|A PDF version of the 2011-2012 Academic Calendar is available here.|
Table of Contents
This lectureship was founded and endowed in the autumn of 1925 by the Hon. Josiah Wood, D.C.L., a member of the first Mount Allison class.
The Wood lecturers have included Sir George E. Foster, Sir Robert Falconer, Dr. T.R. Glover, Rev. Lloyd Douglas, James Irvine, Rev. H.J. Cody, Dr. Alfred Noyes, Rev. Richard Roberts, Frank Parker Day, Sir Robert Boothby, Hon. Vincent Massey, Lord Bridges, Dr. Wilder Penfield, Dr. G.P. Grant, the Hon. Robert Stanfield, Dr. John Kenneth Galbraith, the Hon. Dr. Flora MacDonald, and Lester Brown.
This lecture series was established in 1979, through the generosity of the Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Foundation. With the endowment of a fund to provide for the invitation to campus of a distinguished lecturer, the Bronfman Lecture series allows undergraduate researchers at the University the unique experience of meeting with noted scholars.
Distinguished lecturers have included: Professor Maurice Wilkins, FRS, winner of the Nobel Prize for his discovery of DNA, Dr. Brian Josephson, FRS, winner of the Nobel Prize for his work with the Josephson Junction, Prof. Gerhard Herzberg, FRS, winner of the Nobel Prize for his study of interplanetary matter in space, Sir Andrew Huxley, O.M., FRS, for his studies in Physiology and Medicine and Dr. James M. Buchanan for his studies in the Theory of Economics and Political Decision Making.
The Crake Lecture was established in 1978 through the generosity of Dr. J.E.A. Crake, Professor Emeritus of Classics at Mount Allison University, and of the Crake Foundation, thus enabling the Department of Classics, in association with the Crake Foundation, to invite annually a distinguished scholar to give a public lecture on a subject drawn from the cultures of Greece and Rome.
Since the inception of the series the following distinguished academics have delivered the lectures: Professor James Russell, University of British Columbia; Professor Amanda Claridge, Princeton University; Dr. Rupert Bruce-Mitford, British Museum; Professor Malcolm McGregor, University of British Columbia; Professor Geoffrey Kirk, Cambridge University; Professor John Boardman, Oxford University; Professor T.D. Barnes, University of Toronto; Professor Peter Green, University of Texas; Professor C.W.J. Eliot, Mount Allison University; Professor Lillian Feder, City University of New York; Sir Kenneth Dover, Oxford University; Professor Keith Hopkins, Cambridge University; Professor Barry Cunliffe, Oxford University; Professor Elaine Fantham, Princeton University; Professor Oliver Taplin, Oxford University; Professor T.P. Wiseman, University of Exeter; Professor G.P. Goold, Yale University; Professor Susan Treggiari, Stanford University; Professor Eugene N. Borza, Pennsylvania State University; Professor Nial Rudd, University of Bristol; Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, British School at Rome; Professor Erich S. Gruen, University of California at Berkeley; Professor Josiah Ober, Princeton University; Professor Eleanor Winsor Leach, Indiana University; Professor Anne Carson, McGill University; Professor Virginia Hunter, York University; Dr. Ian Morris, Stanford University; Professor Edward Champlin, Princeton University; Professor Susan Rotroff, Washington University, St. Louis; Professor Michael C. J. Putnam, Brown University; Professor Gregory Crane, Tufts University; Professor Keith Bradley, Notre Dame University; and Dr. Helen King, University of Reading.
The Wilford B. Jonah Lecture Series was established in 2000 through the generosity of Wilford B. Jonah, a member of the Class of 1936. The endowment created is intended to provide funds to enable the University to bring to campus persons of high international stature and prominence to give a public lecture and where possible to take part in a forum of discussion with students.
Distinguished lecturers have included: Mordecai Richler, author and essayist; Dr. David Suzuki, scientist, broadcaster and environmental advocate; Dr. Lawrence Krauss, Case Western Reserve University, world renowned physicist and author; Steve Wozniak, co-founder Apple Computers; and Richard Florida, academic and author.
This fellowship was established by the Crake Foundation in 1984 in memory of Dr. J.E.A. Crake. It is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who at the time of taking up the fellowship have completed all course and residential requirements for the Doctorate in Classics and who can reasonably be expected to finish the Doctorate during the year of tenure. The holder is asked to teach the equivalent of six credits and give a public lecture.
Since its inception, the fellowship has been held by William G. Kerr, Princeton University; Johannes vanderLeest, University of Toronto; Sarah M. Bonnycastle, University of Michigan; Carol Gordon, McMaster University; Riemer Faber, University of Toronto; Thomas Goud, University of Toronto; Frances A. Skoczylas, University of Toronto; Christopher Marshall, University of Edinburgh; Angela Kalinowski, University of Toronto; Rebecca Nagel, Harvard University; Gordon Nixon, University of Toronto; John Harris, University of Illinois; Paul Chenier, Stanford University; Leslie Shumka, University of Victoria; Kelly MacFarlane, University of Alberta; Myles McCallum, State University of New York at Buffalo; Brad Levett, University of Washington; Carol King, Brown University; Rachel Levine, University of Toronto; Andrew Faulkner, Oxford University; Aven McMaster, University of Toronto; Allison Surtees, Johns Hopkins University; Milo Nikolic, University of Victoria; and Jody Gordon, University of Cincinnati.
The Trust was established by the Rev. Arthur J. Ebbutt, B.A., B.D., Th.D., D.D., L.L.D., in memory of his wife Helen MacNaughton Ebbutt. Dr. Ebbutt taught at Mount Allison University from 1947 to 1971, serving as Dean of the Faculty of Arts from 1954 to 1963. Under his leadership, a Department of Religion was established in 1960, the name being changed in 1968 to the Department of Religious Studies.
The Trust is intended to promote a standard of excellence within the Department of Religious Studies by supporting activities which augment those financed through the regular budget. These include provision of scholarships for students in Religious Studies, acquisition of new Library resources in Religious Studies, and sponsoring lectures by reputable scholars in Biblical and Theological Studies.
Ebbutt Lectures have been delivered by Malcolm Miller, Chartres Cathedral (1982); Dr. William Klassen, Inter-Faith Academy of Peace, Jerusalem (1985); Dr. Douglas J. Hall of McGill University (1988); Sir Owen Chadwick of Cambridge University (1989); Dr. Willem Saayman of the University of South Africa (1991); Dr. Eileen Schuller of McMaster University (1992); Dr. William Klempa of Presbyterian College, Montreal; Dr. John S. Moir of the University of Toronto (1994); Prof. A. Üner Turgay, Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University (1996); Dr. Victor Sogen Hori of McGill University (2000); and Dr. Erin Runions of Pomona College (2006).
The University is fortunate in the number of endowed professorships that have been established, and is very grateful to those who, by generous gift or bequest, have made them possible. The endowment of a Chair is a highly valued means of supporting the University and a particularly wise investment in higher education.
Information about the endowed chairs is of historical significance, and of general interest, too. Some of it is summarized here.
The endowment for this Chair was provided by a bequest from the estate of Clement Chandler Avard, 1875-1956. Born in Point de Bute, he graduated from the New Brunswick Teachers' College and Mount Allison, B.A., 1898. He was called to the Bar in New Brunswick in 1901 but did not practice. He established the Sackville Tribune in 1902 and the Tribune Printing Company in 1906, and continued in control of these companies until 1947. During his lifetime he served on the Board of Directors of several Maritime Companies.
He had a deep interest in education. For fifteen years he served as Chairman of the Sackville School Board. He was a member of the Board of Regents of Mount Allison for thirty-four years, and also served as Chairman. In 1948 he was honoured by Mount Allison University with a Doctor of Literature Degree.
The Chair, established in 1956, has been held by Allan MacBeth, B.A., M.A., 1956-1965; J. Gordon Andison, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 1965-1970; and Peter Edwards, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2005-2007.
The Walter B. Cowan Chair in Religious Studies is endowed with a bequest from Walter B. Cowan, a distinguished lawyer and prominent United Church layman. Charles H.H. Scobie, S.T.M., M.A., B.D., Ph.D., D.D., was appointed the first Cowan Professor of Religious Studies in 1985.
Believed to be the first of its kind in Canada, the Edgar and Dorothy Davidson Chair of Canadian Studies was established in 1969. The Chair has been most generously endowed and is named in honour of Dr. Edgar Davidson and Dr. Dorothy Davidson of Ottawa.
Mr. and Mrs. Davidson have over the years gathered together a rich collection of Canadiana books, imprints and manuscripts of great rarity and value and many fine examples of early Canadian glass, of Canadian furniture of the 18th Century, and of Canadian painting and sculpture of the 19th and 20th Centuries. In making the gift of this superb collection to Mount Allison, the donors stated that:
The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: George F.G. Stanley, O.C., B.A., B.Litt., M.A., D.Phil., D-es-L., D.Litt., LL.D., D.C.L., F.R. Hist.S., F.R.S.C., 1969-1975; Douglas Grant Lochhead, B.A., M.A., B.L.S., D.Litt, LL.D., F.R.S.C., 1975-1987; Lawrence D. McCann, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 1987-1992; and William Cross, B.A., M.P.S., J.D., M.A., Ph.D., 2001-2005; Frank Strain, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2005-2010; and Christl Verduyn, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2010-2015.
This Chair is named in honour of the late Fred C. Manning, an outstanding Nova Scotian industrialist and distinguished Allisonian whose generous bequest to the University made possible its establishment.
Dr. Manning was born in Falmouth, Nova Scotia and attended Mount Allison Academy 1909-1910. When presented for the honorary degree at the May Convocation at Mount Allison in 1955 it was stated:
Dr. Manning contributed to Mount Allison the cost of the Physics and Engineering Building, which is dedicated “to the advancement of Scientific knowledge.” Mrs. Manning contributed funds for decorating and furnishing the Manning Room in the Chapel, as “an expression of her deep interest and concern for the religious life of the University Community.”
Professor Dan C. Patridge, B.Sc., M.B.A., was the Fred C. Manning Professor of Commerce from 1971 to 1996.
The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: Roy Balmer Liddy, B.D., Ph.D., 1915-1931; Charles Arthur Krug, M.A., B.D., 1931-1947; Clayton Amos Baxter, M.A., Ph.D., 1947-1965; and Cyril Francis Poole, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 1965-1977; Paul Bogaard, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2006-2010.
This Chair was established in 1966 with a generous endowment from the estate of Winthrop Pickard Bell, B.A., M.A., Ph.D. This very substantial bequest to Mount Allison was in memory of Dr. Bell's mother, Mary Emerancy Pickard Bell, the first teacher of piano in the Conservatory of Music, 1873-1882. (In 1965 Dr. Ralph P. Bell, brother of Dr. Winthrop Bell, donated the Mount Allison Chapel Organ, also in memory of his mother). Mary Emerancy Pickard Bell graduated from the Mount Allison Ladies' College in 1866 with a degree of Mistress of Liberal Arts. From 1866-1869 she taught Literature, Mathematics and Calisthenics at the Ladies College, and in 1873 she joined the Faculty of the Conservatory of Music.
Winthrop P. Bell was one of Mount Allison's most illustrious and loyal graduates. An outstanding scholar, he graduated with honours in Mathematics, Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degree. He also earned an M.A. from Harvard and a Ph.D. from Gottigen, Germany. He lectured at the University of Toronto and at Harvard University, eventually returning to Nova Scotia to engage in business and pursue scholarly activities.
A loyal Allisonian and churchman, he annually supported the financial program of the university and encouraged classmates and friends to rally around their "alma mater." It is for one of his earliest works, composed when a student at Mount Allison, that he is best remembered by all Allisonians, for he wrote the lyrics of the "Alma Mater" song. Since 1906 this song has been sung by students at the University and by Allisonians throughout the world. Dr. Bell served on the Board of Regents from 1948-1951. He died in 1965.
In 1965 Mount Allison received Dr. Winthrop Bell's entire library, more than half of which is a very valuable collection of Acadiana.
The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: George A. Procter, B.A., M.Mus., Ph.D., 1967-1974; and Nancy F. Vogan, B.A., M.Mus., Ph.D., 2005-2014.
This Chair was established in 1969 in honour of the Reverend Mr. Purvis by a generous endowment from the estate of his son, Mr. William Sterling Purvis, a retired merchant of Warwick, Bermuda. Mr. William S. Purvis was a member of the class of 1905; his father served in pastorates in the Nova Scotia Conference of the United Church of Canada. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: Arthur Motyer, B.A., M.A., 1970-1994; Carrie MacMillan, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2005-2008; and Robert Lapp, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2009-2014.
Initial funding of this Chair came from a bequest of Obed Edmund Smith in 1938. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: Donald Gordon MacGregor, B.A., M.A., 1938-1964; William John Noble, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., 1972-1979; James Horace Matthews, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., 1984-1994; and Ralf Brüning, M.Sc., Ph.D., 2004-2014.
Initial funding for this Chair was provided from the estate of Obed Edmund Smith in 1938. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: William Hayward McEwen, M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., 1938-1946; William Stanley Hayes Crawford, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., D.Sc., 1946-1982; Michael Edelstein, M.Sc., 1984-1986; Elmer Melvin Tory, B.Sc., Ph.D., 1989-1996; Margaret Beattie, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., 2006-2010; and Robert Rosebrugh, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., 2010-2015.
This Chair was endowed in 1943 with a generous gift from Viscount R.B. Bennett. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: George F.G. Stanley, O.C., C.St.J., B.A., M.A., B.Litt., D.Phil., D-es-L., D.Lit., D.C.L., F.R.Hist.S. , F.R.S.C. , 1943-1947; Donald Grady Kerr, B.A., Ph.D., 1947-1958; Philip Anthony Lockwood, M.A., 1959-1964; and William Godfrey, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., 2003-2006.
In 1866, Josiah Wood established an endowment of $15,000 for this chair, and Alfred Smith was appointed the first Wood Professor of Classics. An additional contribution to the endowment was made in 1934. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: Alfred Smith, 1886-1917; C.B. Delano, 1917-1919; J.W. Cohoon, 1919-1946; J.E.A. Crake, 1947-1977; and C.W.J. Eliot, 1978-1985.
Initial funding for this Chair was provided from Joseph Allison in 1921 and was later combined with funds from Charles F. Allison. The following scholars have held the chair since establishment: William Tweedie, 1921-1936; Henry Gundy, 1943-1947; Lloyd Duchemin, 1947-1974; Michael Thorpe, 1990-1997; and Karen Bamford, 2006-2011.
The Tucker award was endowed in 1983 by members of the Tucker family to perpetuate the memory of their parents, the Reverend Herbert Tucker, B.A., M.A., M.Ed., Ph.D., one time Joseph L. Black, Professor of Economics and Sociology and Head of the Department, and former Dean of the Faculty of Arts and University Registrar, and his wife, Leota Tucker. The annual prize recognizes outstanding effectiveness in the university classroom as well as broader influence within the university community and the wider constituency it serves. The recipient is expected to deliver a public lecture on a subject of his or her own choice. The award was first presented in 1984 to Alexander Boyd Fancy, B.A., M.A., Professor of French; in 1985 to Evron Norinne Kinsman, B.Mus., M.A., Professor of Music; in 1986 to Kathryn Eryl Hamer, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of French; in 1987 to Clifford Marsden Allen, B.Sc., M.Sc., Professor of Geology; in 1988 to Robert Lewis Hawkes, B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc., Ph.D., Professor of Physics; in 1989 to David Pierce Beatty, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of History; in 1990 to Carrie MacMillan, B.A, M.A., Ph.D., Professor of English; in 1991 to John T. Macfarlane, B.A., M.Sc., Professor of Physics; in 1992 to B. Arthur Miller, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science; in 1993 to Ross Barclay, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry; in 1994 to Roland Crooks, B.A., M.A., Associate Professor of Psychology; in 1995 to Judith A. Weiss, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Spanish; in 1996 to Robert G. Thompson, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Professor of Biology; in 1997 to Charles Hugh Hope Scobie, M.A., B.D., Ph.D., D.D., Cowan Professor of Religious Studies; in 1998 to Vincent Conrad Reinsborough, B.A., S.T.B., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry; in 1999 to Roger Calkins, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of English; in 2000 to Robert Summerby-Murray, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., A.T.C.L., Assistant Professor of Geography; in 2001 to Dennis Tokaryk, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Physics; in 2002 to Deborah Wills, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of English; in 2003 to Robert Lapp, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor in English; in 2004 to Ivan Cohen, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Classics; in 2005 Nancy F. Vogan, B.A., M.Mus., Ph.D., Professor of Music; in 2006 to Erin Steuter, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Sociology; in 2007 to Louise Wasylkiw, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology; in 2008 to Elizabeth Wells, B. Mus., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Music; in 2009 to Craig Brett, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Economics; in 2010 to Bruce Robertson, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Classics and in 2011 to Colin Laroque, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Geography and Environment.
In 1995 Paul Paré Medal to Jean-Guy Godin; Paul Paré Excellence Awards to Felix Baerlocher, Pat Baker, Peter Edwards, Andy Gann, Thaddeus Holownia, and Robert Ireland.
In 1996 Paul Paré Medal to Felix Baerlocher; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Raymond Blake, Edmund Dawe, Basil Favaro, Andy Gann, Jean-Guy Godin, Thaddeus Holownia, Jack Stewart, Frank Strain, and David Torrance.
In 1997 Paul Paré Medal to Frank Strain; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Catharine Baker, Margaret Beattie, Penny Bryden, Peter Edwards, Jean-Guy Godin, Eldon Hay, Irena Kaczmarska-Ehrman, and Alexander Wilson.
In 1998 Paul Paré Medal to Thaddeus Holownia; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Felix Baerlocher, Penny Bryden, Terrence Craig, Jean-Guy Godin, Robert Hawkes, David Mossman, Jeff Ollerhead, and Frank Strain.
In 1999 Paul Paré Medal to Robert Hawkes; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Felix Baerlocher, Margaret Beattie, Raymond Blake, Penny Bryden, Doug Campbell, Peter Edwards, Rick Langler, Carrie MacMillan, and Rosemary Polegato.
In 2000 Paul Paré Medal to Felix Baerlocher; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Doug Campbell, Bill Cross, Peter Edwards, Thaddeus Holownia, Irena Kaczmarska, James Stark, and Stephen Westcott.
In 2001 Paul Paré Medal to Peter Edwards, Stephen Westcott; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Felix Baerlocher, Karen Bamford, Margaret Beattie, Bill Cross, Edmund Dawe, Robert Hawkes, Thaddeus Holownia, and Richard Langler.
In 2002 Paul Paré Medal to Felix Baerlocher; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Monika Boehringer, Ralf Brüning, Bill Cross, Douglas Campbell, Peter Edwards, Richard Langler, Jeff Ollerhead, and Stephen Westcott.
In 2003 Paul Paré Medal to William Cross, Rick Langler; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Robert Summerby-Murray, Stephen Westcott, Penny Bryden, Jeffrey Burns, William Godfrey, and Jack Stewart.
In 2004 Paul Paré Medal to Alex Fancy, Ralf Brüning; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Karen Bamford, Mark Blagrave, Jeff Ollerhead, Robert Rosebrugh, Nancy Vogan, Brad Walters, Stephen Westcott, and Stacey Wetmore.
In 2005 Paul Paré Medal to Jeffrey Burns, Douglas Campbell; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Felix Baerlocher, Nauman Farooqi, David Fleming, Thaddeus Holownia, Irena Kaczmarska, Stephen Law, Helen Pridmore, and Steve Westcott.
In 2006 Paul Paré Medal to Felix Baerlocher, Robert Hawkes, and Thaddeus Holownia; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Terry Belke, Glen Briand, Suzie Currie, Erik Edson, Nauman Farooqi, William Godfrey, Odette Gould, Colin Laroque, Jennifer Macklem, Laurie Ricker, Erin Steuter, and Brad Walters.
In 2007 Paul Paré Medal to Irena Kaczmarska; Paul Paré Excellence Award to Mohammad Ahmady, Craig Brett, David Fleming, Colin Laroque, Gayle Martin and Stephen Westcott.
In 2008 Paul Paré Medal to Catharine Baker; Paul Paré Excellence Awards to Michael Fox, Thaddeus Holownia, David Hornidge, Jane Mullen, Vett Lloyd, Felix Baerlocher, and Stephen Westcott.
In 2009 Paul Paré Medal to Craig Brett; Paul Paré Excellence Awards to Monika Boehringer, Suzie Currie, Zoe Finkel, Diana Hamilton, and Brad Walters.
In 2010 Paul Paré Medal to Suzie Currie; Paul Paré Excellence Awards to Fiona Black, Khashayar Ghandi, Odette Gould, Andrew Irwin, Colin Laroque, Bruce Robertson, Stephen Runge, Erin Steuter, and Deborah Wills.
In 2011 Paul Paré Medal to Stephen Westcott; Paul Paré Excellence Awards to Felix Baerolocher, Zoe Finkel, Gina Grandy, Thaddeus Holownia, David Hornidge, Mark Lee, Andrew Nurse, Gene Ouellette, and Elizabeth Wells.
Copyright © 2011 Mount Allison University
Maintained by the Webmaster