Health services are covered by the following:
- Valid provincial health card for all Canadian students
- Mount Allison Students' Union (MASU) health insurance plan for international students
- Cash or cheque for all students without the above coverage
- Mount Allison Students' Union (MASU) extended health and dental insurance
Valid provincial health card for all Canadian students
Canadian students studying at Mount Allison are covered by their provincial health insurance while at Mount Allison, with the exception of the Province of Quebec. The government of Quebec is the only province which has not entered into a reciprocal billing agreement with physicians from other Canadian provinces. This means that if Quebec students need to access a physician while attending Mount Allison, whether it be a physician at the local hospital, community office, or at the Mount Allison wellness centre on campus, they will be requested to pay a physician fee before being seen by the physician and then the receipt can be sent to the province of Quebec health care for reimbursement.
Mount Allison Student's Union (MASU) health insurance plan for international students
Health insurance for international students at Mount Allison University is mandatory. The health insurance is provided by the company Campus Trust and is included in international students' University fees. Some international students may be able to opt out of purchasing Campus Trust health insurance if they can provide proof of alternate coverage that meets minimum requirements specified by Mount Allison Students' Union (MASU.) MASU's office is located on the second floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre.
Foreign Residents' Agreement Policy: Please note that international students are required to sign this agreement prior to seeing a physician at health services.
Questions about the health insurance plan for international students should be directed to the health plan administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (506) 364-3238.
Further information about the health and dental student insurance plan can be found on the .
Cash or cheque for all students without the above coverage
Physician health care services that are not covered under provincial plans include:
- Physicals and/or medical forms (sports, licensing, travel, etc.)....................................... $50
- Travel consultation, (including multiple prescriptions for travel).................................... $50
- Travel immunization only (if travel consultation has been provided elsewhere) ................ $20
- Physician office visit without insurance ...................................................................... $45
Mount Allison Students' Union (MASU) extended health and dental insurance coverage (https://studentbenefits.ca)
The Mount Allison Students' Union is pleased to offer all Mount Allison students health and dental coverage.
The health plan provides coverage for:
- 80 per cent coverage for prescription drugs (including oral contraceptives) with the use of a pay direct drug card to a maximum of $4,000
- Massage therapy, physiotherapy, acupuncturist, naturopath, and chiropractor — $50/visit to a max of $400 for each
- Ambulance— 100 per cent coverage
- Optometrist — one eye exam every 24 months
- Medical equipment including braces, casts, and splints - $3000 per student year
- Accidental Dental - $1000 per injury
- Orthotics and orthopedic shoes — 50 per cent to a max of $200 per student year
- Charges for hearing aids to a maximum of $400 every 60 months
- Counselling - $600 per year
- Tutorial benefits — $15 per session to a max of $1,000 maximum per disability
- Out of province coverage of $1 million lifetime for 90 day travel or up to 365 days if travelling for school/academic reasons. MUST OPT IN IF GOING ON EXCHANGE FOR A SEMESTER.
The dental plan provides coverage for:
BENEFIT MAXIMUM: $1000 per Student year
- Diagnostic/prevetative: 100% (exams, x-rays)
- Preventative: 100% (Scaling-2units at 100%, 6 units at 80%, polishing - 2 units at 100%)
- Restorative: 80% (fillings)
- Endodontic: 80% (root canals, pulpotomy)
- Periodontic: 80% (root planing, management of oral disease)
- Extractions: 80% (erupted teeth, surgical)
- Minor oral surgery: 80% (residual root removal)
- Major oral surgery: 80% (fractures, surgical excision/incision)
There is online access at: https://studentbenefits.ca for eligibility and updates
Students covered with a health and/or dental benefit plan elsewhere (through parents, spouse, employer, etc.) have the freedom to opt out of the corresponding health plan. There is a simple opt out access online that can be found at https://studentbenefits.ca No proof will be required to opt out of the dental plan.
Students covered with the health and/or dental benefit plan are able to see the licensed health or dental practitioner of their choice.
Questions about the Mount Allison Students' Union (MASU) extended health and dental insurance plan for students should be directed to the health plan administrator at email@example.com or (506) 364-3238.