Academic information

Faculty focus: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences

Discipline focus: Asian culture, history, society, politics, economics, geography, arts and literature



Program information

Mount Allison University has an exchange agreement with the School of International Liberal Studies (SILS). SILS offers a one-year study abroad program to Mount Allison students. Exchange students can take courses with regular (four-year) SILS students in this program.

SILS offers courses on a wide range of subjects listed above. With the exception of Japanese language classes, all courses are conducted in English. Japanese language course levels range from elementary to pre-advanced.


Financial information

Tuition: paid directly to Mount Allison
Accommodation (one term):
53,000 ¥ per month + 60,000¥ as an initial deposit
Transportation: $1,600-$2,000 CAD round-trip to Narita International Airport (from Halifax)
Visa:There is no cost to apply for a Japanese visa however, you must present your visa application in person to the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate. For Mount Allison students, the Consulate General of Japan in Montreal processes visa applications, so there is the cost of getting to and from Montreal.
Insurance:MASU or private health insurance required ($250-$500 per year)



Due to limited space in dormitories for exchange students at Waseda University, some students make their own arrangements to reside off-campus in shared houses or apartments.

For students who wish to live in Waseda University's dormitories, there are several options. Applications for Waseda University's dormitory rooms are held immediately after the announcement of acceptance in June for students who will begin their studies in September. As priorities for dormitory rooms are given on a first-come, first-serve basis, student who wish to live in the dormitories are highly recommended to apply as early as possible.

For details on housing for exchange students, refer to the Waseda University housing website.


Visa information

Mount Allison students ordinarily apply for a visa through the Consulate General of Japan at Montreal. The Consulate is responsible for all applications from New Brunswick.

Contact the Consulate directly if you intend to apply at/through a different visa centre.

For more information about the visa application process, visit the Consulate General of Japan website provided in the "links" section.