Updated: March 27, 2020

  • All MtA employees should expect to work remotely unless explicitly told otherwise by their supervisor.
  • All employees who are scheduled to work or on an approved leave will be paid as usual.
  • All buildings on campus will remain locked until further notice. Access to any building is restricted to critical services only or to retrieve items. If you need access to a building, seek permission, during business hours, from your dean or director. Please do not request access to buildings unless it is absolutely essential.
  • Shipping and receiving is a critical service and will continue, but mail/package services will be provided on an as-needed basis and items will not be delivered to other buildings on campus unless necessary. Please e-mail bookstore@mta.ca if you require these services.

For more information:

Information for employees who are unable to work

This information is in effect as of March 15, 2020 and is subject to change.

Although on-campus classes are suspended, University operations and student services will operate to the degree possible over the next several weeks.

For employees who are unable to attend work, we wish to provide you with the following information.

Absences due to health-related reasons

  • If you are sick or have flu-like symptoms, do not come to work. Contact your supervisor directly to advise of your absence due to illness.
  • If you have been mandated to self-isolate because of travel-related restrictions or by a medical professional, do not come to work. Contact your supervisor directly to advise of your absence due to illness.

If you are a staff member, you will enter your time into Connect as “Sick Leave” at the time of your absence or when you return to work.

CUPE 2338 members should contact their supervisor to report their absence using the normal procedures.

Employees will not be asked to provide medical documentation of suspected COVID-19-related absences until further notice; however, for absences related to other conditions the typical documentation requirements remain in place.

Special Caregiver Leave

  • If you are caring for a family member who is sick or in self-isolation, you must advise your supervisor of your intent to be absent for this purpose, and you may request a “Special Caregiver Leave with pay” from your supervisor in order to stay home with pay for an initial maximum of 10 workdays.

CUPE 2338 members should contact their supervisor to report their absence using the normal procedures and to request a “Special Caregiver Leave with pay”.

Absences due to childcare requirements

If you are unable to come to work because of childcare requirements, contact your supervisor to discuss the option of implementing a possible temporary work-from-home arrangement or a temporary change to your hours of work. If these type of arrangements are not feasible, you may request a “Special Caregiver Leave with pay” from your supervisor in order to stay home with pay for an initial maximum of 10 workdays. In the case of childcare requirements, “Special Caregiver Leave with pay” will be granted to only one employee per family unit.

CUPE 2338 members should contact their supervisor to report their absence using the normal procedures, and to request a “Special Caregiver Leave with pay”.

Information for employees who are working

For employees who are at work, depending on the work that you do and the operational needs of your department, your supervisor may discuss alternative work arrangements with you that may include the opportunity to work from home, to work from a different location on campus, or to work different hours.

The purpose of these alternate arrangements is to protect the health of employees by limiting their exposure to others (social distancing) and so we ask that you consider these suggestions and that you make some suggestions of your own if you have any.

Support for employees

This is a stressful time and all employees are reminded that our Employee and Family Assistance program (Morneau Shepell) is available 24/7 to provide support and assist you with any challenges that you may have at: 1-844-880-9142 or https://www.workhealthlife.com/

Take care of yourself and reach out for assistance if you need it!

Employee FAQ

Technical support

Where can I find out more information about using Microsoft Teams or Moodle?
Computing Services has pulled together training resources for faculty and staff who are working from home or delivering course content remotely. Links to the content can be found on CSD's working & learning from home resources page.  

How can I access my voicemail remotely?
Instructions for accessing your voicemail remotely can be found on the Computing Services website at the following link: https://www.mta.ca/uploadedFiles/Community/Administrative_departments/Computing_Services/FAQ/Eastlink_voice_messaging/Eastlink%20Voice%20Messaging_MTA.pdf

What are best practices for using VPN?
In order to prevent the VPN servers from becoming overloaded, VPN usage should be limited to Colleague and network share (M drive and departmental share) access only. There are a few special cases, e.g. lab equipment remote control, that are also acceptable also.

VPN is not required for Office 365 use and should be avoided when using video of any kind. Please disconnect from your VPN before beginning any video sessions.

In order to facilitate working remotely, Computing Services suggests copying files that are on network shares to your OneDrive or a Team. Please ensure the files have finished uploading before deleting them or disconnecting the VPN. Uploading can take a considerable amount of time, but once the files are in the Microsoft cloud they can be accessed from anywhere without using VPN.

What are best practices for using Microsoft Teams?
In order to have the best possible experience:

  • Only turn on your camera if necessary
  • Keep your microphone muted unless you need to speak (conference organizers can also mute all attendees)
  • Only turn your speaker volume as high as needed for you to hear - the higher the volume, the harder the device has to work at echo cancellation
  • Disconnect after your session is over so no unnecessary sessions are running

Microsoft is ramping up capacity as quickly as possible to accommodate the many people currently working from home. Following the advice above helps with the load so everyone is better able to connect with one another as needed.

Financial information

How do I send a purchase order requisition (POR) to Financial Services?
To ensure that your purchase request is received for processing, please use the online requisitioning tool. Instructions are included in the link below. If you experience issues or difficulties, please reach out to  purchasing@mta.ca  so that we can investigate the problem and help move things along. Due to staff working from home, paper requisitions will be difficult to process and cannot be guaranteed.


How do I get reimbursed for travel and other expenses now that most people are working from home?
You should send your claim to e-cheques@mta.ca. Please ensure any personal information, such as credit card numbers, are not visible. Reimbursements may be a little slower than normal. If you have questions or problems doing this, you can send your question to  e-cheques@mta.ca.

I booked and paid for travel in advance that was refundable or exchangeable but the event/conference has been cancelled.
You should obtain a refund where possible, otherwise obtain a credit to be used against future travel. 

I booked and paid for travel in advance that is non-refundable, nor can I receive a credit for future travel, but the event/conference has been cancelled.
Non-refundable fees due to cancelled travel resulting from a cancelled conference, travel advisory, or personal choice health-related concern can be claimed according to Tri-Council; travel funded from other sources will follow the same guideline.

I am considering going to a conference but am worried it may be cancelled. Should I book my travel?
You should monitor travel advisories and only book refundable or exchangeable travel and accommodations. You should ensure conference fees are refundable and only book once assured a conference will run.

I have unspent travel funds in my PER, award, or other fund, excluding external grants, or funding.
An extension of one year will be granted to all such unspent internal accounts.

I have been reimbursed for travel that was cancelled and I received a refund from the travel provider.
The University should be reimbursed and the money will be put back in the account it originally came from. A cheque can be given to Financial Services for deposit. The University cannot accept e-transfers.

I haven’t been reimbursed for travel that has been cancelled but have been able to receive a credit.
You should keep the credit for future use and advise Financial Services of the details. If another business trip is not expected, but the airline credit will be used for personal travel, the amount of the credit minus the change fee will need to be refunded to the University. Please document this on any claim.

I bought non-refundable travel and not claimed it yet and the event has been cancelled.
You should claim the expenses as originally intended against the original funding source.

I have a finance-related question not answered here.
Send your question to financialservices@mta.ca

Travel insurance information

Does the University’s employee travel insurance cover COVID-19
For employees enrolled in the University’s health plan, any such related personal travel claims will be processed as per the emergency travel health policy held by the University. 

If an employee is quarantined and contracts COVID-19, will the travel insurance cover the medical expenses? 
For employees enrolled in the University’s health plan, claims related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) will be processed as per the emergency travel health policy held by the University.

Am I covered if I decide to travel to a country for which a travel advisory was issued by the Canadian government? 
The University’s policy does not contain exclusions for travel to countries for which the Canadian government has issued a travel advisory. Emergency medical expenses are therefore covered. It’s important to know that in regions affected by COVID-19, local public and governmental health authorities have priority over international assistance services. Therefore, our emergency provider, AXA Assistance, is limited with respect to the level of emergency assistance it can provide.