Subject: categories: FMCS 2004 (Calgary)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:48:31 -0700 (MST)

A preliminary announcement for FMCS 2004:
__________________________________________________________

     FFFFFFF  M    M   CCC   SSS
     F        MM  MM  C     S
     FFFFF    M MM M  C      SSS
     F        M    M  C         S
     F        M    M   CCC   SSS          2004 (CALGARY)

_________________________________________________________

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~robin/FMCS/FMCS_04/index.html
_________________________________________________________

This year's meeting on Foundational Method in Computer Science
(FMCS 2004) will be hosted by the Programming Languages
Group at the University of Calgary, June 4th -- June 6th
and will be held at the Kananaskis Field Station.

Next years meeting will be in Vancouver at UBC ...

__________________________________________________________

FOUNDATIONAL METHODS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE

The workshop is an informal meeting to bring together researchers
in mathematics and computer science with a focus on the applications
of category theory in computer science.  It is a three day meeting,
which starts with a day of tutorials (Friday 4th June) aimed at
students and newcomers to category theory, followed by a day and a
half of research talks (Saturday, 5st June and Sunday, 6th June).
There will be a series of invited presentations (TBA).  The remaining
research talks are solicited from the participants.

If you wish to give a talk please let us know by sending an abstract
and title to Robin Cockett or Craig Pastro (see e-mail address below)
before the 21st May.

Student participation at FMCS is particularly encouraged.  There
are limited funds to provide support for students who wish to attend
the workshop (see below).
__________________________________________________________

Support for graduate students:
__________________________________________________________

We particularly encourage graduate students to attend FMCS and to
present their work.  If you wish to give a presentation at FMCS
you should send a title and a brief abstract to Robin Cockett
([email-masked]).  We would like to receive these abstracts
before beginning of May so that we can arrange the schedule before
the meeting itself.

Some limited funding is available to support graduate students who
wish to attend FMCS.  To apply for this money, you should contact
Robin Cockett with the following information:

1) A one-page email letter stating your background as well as why you
   are interested in attending.
2) The letter should also state whether you have access to any other
   funding to attend.
3) An email letter of reference from your supervisor or an appropriate
   other person.

Applications should be made as soon as possible but before
Friday 7th May.

__________________________________________________________

Organizer: Robin Cockett ([email-masked])
Local organizer: Craig Pastro ([email-masked])