The position of Academic Mentor allows upper-year students an opportunity to offer academic support and mentorship to first year students within their assigned residence.
General expectations and duties:
- Available for duty from September until the exam period in December, and from January until the exam period in April.
- Attend training sessions scheduled prior to serving in the role as well as any others scheduled throughout the academic year.
- Build and maintain positive and meaningful relationships with students in respective residences.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0
- Hold regular office hours (a minimum of five hours per week).
- Work in a collaborative manner with other residence life team members (e.g. Dons, RA’s) to identify and address the needs of students.
- Work independently,in collaboration with other academic mentors and under the guidance of University staff (e.g. Residence Life Coordinator, Manager of Academic Support ) to develop and implement various residential activities and programs that foster an academic atmosphere in residence.
- Foster a sense of academic and personal responsibility within residence
- Organize and/or lead help/tutoring sessions when identified as necessary by students.
- Advise students on study skills (e.g. time management, reading, note-taking)
- Create monthly bulletin boards to educate and create awareness about specific and general academic/university life skills and issues.
- Design an appropriate meeting schedule for students.
- Advise students on academic issues, within established guidelines
- Refer students to appropriate resources for academic and personal support.
- Document student issues raised/addressed in a weekly log, and follow-up with individual students involved, and with residence life staff when appropriate.
- Be an active participant in house activities and meetings.
- Experience working with and leading groups of people.
- Experience living in a university residence setting.
- Strong academic background and demonstrable academic skills.
- Ability to respond to academic concerns in a confidential and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Applications open January 16, 2018. If you are interested in applying, please contact Student Life for further details, or follow the direct link to the application below.
Residence Position Applications