Terms of reference
The Board will approve, reject, propose modifications to, or terminate any proposed or ongoing research involving human subjects which is conducted within, or by members of, Mount Allison University, using the considerations set forth in the Tri-Council (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) Policy Statement on Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS2) as the minimum standard.
The Research Ethics Board has seven members.
Six faculty or librarians, elected by the Senate (according to specified criteria):
- Barb Clayton (2017-2020)
- Erik Edson (2016-2019)
- Nancy Garon (2017-2020)
- Lisa Dawn Hamilton (Chair) (2017-2019)
- Christiana MacDougall (2018-2021)
- Erin Steuter (2017-2019)
One member who has no affiliation with the institution, elected by the Senate:
- Nancy Williamson (2016-2019)
- At least two members must have broad expertise in the methods or areas of research that are covered by the REB.
- At least one member must be knowledgeable in ethics.
- Both men and women must be represented.
- The REB will work with the Senate Committee on Committees in identifying nominees for vacancies.
- Before the start of the next academic year, the Committee will elect one of the faculty or librarians to be chair of the Committee, and the Committee on Committees will be informed.
- The Director, Office of Research Services, attends meetings as a resource person to the committee.
At least four elected members.