Prepare, prepare, prepare!
The single most important thing to do for an interview is prepare. There are lots of things to think about. Here are a few top tips:
- Research the organization and make sure you understand their products, clients, beliefs and mandate - and how you'll fit in with them.
- Dress appropriately. Hint: always dress one step better than the typical work environment for that industry. Business casual at the office? For an interview you should dress more formally with a suit, skirt, heels, etc.
- Make sure you know where you're going! Have the address mapped out, know the office/room number, and plan to be there 10 minutes early. Plan for potential traffic disasters.
- Come prepared with questions for the interviewers. Ask them about the organization, upcoming projects, ask what THEY like about working for the company, engage the interviewers to make a great impression.
- Smile often and show your enthusiasm. It's perfectly normal to be nervous, but you can make up for the jitters by being personable.
- Be late
- Ask about compensation
- Appear unprepared
We regularly hold workshops on interview preparation. Here is the powerpoint presentation from one of our events:
For more top tips check out the links in the sidebar.