Updated May 28, 2020 

For more Mount Allison-specific information regarding COVID-19, visit:  

Questions not addressed in the FAQ below can be sent to covid19@mta.ca 

General information

What do I do if I’ve signed a lease for the upcoming summer/academic year?
If you have signed a lease or plan on signing a lease for off-campus housing for next year, or if you have any concerns with respect to doing so, you may want to discuss the terms of your lease agreement with your landlord. Should your off-campus housing situation change and you want to consider the option of on-campus residence accommodations, e-mail resroom@mta.ca to discuss further.

What financial support is available to me?
The Government of Canada has announced financial support for individuals, families, post-secondary students, and others. Find out more about the programs available and the eligibility criteria at: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html

What is a state of emergency?

On March 19, 2020, the Government of New Brunswick declared a state of emergency to help contain the spread of COVID-19. A state of emergency empowers the government to take extraordinary measures to address a problem. These measures are only made when absolutely necessary and for a specific time frame.

For more information, see:

Where can I find out more information?
Mount Allison-specific questions can be directed to covid19@mta.ca

General information can be found at:

How are services and facilities impacted in the Town of Sackville?
You can find out more about municipal services and facilities on the Town of Sackville website at: https://sackville.com/covid-19/

Academic information

Spring/summer 2020 term 

Is the spring/summer 2020 term going ahead?
The spring/summer term is going ahead, but no in-person classes are being offered.  The list of available self-directed learning (SDL) courses can be found at: https://www.mta.ca/Registrars_Office/Schedules_and_important_dates/SDL/Self-directed_distance_learning/


What library supports are available?
Although the library locations are closed, Mount Allison’s "Virtual Library" is open. Online resources are still accessible and librarians are available to help you with your research and with locating resources for your final assignments. Contact information for subject librarians and details about the types of assistance available can be found at: https://libraryguides.mta.ca/COVID-19_library_services

Residence information

Residence fee adjustment

Will residence and meal plan fees be adjusted for students who left early?
Residence students will receive an adjustment to their residence and meal plan fees. The adjustment takes into account the type of room and meal plan, as well as the week of a student’s departure from residence.

The funds will be credited to student accounts. Students whose accounts are paid in full may request to have any balance remaining in their account paid out. This request can be made in Connect after April 15.

Your total adjustment is the sum of your meal plan adjustment plus your residence room adjustment.

Residence adjustment schedule

When will my account be credited with the residence and meal plan adjustment?
The credit should be applied to your student account by April 15. You can check the status of your account in Connect.

How do I request the money be paid out to me?
The credit will first be placed on your account. Students whose accounts are paid in full, with no other outstanding charges, may request to have any balance remaining in their account paid out. The request for payment can be made in Connect after April 15.

How did the University determine amounts for residence and meal plan adjustments?
The residence and meal plan adjustments were determined based on the type of meal plan and room and the week of a student’s departure from residence. 

Campus information

How can I collect my mail?
If mail or a package arrives for you, you will receive an e-mail from the bookstore with instructions on arranging pick up. If you have questions about mail services, contact the bookstore at bookstore@mta.ca  

Are events cancelled?
All public events on campus are cancelled, including campus tours, until further notice. 

What is Mount Allison doing to minimize the risk of infection to students, faculty, and staff?
Mount Allison has convened a COVID-19 working group chaired by the vice-president, finance and administration to monitor this evolving situation and develop and plan response.

The working group includes representatives from academics, international and student affairs, the Registrar’s Office, the Wellness Centre, Facilities Management, Financial Services, Human Resources, communications, and administration. It is meeting regularly to address a number of potential scenarios, confirm plans, and outline actions that should be taken right away. The University will take its direction on decision-making from New Brunswick Public Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Mount Allison is also participating in regular calls with the other universities and colleges in the province, as well as Public Health and the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour to share information and plans and is tracking the approach of universities across the country.

About COVID-19

How many confirmed cases of COVID-19 are there in New Brunswick? 
The most current information on the number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick can be found on the Government of New Brunswick's website: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/maps_graphs.html 

We remain in continual contact with New Brunswick Public Health, who are keeping us informed about whether there are any confirmed cases in our community.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
The most recent information on symptoms and treatment for COVID-19 can be found at: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/ocmoh/cdc/content/respiratory_diseases/coronavirus/AboutCoronavirus.html

Health information

Should I wear a homemade mask or face covering if I have to go out?
Public health agencies are currently recommending the use of homemade masks or face coverings as an additional protective measure when in public and physical distancing is not always possible. Wearing a face covering does not replace other health measures in place.

Please see the Public Health Agency of Canada’s page for specific information around types of masks, materials, use and maintenance: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/about-non-medical-masks-face-coverings.html

You can also find out more in this Q&A with Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick's chief medical officer of health: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/your-questions-about-face-masks-answered-by-new-brunswicks-top-doctor/vi-BB12p8JI

What should I do if I am feeling ill?
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (coronavirus) you should call Tele-Care at 811. This a 24-hour, seven-day a week telephone service. They will assess your situation, offer advice, and determine whether or not testing for COVID-19 is required.

Should I go to the hospital, a doctor’s office, or the Wellness Centre if I think I have COVID-19?
No, you should call Tele-Care at 811 and follow their instructions. Going to the Wellness Centre, a hospital, or a doctor’s office first, without calling 811, may spread an infection to other people. If you call 811 and they suspect you may have COVID-19, they may want you to go to the hospital for testing. In that case, arrangements will be made so that you do not come in contact with other patients. You will also be given directives on what to do to self-isolate and New Brunswick Public Health will call you daily to monitor your situation.

What precautions can I take to stay healthy and prevent the spread of infection?

To prevent the spread of any illness, including respiratory viruses like COVID-19 (Coronavirus), health agencies advise:

  • Wash your hands frequently for at least 20-30 seconds using soap and water.
  • If a sink is not available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, with a minimum 70 per cent alcohol content, can be used to clean hands if they are not visibly soiled. If they are visibly soiled, you can use an alcohol-based disposable hand wipe to remove the dirt and then use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Do not touch your eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands.
  • When you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow, and then wash your hands.
  • Stay home when you are ill to avoid spreading the illness to others.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick with an infection.

What is physical distancing?
Regional, national, and international public health agencies are encouraging physical distancing to help minimize the spread COVID-19 transmission and other illnesses. The following information has been compiled from the Public Health Agency of Canada , New Brunswick Public Health , and the World Health Organization.

Please follow Public Health guidelines and procedures around health safety and visit the sites above for the latest information and advice from medical professionals.


Physical distancing measures are approaches taken to minimize close contact with others in the community and can include:

  • avoiding crowded places and non-essential gatherings
  • avoiding common greetings, such as handshakes
  • limiting contact with people at higher risk (e.g. older adults and those in poor health)
  • keeping a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately two metres or six feet) from others, as much as possible

What other steps can I take to help limit the spread of illness?
Other important steps include:

  • Frequent handwashing for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and water or use alcohol-based (70 per cent) hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available
  • Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces such as your phone, electronics, remotes, door handles, and other personal items regularly — the Public Health Agency of Canada recommends regular household cleaners or using one part bleach to nine parts water
  • Covering your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing into your elbow
  • Staying home from work or school when ill and self-isolating where necessary
  • Avoiding mass gatherings, and working or studying from home where possible

What's the difference between self-monitoring, self-isolating, and isolation?

The Public Health Agency of Canada has provided information on self-monitoring, self-isolation, and isolation and what individuals should do based on their own circumstances. The New Brunswick government also has a similar site with information on self-monitoring, self-isolation, and isolation.

Any individuals arriving in New Brunswick from outside the province are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.