Banner for virtual exhibition.

Home | Mount Allison University | Mount Allison University Libraries | Mount Allison University Archives


Home

Topics

 

Natural Environment

First People and the Marsh

European Contact and Mapping

Acadian Settlement

Occupation by English-speaking Settlers

Agricultural Improvement

Marsh Economy and Society in the 20th Century

Marsh as Muse

Surname Indexes

Archival Sources

Bibliography

Links

Timeline

Acknowledgements

Technical Information

Copyright Information

Contact Information

James D. and Frederic A. Dixon fonds

DATES OF CREATION:
1861-1893, 1951

PHYSICAL EXTENT:
3 cm of textual records. 2 photograph: col. ; 11.5 x 16.5 cm

ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH:
James Dunbar Dixon (1819-1900) was the son of Edward and Mary (Smith) Dixon, Edward being the son of Charles and Susannah (Coates) Dixon, Yorkshire settlers who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick in 1772. James D. Dixon married Eunice Black, daughter of George Black of Dorchester, and lived in the house he built in 1847 (now 59 Charles St., residence of Dr. John Murray) on part of the homestead farm of his father and grandfather. He was appointed Collector of Customs in 1855 and held the office until 1882. He was treasurer for the Sackville and Westmorland Agriculture Society and also connected with the Provincial Board of Agriculture. He took an active interest in agricultural affairs, and was on several occasions a delegate to select stock for importation, on one occasion buying in Ontario several short horn Durhams for the government, and also two for his own farm. In 1871 he and others were responsible for the agriculture exhibition held in Sackville, and as a result the exhibition property was purchased. In 1877 he retired from the farm, leaving it in the hands of his sons, and erected a smaller house nearer the town on a portion of his father's property.

Frederic Agtha Dixon (1860-1942) was the youngest son of James D. Dixon. He attended Mount Allison University, graduating in 1881 with a B.A. degree. During his years at Mount Allison he held various offices in the Eurhetorian Society and was business editor for the Argosy student newspaper. After graduation he took up farming on the ancestral farm in Sackville, and that same year married Maggie J. Patterson (Ladies' College 1880-1881), also of Sackville. By 1887 he was teaching school in Point de Bute, and later taught at Upper Sackville. In 1895 he accepted the position of Principal of the Dalhousie Grammar School, Dalhousie, NB. In 1899 he became the first Principal of the new Sackville High School.

CUSTODIAL HISTORY:
Fonds had been in the possession of Byron Duffy of Dorchester, New Brunswick

SCOPE AND CONTENTS:
Fonds consists of a ledger containing a record of import duties collected at the Port of Sackville, Westmorland County, NB, by James D. Dixon, Collector of Customs, Nov. 4, 1861-Jan. 6, 1868. The ledger also contains F.A. Dixon’s Day Book and Cash Book, 1887-1892; egg account; fertilizer account; account of potatoes planted; payments received for insurance, invoices, cancelled cheques, and letter, 1886-1892; and 2 photographs, 1951.

SOURCE OF TITLE:
Title based on content of the fonds

ACCRUALS:
Not expected

ASSOCIATED MATERIALS:
None known

FINDING AIDS:
Inventory available at repository

IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF ACQUISITION:
Fonds donated by Byron Duffy, Dorchester, NB, and delivered to the Archives by Robert Cunningham, Nov. 5, 1974.

LANGUAGE:
English

LOCATION OF ORIGINALS:
Mount Allison University Archives

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Not available

RELATED RECORDS:
Dixon family records also located in Accessions 6101, 7818, 8743, 8848, and 9909. Register for warehouse storage and delivery acc. 8743/3 contains further information related to the merchandise imported and recorded in 7428

ALL OTHER NOTES:
Microfilm (positive, 1 reel) copy available. Researchers are asked to use copy rather than original

RETRIEVAL NO.:
7428

REPOSITORY:
Mount Allison University Archives

RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS, USE AND REPRODUCTION:
Open for research purposes. Copying and/or publication permitted only with written permission of the Mount Allison University Archives

Back to Top


Canadian Heritage Logo.
This project was made possible -in part or entirely - through the Canadian Culture Online Program of Canadian Heritage, the National Archives of Canada and the Canadian Council of Archives.