Cliveden War Cemetery, Taplow, Bucks
The cemetery is in an excavation in the high, steep hillside which forms the wooded left bank of the River Thames along the Cliveden House Estate formerly owned by the Astor Family. During the 1914-1918 War, Lady Astor opened this estate for the recuperation of wounded and the presence of a war cemetery in these surroundings is most unusual. It contains 42 burials of the 1914-1918 War, of which 28 were Canadian (two were nursing sisters), and two American; 19 Americans were repatriated after the Armistice. The other burials are British, Australian and New Zealand. The cemetery is laid out as a sunken Roman garden, with symbolic broken pillars, a large font, and an allegoric statue. The markers are the original, rather small plain stones still recumbent on the graves. The cemetery was used by the hospital at Taplow which, from December 1914 to September 1917, was known as the Duchess of Connaught Canadian Red Cross Hospital and then, until September 1919, became No 15 Canadian General Hospital. There are also one Canadian and one British burial of the 1939-1945 War. This cemetery and Cannock Chase War Cemetery are the only two in Britain to have 'War Cemetery' in their title.
|The text on this page has been taken from Courage Remembered, by Kingsley Ward and Major Edwin Gibson.|