Subject: No-Smoking Policy
Approved by: The President
Approval date: December 8, 1989
Effective date: January 1, 1990
Revised: July 31, 2018; December 19, 2012; December 4, 2004
Administered by: Vice-President (Finance &Administration)
The purpose of this policy is to set rules regarding smoking, which includes, but is not limited to, tobacco products, cannabis, as well as electronic smoking products including vaping, and other electronic smoking devices.
This policy applies to all individuals who work, study or visit the University’s campus and buildings and use its vehicles.
1. Except as provided in the next section, there shall be no smoking
- a) in any University owned vehicle
- b) in any part of any University building, including student residence rooms and dons’ apartments, or
- c) within 10 meters of any University building, except that the smoking of cannabis is not permitted on University property
2. Exceptions to smoking of tobacco or cannabis
2.1 For religious and / or cultural reasons
Request, from any member of the University community, for an exception to the No Smoking Policy for religious and / or cultural reasons, should be directed to the Student Life Office.
2.2 For medical use
Request for an exception to the No Smoking Policy for medical use of cannabis, for a documented disability-related reasons, should be directed to the Director of Accessibility and Student Wellness or to the Director of Human Resources.
3. Policy Review
This Policy will be reviewed every three years, if not sooner, and either confirmed or amended.