Immigration Resources

It is your responsibility as a student to maintain your immigration status and follow immigration rules and regulations while studying in Canada. Check your immigration documents — study permit, work permit, and/or temporary resident visa — to make sure they are accurate. Make note of when they need to be renewed so you can remain in Canada without interruption. 

This website provides immigration related information for Mount Allison students regarding studying and working in Canada.

When in doubt, contact the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) Help Centre

Applying for an initial study permit

If you will be studying in Canada for more than 6 months, you require a valid study permit for the duration of your studies.  For new students who reside outside of Canada, you must apply for your study permit prior to entering the country.  Students should apply for their study permit as soon as they receive their acceptance letter from MTA.

You may submit your application either online (recommended) or by mail to the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live. For more information on how to apply for a study permit, please visit the following IRCC page here

Please note: Mount Allison is a federally and provincially-approved Designated Learning Institution
(DLI #O19273922302, beginning with the letter "O").  This number must be included on all study permit applications.

US Citizens: If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you have the option of submitting your application upon your arrival at a Canadian port of entry (e.g. your airport of arrival or land crossing into Canada). 


Extending your study permit

Study permits must be extended if you will be staying in Canada past your original study permit’s expiry date. Apply by mail or online THREE MONTHS before your current permit expires.

For more details on how to renew your study permit, visit the following CIC page: Study permit extension
For information on processing times, visit the following IRCC page here.    

If you have a question about an IRCC application, you can call the IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Atlantic time, Monday-to-Friday). Make sure you know your Client ID number (UCI), which is the eight-digit number on your study permit.


Working on Campus 

You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if: 

  • you are a full-time student at Mount A
  • you have a valid study permit

For full details, click here

Working off campus

Eligible international students attending participating post-secondary institutions in Canada can work off campus without a work permit while they complete their studies.

To qualify, you must:
•    possess a valid study permit,
•    be a full-time student, and
•    be studying in a program that leads to a degree or certificate that is at least 6 months in duration (exchange students do not qualify)  

If you qualify, your study permit allows you to:
•    work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
•    work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

For full details, click here


How to apply for a Social Insurance Number

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to work in Canada and to file taxes. 

There is no fee to apply for a SIN.  You can apply  for a SIN in person at the local Service Canada Office in Sackville located at 170 Main Street.  

If your study permit states that you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada, you can bring this to Service Canada and receive your SIN immediately. If your study permit does not have the above wording, you need to apply to have your study permit amended (free). 

For full details, click here



 The immigration information on this page has been reviewed by Ron Byrne, Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), ICCRC Membership #R511106

Please note: Should there be any dispute between advice provided by Mount Allison University and information on the CIC website and/or from a CIC Call Centre representative, information obtained from CIC shall be considered the final authority.