Before You Go

Whether you're a student, staff, or faculty member at Mount Allison, you are responsible for completing the appropriate pre-departure tasks to ensure your international travel is safe and successful. Please read the following information carefully, and ensure you understand and complete all of the applicable tasks. If you have any questions or concerns before you go, please contact the International Centre. 

Please note: if you are an exchange student, your pre-departure process is slightly different, and is outlined here


Pre-departure responsibilities   

1. Communicate your plans to the International Centre - visit us on the second floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre, or email

2. Read the Practical Considerations page

3. Apply for a visa (if required) - depending on your nationality and length of stay in the country, you may need a visa or residence/study permit. Go directly to the website of the host country's embassy or high commission to determine if you need an official document to enter the country. It is your responsibility to take care of all visa-related paperwork and costs (which includes applying for a new passport if your current passport has expired or will expire during your time outside the country). Contact the International Affairs Coordinator ( if you require assistance.
Note for studying abroad: you will need an acceptance letter from the host university in order to apply for a visa or residence/study permit. The sooner you apply to the host university, the sooner you will receive your acceptance letter, and the sooner you can apply for your visa.

4. Register with the Canadian Government - Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.  The website for Canadians is available here. If you are not Canadian, please register with your home country on their website. 

5. Students: Complete all International Centre paperwork  - you are required to complete and submit each of the following forms to the International Centre prior to departure:
     - International Travel Form (1B)
     - International Travel Waiver (1C)
     - International Pre-Departure Checklist (1D)

6. Students: Complete the online travel liability modules - otherwise known as SOS, this final step consists of online modules which help to prepare you for the risks associated with international travel. Visit the SOS page for more information on how to complete the modules. IMPORTANT: you must successfully complete the SOS travel modules prior to the start of your program abroad. The University is firm on this. It is a matter of personal and institutional liability. If you do not complete the modules prior to your departure, the University reserves the right to remove you from the trip, de-register you from the program, or suspend your academic credit. 

7. Group travel: Send the following information to the International Centre (
    - a list of students, staff and faculty traveling internationally
    - program start and end dates
    - travel dates (departure and arrival, departure and arrival)
    - emergency contact information for staff/faculty/group leader traveling
    - accommodation information