Banner for virtual exhibition.

Retrieval Number: 8317/3/7/90
Amos Patterson and Edward Anderson lease of barn storage and agreement concerning the use of hay press, January 22, 1880.
Mount Allison University Archives, Albert Anderson family fonds.
May be reproduced only with permission of Mount Allison University Archives

The use of the “beater hay press” became increasingly important in the latter decades of the 19th-century as the marsh hay economy gained momentum. These devices probably followed the design of the patented Dederick Hay Press manufactured in Albany, New York after 1867. The press, a multi-level structure, in which hay was fed from above and progressively “beaten” down into a chamber where a bundle or bale was formed, which when finished was secured with wire and removed ready for shipping. Horses were used to power the beater. It is possible that versions of these devices were made locally and installed in barns dedicatied to this purpose. In this case, for an annual sum of $20, Patterson agrees to lease a two-thirds share of the press and its associated power (likely a horse tread mill winch) and to also provide Anderson with one-half of the space in the press barn and one-half the space in the “hay bay” of his Middle barn with the “linter” [lean-to??] attached for a storage room. Anderson was thus assured a covered space in which to process and store hay in preparation for its sale and export. For more on hay pressing see: 8317/3/1, The Edward Anderson diary.

Back to Top

© 2004 Mount Allison University
Sackville, New Brunswick
Maintained by the Webmaster
Canadian Heritage Logo.
This project was made possible -in part or entirely - through the Canadian Culture Online Program of Canadian Heritage, the National Archives of Canada and the Canadian Council of Archives.
Archives Canada logo.