Terms of reference
The Committee will:
- advise and make recommendations to Senate on university planning through a regular review of the goals and priorities of the University, in particular its academic departments and programs;
- assess and make recommendations to Senate — or (if appropriate) one of its committees — on proposals for major changes in academic programs and in the size and distribution of student enrolments;
- as part of the budget development process, assess and make recommendations to the appropriate body on the efficient use of the University’s human, physical and financial resources, having due regard for academic, financial and other implications;
- establish procedures for academic unit reviews and oversee the academic unit review process;
- undertake studies into any matters which have implications for the University’s educational objectives and long range plans, and recommend to Senate on appropriate strategies to respond to such issues. Such studies may arise from a review of any unit within the University, or from developments in the field of higher education at the provincial and national levels;
- consider any other issue referred to it by the President, the Senate or one of its committees, the Faculty Council through Senate, or any other University committee or senior administrator;
- report at each meeting of the Senate, and at least once each term this report shall be in writing, with a copy to be sent to the Secretary of the Faculty Council.
As appropriate, resource personnel will be invited to attend meetings of the committee.
The University Planning Committee has 13 members.
Five ex-officio members:
- the vice-president, academic and research (chair) — Jeff Ollerhead
- the University librarian — Marc Truitt
- the three academic deans
- Amanda Cockshutt
- Nauman Farooqi
- Elizabeth Wells
Six faculty or librarians elected by the Senate, with representation from each of the three Faculties:
- Andrew Nurse (2016-2019)
- Ralf Bruening (2015-2018)
- Erin Steuter (2017-2020)
- Juan Carlos Martinez (2017-2020)
- Geoff Cruttwell (2016-2019)
- Patricia Kelly-Spurles (2015-2018)
Two students, elected by the Senate:
- Rachel Howlett
- Noah Fry
At least three ex-officio members, at least four elected faculty or librarians, and at least one student.