Subject: Wedding Services in the Chapel
Group: Institutional
Approved by: The President
Approval date: June 1994
Effective date: July 1, 1994    
Administered by: Director of Facilities Management


The University Chapel is normally made available for wedding services for students and graduates of Mount Allison, members of the University community (faculty and staff) and their immediate families, and residents of the Sackville area.
The University Chapel may be used for wedding services of any Christian denomination.

Application may be made for reservation of the Chapel through the Department of Facilities Management or through the University Chaplain. Confirmation of a booking will be given from the Department of Facilities Management when the booking fee has been remitted.


The University Chaplain is often available to conduct wedding services in the Chapel; however, couples are free to arrange for the minister of their own choosing to officiate at their ceremony.

Any wedding service in the Chapel must be conducted by a clergy person or minister properly authorized and licensed to perform marriages in the Province of New Brunswick. Clergy persons from outside New Brunswick may apply for a temporary license directly through the Department of Health and Community Services, Province of New Brunswick, or make arrangements for a temporary license through their won denominational offices.


All couples wishing to be married in the University Chapel must obtain a Marriage License for the Province of New Brunswick from a registered "Issuer of Marriage Licenses of the Province of New Brunswick".

A marriage license is valid immediately from the time of obtaining it and remains valid for three months from the date it is obtained. It is helpful to the wedding officiant to receive the Marriage License in advance of the wedding day.

Locally, a Marriage License may be obtained at Hometown Jewellers on Bridge Street in downtown Sackville. The fee for the Marriage License is $100.

Banns may be published in the respective home churches of the man and woman seeking to be married at least one Sunday and five days prior to the marriage as an alternative to the wedding license, although the publication of banns is an option only for those who are regular members of the church where the banns are published.


Following the wedding, the couple will receive from the officiant a "Certificate of Marriage", which is provided as part of the Marriage License.

A marriage register is kept in the Chapel vestry, and must be completed by the officiant. The Chapel register must be used for all weddings that take place in the Chapel.

A marriage form must be filled out by the officiant and forwarded to the Department of Health and Community Services within three days of the wedding service.

The Chapel organ is available for use by any qualified organist. Couples may arrange for their own organist or may request assistance from the University.

If an external organist is to play, the credentials of the organist must be forwarded to the University for approval prior to the wedding.


The candles on the altar may only be used in their present location. Other candles or candelabra may be brought in provided that care is taken to avoid accidents and wax drippings on the floor or carpet. The Chapel Assistant will provide assistance with any candles which may be used.

Pew markers may be hung on the pew ends. Tape or tacks must NOT be used to affix pew markers or any other decorations.

Chapel furnishings may not be altered or moved without the permission of the University Chaplain.

The Chapel should be left as it was found prior to the wedding service.


Confetti or rice may NOT be used in the Chapel or on the grounds near to the entrance doors to the Chapel.

Photographs may not be taken during the wedding service; permission may be given by the officiating minister for a professional photographer to take pictures without a flash. A wedding in the Chapel is a worship service and unnecessary distractions to the sacred rite of marriage caused by flash and people moving about are to be avoided.

Video recordings are not permitted in the Chapel except by special permission of the officiating minister, who may give permission for a designated videographer to record the service from a fixed position.

Custodial services are provided at both the rehearsal and the wedding service. Do not hesitate to ask the Chapel Assistant for assistance with the wedding.

No parking is permitted on the campus interior; anyone wishing special authorization to drive on campus should contact Facilities Management.

Normally, the wedding rehearsal takes place on the evening prior to the wedding service, although the couple are free to request another time, in consultation with the officiating minister. The Chapel Assistant will be available for the rehearsal time.
Reservation of the Chapel for the rehearsal is made on the booking application, and is included in the booking fee.


The fee for the use of the Chapel is listed on the enclosed booking application form. The Chapel will normally be reserved upon receipt of the application form and the appropriate fee.

A fee for custodial and other services provided by the Chapel Assistant will be included in the rental fee.

An honorarium of about $75.00 is recommended for a qualified organist who has come at the request of the couple. If the University makes the arrangement, the honorarium should be about $75.00, and should be presented directly to the organist at the rehearsal or the wedding service.

Many ministers do not charge a fee for their professional services, particularly for the members of their own congregation; however, couples should express their gratitude to the officiating minister with an honorarium.

If the University Chaplain conducts the wedding, an honorarium should normally be presented. It is appropriate and helpful for a couple to discuss this directly with the Chaplain or clergy person who will conduct the wedding service.

The University Chapel is a favourite place for wedding services. Those interested in receiving information about accommodations for wedding guests or catered wedding receptions at university facilities should contact the Department of Facilities Management.