Are there kitchen facilities in residence?
Yes, each house has at least one kitchenette with a fridge and stove and/or floor kitchens with a fridge and a microwave for making the occasional meal or snack. Dishes are not supplied by the University.

What appliances am I allowed to bring for my room?
Mini-fridges are in every residence room so you don’t have to bring one. You can also bring other small appliances, such as a kettle, however each house has kitchen amenities that you can use. Appliances with a hot or open element are not permitted (toaster ovens, toasters, hot plate, etc.)

Are extension cords permitted?
No, for safety reasons extension cords are not permitted. We recommend that you bring a CSA rated power bar with you — there are some that have longer cords on the ends that are well suited to residence rooms.

What furnishings are provided in the rooms?
Each room comes furnished with a single bed and mattress, a wardrobe or closet, bureau, desk, mini-fridge, lamp, chair and wastebasket. Some students prefer to bring their own lamps from home for extra lighting. Please keep in mind that halogen lamps are not permitted in residence. You should also remember to bring hangers with you.

Is linen provided?
A mattress cover is provided, but students must supply their own sheets, pillows, and blankets.

Are window coverings provided?
Yes, each room will have drapes.

Am I allowed to bring my own room furnishings?
We do not permit students to remove furniture from their rooms due to a lack of storage space. There are many smaller items that can be brought from home to personalize your room and make it your own.

Is there storage in residence for my personal items?
Each residence has a storage room where you can put extra boxes, suitcases, etc. during the academic year. The University endeavors to provide storage space for students, but cannot always guarantee that it will be available. Students returning to residence are permitted to store four boxes over the summer if they are properly labeled. There is no access to this storage room from May to August. It re-opens in September.

Can I bring or send items to my room early?
You will receive you Mount Allison mailing address in your information package over the summer. You can ship or mail some packages one week before your move in date. Due to a lack of storage space, we cannot accept any packages or belongings prior to that date.

Can I have a pet in residence?
No. Pets are not permitted in a Mount Allison residence.

Can I use nails in the walls in my room to hang things?

No, nails are not to be used on residence walls. Each student is permitted to hang items in their room using 3M hooks or a maximum 6 thumbtacks. Upon move out the student must leave the 3M hooks on the wall.

This helps to ensure that the walls remain in good shape for future students.

Are there laundry facilities on campus?
Yes, all residences have laundry facilities with washers and dryers that are available to everyone living in the house. Use of the laundry facilities is covered in your residence services fee. The University does not supply irons and ironing boards.

Are there snack machines?
Yes, in the common areas of the larger residences there are snack and soft drink machines available for your use.

What are the bathrooms like in residence?
We have a couple of different styles of washrooms. Some residences have shower rooms that are separate from the washrooms while others do not. Some residences have small private washrooms like you would have at home that are shared by the people on the floor. The majority of washrooms are same sex, with the exception of the ground floor of Edwards and some floors in Harper. Bathrooms are generally shared between six to 10 people.

Will I have my own mailbox?
Yes, there is a student mail room located in the Wallace McCain Student Centre. Your mailing address will be:

Your name
Mount Allison University
62A York Street
Your Unit #
Sackville, NB E4L 1H3

Should I bring a telephone and computer?

Residences have a communication package for students — Internet, cable, and local phone service is active in each student room. You just have to bring the proper hardware and plug it in!

What housekeeping services are offered in residence?
Custodians will clean the common areas of your residence on a regular basis. Students are responsible for their own rooms.

Can I burn candles in residence?
No, for safety reasons, candles are not permitted in residence, and neither are sparklers.

How do I check into my room when I arrive in September?
When you arrive in September, your don or RA will check you into your room. Your room inventory is completed through your A+ residence portal. More details will be sent to you by email upon check in.

What happens if I lose my keys?
Go to the registrar's office located on the second floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre. They will take the payment of $23 for the replacement room key. Go to Facilities Management the following day and your keys should be ready for you at the front desk.

What happens if something is broken in my room?
If you require repairs, please submit a work request to with the following information: your name, residence, room number, e-mail address, and maintenance request. Facilities management staff will issue a work order and complete the repairs.

How are damage charges determined in April?
The inventory sheet that you complete when you check in is what is used to determine damage charges. It is very important that you read your inventory and report any discrepancies. Students are not charged for normal wear and tear.

Do I need insurance on my belongings?
Yes, students are strongly urged to get insurance on their personal belongings. The University is not responsible for any damage to your belongings that may occur.

Are the residences open during Christmas?
No, they are not. They are open long weekends and all other holidays through the academic year.

I’m planning on returning to residence next year – how do I draw back in?

Great choice! If you are planning on returning, you have to draw a room in residence. You can find our Room Draw information, and can enter in the room draw with this form.


Dining services
Am I required to be on a meal plan if I live in residence?
Yes, all students living in residence are required to be on a meal plan.

What types of meal plans are there?
You will have unlimited “all-you-care-to-eat” access to Jennings Hall, the main dining hall, anytime during open hours, seven days a week.

Are there vegetarian selections?
Yes, there is a station dedicated solely to vegetarian food. This station has its own grill, its own oil, etc so that food does not come in contact with meat. There is also a large salad bar and vegetarian selections are offered daily in the soup, pizza, deli stations.

What types of food are offered?
A wide variety of choices can be found at the dining hall. There are hot entrees to choose from at each meal, as well as a grill, soup, salad and deli bars. There are specialty suppers every week night that offer make-your-own-pizza, make-your-own-stir fry or a pasta bar. On weekends, brunch offers make-your-own-Belgian waffles and omelets. There are always hot and cold beverages, fruits, breads, cereals and desserts to choose from.

What if I have comments about the dining hall service?
Our dining services team would love to hear from you! Feel free to stop by the dining services office to submit a comment, or you can e-mail the campus services liaison at Comments and concerns are always addressed by the food committee, which consists of staff, students, and student union representatives.

Can a guest staying with me for the weekend use my meal plan to eat in the dining hall?
There are three guest passes for each student on a meal plan. Please indicate that you wish to use a guest pass when swiping your card at the front counter of Jennings.