Ladies' College Library
Ladies’ College students, along with students from the Male Academy and the College, used the Lingley Hall library until 1878.  In that year the Mount Allison Board of Governors, the Alumni Society and the Eurhetorian Society each voted sums of money to purchase books, and a decision was made to divide the 3,000 volumes in Lingley among the three institutions.  The Ladies’ College was given 1,000 volumes allowing it to establish its first independent library.

In 1881, the Alumnae Society began giving money annually for the purchase of books and this continued until 1886 when other priorities prevented it from continuing. In 1896, Vice-Principal Mary Mellish Archibald urged the Society to once again place an emphasis on book purchases and several fund raisers were held. By 1902, there were 500 volumes in the Alumnae Society collection, about 300 of which were valuable modern books of use in the school’s work. However, there was a large loss of books through damage and theft, and it was decided that a change was necessary to protect the collection. In addition, Mount Allison alumnus and Ladies' College Librarian, Raymond Clare Archibald, began to develop the Mary Mellish Archibald Memorial Library (MMAML) in 1901, further straining the allotted space.

In autumn of 1902, two large, bright rooms in the Ladies' College were assigned to the library – one to the book and magazine collections and the second to store less important volumes. The original small room was used for newspapers. Principle reference books were accessible to all students on open shelves and a reference desk; other volumes were placed in locked cases with glass doors and these were charged out by the librarian as required.  In addition, a large number of magazines were bought, a 16 drawer card catalogue cabinet was purchased, and all the books were catalogued in detail.  With numerous donations and purchases, within a year the new library rooms were full and by 1904 there were 3,000 volumes and a large number of manuscripts, pamphlets and maps.

In 1904, it was once again necessary to provide larger rooms to accommodate the collection. The former Y.W.C.A. room, in a quiet part of the Ladies’ College building, was given for the use of the library, while one of the old library rooms was made into a reading room for magazines and the other used for storing magazines. A large table capable of seating ten readers was placed in the new room, and new shelving was introduced.  As periodical literature was beginning to assume greater importance in the modern library, the librarian also began to acquire periodicals such as Harpers Magazine, The American Bookman and the Canadian Magazine.

The Ladies’ College library continued as a separate entity until the Memorial Library was opened in 1927. At that time, the bulk of the collection was moved, although a small library remained in the Ladies' College.

 

 

Ladies' College Library.

Taken from a calendar published by the Ladies' College, 1904


Student Handbook, 1905

re: Ladies' College Library

Mount Allison Archives MAGIC files