Subject: categories: jobs galore in Glasgow

From: Tom Leinster <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 2004 17:36:02 +0000

The University of Glasgow is hiring four Lecturers in Mathematics.  Some
of these appointments may be at the Senior Lecturer level.  Details are
at

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobfiles/PK506.html

As I only started here myself in October, maybe I can say some things
that will be useful to people thinking of applying.  I've found the
department a very pleasant place to be.  As well as Richard Steiner and
me in category theory, there are a lot of algebraists (one of the
largest algebra groups in the UK), a good bunch of topologists and
geometers, and (best of all) a lot of interaction between the different
groups.  For example, last term there was a study group/"working
seminar" on model categories run by the algebraic topologists.  There
are plenty of people around with whom a category theorist can have a
meaningful mathematical conversation, and I've yet to meet anyone here
who makes me feel like an alien (as sometimes happens).  So despite
there not being a large category theory group as such (yet), I've felt
no sense of intellectual isolation.  And as you can see from the rate
we're hiring, there's a lot of fresh blood coming in.

Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the UK, after St Andrew's and
two places whose names I forget.  Glasgow was 1990 European city of
culture, 1999 UK city of architecture and design, and 2003 European
capital of sport.  I am told that we also have the tallest cinema in
Europe.

If you want any further information then feel free to get in touch.

Tom