Getting ready to go: the steps, the forms, the deadlines


Pre-departure responsibilities for outbound exchange students

Mount Allison students who have been officially nominated to spend a semester or longer at a partner university are required to do the following prior to departure:

  1. Formally accept the nomination - Congratulations! You've been formally nominated to participate in a Mount Allison exchange program. Confirm your acceptance in writing by emailing the International Affairs Coordinator ( prior to the stated deadline.
  2. Pay the $125 Study Abroad & Exchange Fee -You can pay this fee in person at the Registrar's Office or via online banking (the same way you pay your tuition). This fee formally confirms your participation in the exchange. Be sure to pay the fee prior to the stated deadline to secure your placement and to avoid any complications with your nomination.
  3. Read the Practical Considerations page here 
  4. Request a MTA transcript - You will need an official copy of your MTA transcript as part of the host university application process. Apply in person at the Registrar's Office. Indicate that you are an outbound exchange student (this will save you the $5 processing fee). Request that the transcript be delivered to the International Centre. The International Affairs Coordinator will notify you when your transcript is ready for pick-up. 
  5. Apply to the host university - Yes, you've been nominated by Mount Allison but you still need to be formally accepted by the host university. To do this, you must complete the host university's visiting exchange student application. You can find this form on the host university's website. IMPORTANT: please make note of the host university's application deadline. Each university's application deadline is different. You are responsible for completing the application on your own. Missing the deadline can delay your acceptance and complicate other steps in the pre-departure process (e.g. visa application, course selections, housing arrangements, etc.). Contact the International Affairs Coordinator ( for assistance. 
  6. Select your courses for transfer credit approval - to do this, first visit the host university's website to review all available courses. Make a list of 5-8 courses that you are interested in and/or hope to take.   Be sure to include links to the course descriptions. Once you have your list, complete the online form 1-E (international transfer credit assessment form).  This form will be sent to the Registrar's Office and to the International Affairs Coordinator.   The Transfer Credit Coordinator in the Registrar's Office will send the courses/course descriptions to the appropriate academic department for transfer credit assessment.  Once the transfer credit assessment process is complete, you will receive an official transfer credit approval form that indicates how each course or the group of courses you'll take will be transferred back.   If you submit FORM 1E during or after the exchange, the transfer credit value of the course(s) cannot be guaranteed. NOTE: the transfer credit approval process can often take many weeks/months to complete. Start early.
  7. Apply for a visa (if required) - depending on your nationality and length of stay in the country, you may need a visa or residence/study permit. Go directly to the website of the host country's embassy or high commission to determine if you need an official document to enter the country. It is your responsibility to take care of all visa-related paperwork and costs (which includes applying for a new passport if your current passport has expired or will expire during your time outside the country). Often the host university will guide you through the visa application process. Contact the International Affairs Coordinator ( for additional assistance. NOTE: you will undoubtedly need an acceptance letter from the host university in order to apply for the visa or residence/study permit. The sooner you apply to the host university, the sooner you will receive your acceptance letter, and the sooner you can apply for your visa.
  8.  Register with the Canadian Government  - Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.  The website is available here:
  9. Complete all remaining International Centre paperwork - you are required to complete and submit each of the following forms prior to departure:
    1. International Travel Form (1B) 
    2. International Travel Waiver (1C)
    3. International Travel Pre-Departure Checklist (1D)  
    4. Terms of Participation 
  10. Complete the online travel liability modules - otherwise known as SOS, this final step consists of online modules which help to prepare you for the risks associated with international travel. Each module takes approximately 30-40min to complete. You cannot proceed to the next module until you complete the preceding module successfully. Take your time so that you only have to do each module once. For more information on how to access SOS, visit the SOS section below. IMPORTANT: you must successfully complete the SOS travel modules prior to the start of the exchange. The University is firm on this. It is a matter of personal and institutional liability. If you do not complete the modules prior to the start of your exchange, the University reserves the right to de-register you from the exchange and withhold all transfer credits

SOS International Travel Risk Modules


  • All students participating in a Mount Allison program for which there is international travel are required to complete the SOS International Travel Risk modules. Failure to complete the modules prior to the start of the program or travel may result in any of the following: removal from the trip, deregistration from the program, or suspension of academic credit. 
  • If you are traveling as part of a group of students with Mount Allison University, you will be given a username and password to login with prior to your international travel departure date
  • If you are traveling independently, participating in an exchange or planning to do a non-MTA program intending to receive transfer credit (LOP), you will need to "register" and create an account with SOS International before you can complete the modules.  
  • To access the SOS International Travel Modules please visit:
  • Once you have completed the three modules successfully, you need to send PDF copies of the certificates to the International Affairs Coordinator by email or print the certificates off and bring them to the International Centre in person.   For more information about the steps involved in completing the SOS Travel Risk Modules, please contact the International Centre at