International study at non-partner universities

Mount Allison's many study abroad and exchange programs offer a wide range of international options, but for some students there are other universities in other countries where they would like to study. Students who intend to register at a non-partner university as a "free-moving" or visiting student are not regarded as Mount Allison exchange students and must therefore follow a different application process. 

What is a "free-moving" or visiting student?
You are a free-moving or visiting student if you are accepted to attend classes at a non-partner university on a short-term basis. Similar to an exchange student, you intend to transfer your credits back to Mount Allison at the end of your program.

What is the difference between a free-moving student and an exchange student?
Mount Allison exchange students pay tuition to Mount Allison; free-moving students pay tuition directly to the host institution. The credits earned by exchange students transfer back to Mount Allison as "in-house" credits and can therefore be fully used to satisfy a student's degree requirements. The credits earned by free-moving students also transfer back to Mount Allison but there is a limit as to how many 3/4000-level credits can be used towards a student's degree program. For more details about "Academic Residency Requirements," refer to Section 10.10.2 (d) of the Academic Calendar. 

How do I apply to be a "free-moving" or visiting student at another university?
You must complete Mount Allison's Letter of Permission application process. A Letter of Permission accomplishes two things: 1) it officially notifies Mount Allison that you intend to earn credits (for transfer) at another university, and 2) it confirms the transfer credit value of those courses prior to the start of your program. This way, there are no surprises when you return to Mount Allison. You know exactly what you will receive, providing you successfully pass all your courses.  IMPORTANT: the Letter of Permission process must be completed prior to the start of your program at the host institution. For more details about Mount Allison's Letter of Permission process, refer to Section 10.5.1 of the Academic Calendar.  For the online application, visit the Letter of Permission page on the Registrar's Office website.   

When should I apply for a Letter of Permission?
The Letter of Permission application process can often be very time-consuming. It is best to start early (e.g. 3-4 months prior to the start of your program).  Why is it so time-consuming?  As one of the first steps in the process, you must identify the courses that you intend to take while at the host institution. This can often involve a lot of research and back-and-forth communication with the host institution.  You must also establish if the host institution will accept you as a free-moving student. Some universities will only accept students via the traditional exchange model. Again, more research and back-and-forth communication. 


Steps to studying internationally at a non-partner university:

Step 1: Do your research and find a university and/or program (s) that you are interested in.
Step 2: Apply to the university and/or program as a free-moving or non-partner university student. Some universities require a Letter of Permission in order to apply as a free-moving/visiting student so check the application requirements early as a Letter of Permission can take several weeks or up to one month to process.
Step 3: Await confirmation of acceptance from the host university.
Step 4: Complete the Letter of Permission through the registrar's office. Start early. A Letter of Permission can take multiple weeks, sometimes months, to process depending on the courses that a student wants to take.
Step 5: Complete the pre-departure requirements through the International Centre prior to your departure. Step 6: While you are on your self-designed international study, make sure you request a transcript be sent directly to the registrar's office