Those who are successful in the role of AD/RA demonstrate a wide range of knowledge, abilities and skills. We are seeking candidates who are caring, have a desire to help others, and an interest in building strong residence communities. Therefore, this position is for the assertive student who has experience working with and leading groups of people, a strong academic background, an ability to respond to concerns and situations in a responsible and diplomatic manner, strong communication skills, experience living in a university residence setting and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
That's what you bring to the role! Student Life will provide the training and mentoring needed to ensure your success.
In order to apply, you must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.25
- Attend one information sessions facilitated by the Residence Life Coordinator
Prior to August 2018 you must obtain:
- A valid standard workplace first aid certification effective the duration of your contract
- Criminal Record Check
- Uphold the aims and objectives of the University
- Uphold Residence Community Living Standards
- Serve as a role model, mediator, and mentor to students within the residence
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Available for duty from the start of the Fall Training period, which begins late August, until the day following the last day of examinations in December and from the day prior to the official opening of residences in January until 24 hours after the last scheduled University exam in April.
- Complete rounds as RA on-duty in residence as determined by duty schedule.
- Be familiar with all the students in your assigned residence.
- Encourage student participation in academic, social, and athletic events in order to promote community within the residence.
- Maintain appropriate records as directed by Student Life
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training sessions
- Have knowledge of and be prepared to refer students to the appropriate resource such as Dons, Student Life, Wellness Centre, Chaplain, etc.
- Lead floor/section meetings with residents.
- Report damages and take immediate steps to determine individual(s) responsible for the damage.
- Report maintenance problems immediately to fix-it and where applicable to the dons.
- Complete room and common room inventories (check-in and check-out) for students as assigned.
- Ensure that check-out procedures have been completed before leaving at semester’s end.
- Ensure that quiet hours are observed.
- Ensure that regulations in the Residence Life Code of Conduct are observed.
- Complete any special assignments given by the don(s), director of student life, or other appropriate University official.
AD/RA's receive a stipend for their services, paid in three installments: A portion at the beginning of first term, a portion at the beginning of second term and a small portion at the end of the year once all duties have been completed. The performance of the residence team is evaluated on a regular basis throughout the year.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact Student Life for further detail, or follow the link below directly to the application.