To be awarded in their graduating year to undergraduate students who have successfully completed the following requirements:
- Be a TA responsible for labs (excludes marking only) in at least two different Math or Computer Science courses, for a full semester each.
- Attend a TA orientation session offered by the department or a comparable workshop.
- Enhance the teaching of a course in some concrete way with consultation and under the supervision of the course instructor. For example, the TA could present a short segment of supplementary material in a lab session, could prepare a short hand-out (or web posting) featuring problems of a type observed to cause difficulties in the lab, could contribute to the creation of lab material, could offer a pre-test or pre-exam review session, or otherwise demonstrate good judgement, mature teaching ability and involvement in curriculum enhancement. The course instructor (faculty) or lab supervisor (staff member) will then complete a short short with comments upon successful completion of this requirement. TAs hoping to fulfill this requirement in a particular semester and those closest to their graduation date will be given priority.
- Complete and submit a TA Certificate application form by the last day of classes of the student's graduating year.
- Obtain an application form from the Math/CS office, the first year you work as a TA. (For current TAs, do this as soon as possible.)
- Complete and return the updated form to the office each year before March 15th.
- Certificates are awarded each year during Convocation weekend.
- A record is kept on file of those awarded certificates; with the student's permission, this information may be used in letters of reference written on the student's behalf.