During the summer of 2014 we organized four consultation sessions and a number of one-on-one interviews with a cross-section of faculty and librarians to explore how we could best move forward collegially as a University.
Accordingly, I presented a number of important initiatives at University Assembly in August 2014:
- Clarify the roles and status of Senate committees and procedures.
- Recommend that Senate create an executive or agenda committee that would set the collegial agenda for each year.
- Increase collegial discussion amongst the Faculties of Arts, Science, and Social Sciences to improve planning, decision-making, and professional development of future chairs, deans, and vice-presidents.
- Establish a Presidential Budget Advisory Committee that includes faculty, student, and staff participation.
- Create, present, and communicate a long-term staffing strategy.
- Reconfirm and support the primary role of teaching excellence at Mount Allison and ensure teaching facilities and resources are considered in the context of space planning.
- Develop a research statement and strategy that clarifies the role, place, and character of research at Mount Allison.
- Expand the range and number of public celebrations of professional accomplishments.
- Create a collegial Advancement Advisory Council to provide input on fundraising priorities.
- Initiate a collegial process and discussion on space planning and utilization that will help update the Campus Master Plan.
- Create a process to develop the University’s Strategic Statement in 2015-16.