Subject: Paper Policy of the Environmental Policy
Approved by: Vice-President, Administration
Approval date: November 28, 2012
Effective date: November 28, 2012
Administered by: Controller
1 — PURPOSE
This policy is intended to reduce overall paper consumption and to shift from the use of virgin paper to the use of more post-consumer recycled paper or paper derived from responsibly managed forests. Such actions are significant for both reducing the volume of solid waste and demonstrating the institution’s commitment to lessening our environmental impact in all areas.
2 — POLICY
It is the University’s policy to
- purchase paper for campus use that contains post-consumer recycled content, or is procured from forests that have been responsibly managed and certified by a third party, when it is economically feasible to do so;
- encourage practices among all members of the University community to reduce overall paper consumption. Such practices include, but are not limited to,
- setting the defaults on printers and photocopiers to duplex;
- accepting student assignments that are duplex, or submitted electronically;
- posting course materials, such as syllabi, online rather than distributing printed copies;
- reducing the number of printed materials that are distributed throughout campus;
- scanning and digitizing documents and records, when it is reasonable to do so;
- saving documents and emails to hard drives, rather than creating printed copies;
- ensuring that recycling or scrap-paper receptacles are readily available near all printers and copiers; and
- promote education to staff, faculty and students about the importance of paper-use reduction.
3 — PERFORMANCE INDICATORS, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND TARGETS
Financial Services will report annually on the type and amount of paper purchased.