Mount Allison University supports and promotes responsible choices surrounding alcohol.
We want to reduce the harms associated with alcohol and other substance use so work to develop strategies, policies, and best practices surrounding harms reduction.
Mount Allison has the following supports:
Alcohol & Other Substance Harms Reduction Steering Committee
The committee is comprised of a cross-section of students, staff, and faculty. Many of the committee’s general members also participate in one or more of the three sub-committee working groups. The committee’s mandate is to reduce the hazardous and harmful effects of student substance use on individuals, the campus community, and the community of Sackville.
The three working groups are:
- Overall Harms Reduction Strategy Working Group
- Alcohol Policy Working Group
- Education & Awareness Working Group
Keep it Social (http://keepitsocial.ca/)
Keep it Social is a student-led nationwide campaign that raises awareness around alcohol harms reduction, education and awareness.
Postsecondary Education Partnership — Alcohol Harms (PEP-AH) (http://pepah.ca/home/)
PEP-AH is a network of universities and colleges from across Canada that have partnered with the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction to support nation-wide campus efforts to reduce the harms related to alcohol consumption. Mount Allison University is part of this partnership.
Tips for responsible drinking
- Eat before and while you are drinking
- Drink water in between alcoholic drinks
- Slow down — do not have more than two drinks in three hours
- Engage in other activities — playing pool, darts, dancing, etc. will naturally slow you down
- Set limits and stick to them
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Horizon Addictions and Mental Health
- Vitalité Addiction Services
- Gambling Hotline: 1-800-461-1234
- Alcoholics Anonymous: 1-506-388-7010
- Narcotics Anonymous: 1-888-436-2929
Our team at the Wellness Centre can also support you.
For more information, please contact Anne Comfort at email@example.com