Where do political scientists work?

As a political science graduate you can work in a variety of areas in public life, including political campaigns, advocacy groups, policy research, public relations firms, provincial and federal government, consulting and teaching. A number of graduates become interns or legislative assistants. Some of our graduates go into business. The degree is also an excellent foundation for graduate work in law, business (MBA), journalism or political science.

Recent graduates are currently pursuing post-graduate study in political science, law, and journalism at a number of Canadian universities including McGill, University of Toronto, Dalhousie, Kings College, and University of British Columbia.

To read about what some of our former students are doing now, please click here.

The Canadian Political Science Association has a guide to being a legislative assistant. This includes a description of the work that entails and how to go about getting a job on the Hill.

Canadian Foreign Service


Canadian Political Science Association - Careers and Internship page
Parliamentary Information and Research Service Internship Program
The Council of the Federation Youth Internship Program
The International Youth Internship Program-CIDA
B.C. Legislative Internship Program
The Saskatchewan Legislative Internship Program
Programme de stage à l'Assemblée nationale

Ontario Legislature Internship Program 

Parliamentary Internship Program
New Brunswick Public Service Internship Program
Alberta Public Service Careers
The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars


What can I do with a Political Science Degree?


Mount Allison University has a Career Services Coordinator who offers a wide variety of services to students and to potential employers of students. Please visit the Career Services website for more information.

Or on Facebook:
LIKE 'Mount Allison Careers' on Facebook