Subject: categories: Update: Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages

From: Peter Selinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:11:18 -0500 (EST)

Dear colleagues,

relative to what I sent last month, the following announcement has
been updated in three places, marked "*** NEW ***" below. Best wishes,
-- Peter

            SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

     2nd International Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages
                  (QPL2004)

           July 12-13, 2004, Turku, Finland
              Affiliated with LICS 2004

     http://quasar.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~selinger/qpl2004/

                * * *

  The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working
  on mathematical formalisms and programming languages for quantum
  computing. In the last few years, there has been a growing interest
  in logical tools, languages, and semantical methods for analyzing
  quantum computation. These foundational approaches complement the
  more mainstream research in quantum computation which emphasizes
  algorithms and complexity theory.

  Possible topics include the syntax and semantics of quantum
  programming languages, new paradigms for quantum programming,
  specification of quantum algorithms, higher-order quantum
  computation, quantum data types, reversible computation, axiomatic
  approaches to quantum computation, concurrent and distributed
  quantum computation, compilation of quantum programs, semantical
  methods in quantum information theory, and categorical models for
  quantum computation.

  The first workshop in this series was held June 15-16, 2003, in
  Ottawa, Canada.

INVITED SPEAKER: *** NEW ***

  Richard Jozsa (Bristol)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE: *** NEW ***

  Samson Abramsky (Oxford)
  Prakash Panangaden (McGill)
  Peter Selinger (Ottawa)

SUBMISSION PROCEDURES:

  The workshop will be a 1.5-day workshop. Those who wish to give a
  talk should submit a one-page abstract (or a full paper up to 12
  pages, if available) by April 25 to [email-masked]
  (please put "workshop submission" in the subject line).  Authors of
  accepted abstracts or papers will be encouraged to submit a full
  version (subject to a page limit, details to be announced) for
  inclusion in the informal workshop proceedings (to be distributed at
  the workshop) by June 7. There will also be a special issue of the
  journal MSCS devoted to the workshop, see below.

SPECIAL PROCEEDINGS ISSUE OF MSCS: *** NEW ***

  There will be a special issue of the journal Mathematical Structures
  in Computer Science (MSCS, Cambridge University Press) devoted to
  this workshop and areas represented at the workshop. There will be a
  period of at least 4 months for revising and submitting the papers
  after the workshop.

REGISTRATION:

  Registration and local arrangements will be handled through the
  LICS 2004 main conference (http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/als/lics/lics04/).
  There will be a small fee for attending the workshop, which will
  cover lunch, coffee, and the informal proceedings.

IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

  Submission of abstracts:      April 25, 2004
  Notification of acceptance:       May 20, 2004
  Paper for informal proceedings:   June 7, 2004
  Workshop:             July 12-13, 2004
  Journal paper due:            November 21, 2004

CONTACT INFORMATION:

  Organizer: Peter Selinger
  Department of Mathematics and Statistics
  University of Ottawa, Canada
  Email: [email-masked]

(revised March 22, 2004)