Klagenfurt War Cemetery
Klagenfurt is the capital of Carinthia, and the war cemetery is about two miles west of the town. It is the only Commonwealth war cemetery in the country and was opened in June 1945 by the British occupying forces (British Troops Austria--BTA). They moved into it all (except one) of the Commonwealth burials scattered throughout the country, which included those of prisoners-of-war, airmen, and others who had died after the war while on garrison duties. It contains over 500 British burials, four Canadian, 30 Australian, 25 New Zealand, 20 South African and six Indian. There are also, in Klagenfurt (Annabichl) Cemetery, about two miles away, nearly 60 non-world-war burials of British servicemen who died during the occupation after the end of the 'war period' (31st December 1947). The British, and one German, graves in this cemetery are marked by non-war pattern granite markers, and are maintained by the Commission on an agency basis for the British authorities.
|The text on this page has been taken from Courage Remembered, by Kingsley Ward and Major Edwin Gibson.|