Subject: categories: preprint: Exactness and stability in homotopical algebra

From: [email-masked] (Marco Grandis)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:15:45 +0100

The following preprint is available:

M. Grandis, Exactness and stability in homotopical algebra,
Dip. Mat. Univ. Genova, Preprint 419 (2000)

Abstract. Exact sequences are a well known notion in homological algebra.
We investigate here the more vague properties of 'homotopical exactness',
appearing for instance in the fibre or cofibre sequence of a map.
   Such notions of exactness can be given for very general 'categories with
homotopies' having homotopy kernels and cokernels, but become more
interesting under suitable 'stability' hypotheses, satisfied - in
particular - by chain complexes. It is then possible to measure the default
of homotopical exactness of a sequence by the homotopy type of a certain
object, a sort of 'homotopical homology'.

Available as ps-file at:
ftp://pitagora.dima.unige.it/WWW/FTP/GRANDIS/Exa.Aug00.ps    (255 K)

or via home page:
http://www.dima.unige.it/STAFF/GRANDIS/

With best regards,

Marco Grandis

Dipartimento di Matematica
Universita' di Genova
via Dodecaneso 35
16146 GENOVA, Italy

e-mail: [email-masked]
tel: +39.010.353 6805   fax: +39.010.353 6752