When is the application deadline?
There is no set application deadline — we offer rolling admissions. Students must apply by March 1 to be considered for an entrance scholarship.

What are the admissions requirements?
Admission requirements vary depending on the intended program and high school curriculum. See www.mta.ca/requirements for a list of the high school courses we accept.

What is the application fee?
The online application fee is $50. The fee for filling out a paper application is $60.

How does early admission work?
Students can be admitted to Mount Allison based on their final Grade 11 transcript. Generally, we look for a minimum 80 per cent average or equivalent in students’ Grade 11 university preparatory courses. We also require a list of Grade 12 courses students are registered in for their Grade 12 year.

What if I apply for early admission and I do not meet the requirements? Do I need to re-apply?
Students who do not meet our early admissions requirements will be deferred, and automatically reconsidered for admission when their mid-year Grade 12 transcripts are available.

How do I get help with the online admission and scholarships application?
You can access video tutorials that can help you work through your online application. Still have questions? Call us at (506) 364-2269.

How can I book a tour?
We would love to host you for a visit! You can book your campus tour by filling out the campus visit booking form at www.mta.ca/visit

I am an international student. How do I apply?
The application process and deadlines are the same for international students and domestic students.

Do my transcripts need to be official?
Students’ final Grade 12 transcripts need to be official and come directly from their high school. Grade 11 final transcripts and Grade 12 mid-year transcripts do not need to be official. We strongly recommend students upload these interim transcripts to their MtA application account. Alternatively, students are permitted to email transcripts to admissions@mta.ca, mail them to the Registrar's Office, or fax them to (506) 364-2272. For transfer applicants, official post-secondary transcript must come directly from the institution for their transfer credit assessment.  

Do you guarantee residence for first year students?
Yes. All incoming students are guaranteed a spot in residence if they pay their registration deposit ($100 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents; $250 for international students) and their $500 housing deposit on time (both are due in May). For more information about housing, see the Residence FAQs at www.mta.ca/residence

How do I apply for residence?
Students can apply for residence through the housing portal (www.mta.ca/housing). The residence application is available to students who have been offered admission to the university beginning on November. There is a residence application fee of $50.

How can I maximize my chances of getting the residence or room type that I want?
Rooms are assigned based on when students pay their registration deposit. Students should pay their registration deposit as early as possible to maximize their chances at getting the type of room and the residence building they want. Check out www.mta.ca/residence for more information about on-campus housing.

How can I pay my deposits?
Deposits can be paid through online banking, peer transfer, cheque, or in-person at the Registrar’s Office. See www.mta.ca/feepayment for details.  

Can I request a roommate?
Absolutely! On the residence application students can enter the name someone they would like to room with. Both roommates must request each other.

I am in the International Baccalaureate Program or taking AP classes. Can I get advanced standing?
Yes. Students who successfully complete the IB Diploma may receive up to 30 transfer credits comprised of higher level (HL) or standard level (SL) courses with a score of five or higher, and Theory of Knowledge with a grade of C or higher. Students enrolled in the IB certificate program will receive transfer credits for all higher level (HL) courses completed with a score of five or higher.

IB Students will also receive bonus points on our general scholarship consideration and qualify for IB-specific scholarships.

AP students can receive a maximum of 30 transfer credits for subjects completed in the Advanced Placement program with a score of 4 or 5 (3 credits per AP course)

See www.mta.ca/advancedstanding for more information.
I have a learning or physical disability. What kinds of support services are available?
Mount Allison’s award-winning Meighen Centre for Learning Assistance and Research serves students with documented disabilities. Check out www.mta.ca/meighen for more information on the support services offered.

How do I accept my offer of admission?
Students can accept their offer by paying their registration deposit ($100 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents; $250 for international students). For information on how to pay fees, please visit www.mta.ca/feepayment

What are the English language requirements?
For students whose first language is not English, we require one of the following to show proof of English proficiency:

  • Successful completion of at least three years of academic instruction at an accredited secondary institution, where English is the primary language of instruction, as recognized by Mount Allison University
  • Successful completion of at least 30 credit hours (or equivalent) at a post-secondary institution, as recognized by Mount Allison University, where English is the primary language of instruction
  • TOEFL score of 90 (internet test), 580 (paper test), 213 (computer test) (DI Code 0939), no band score below 20
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 and no band score below 6.0
  • Completion of a recognized English proficiency test with the minimum results achieved. See section 3.7 of the academic calendar for complete details.

What kind of scholarships and bursaries does Mount Allison offer?
Mount Allison offers a generous merit-based entrance scholarship program for students who excel in and outside of the classroom. Need-based bursaries offer assistance to students who have financial need in order to help provide access to post-secondary education. Visit our scholarship and bursaries page www.mta.ca/scholarships for details.

Can I defer my acceptance or take a gap year?
Yes, students who have been accepted to Mount Allison can defer their acceptance and their scholarship for up to one academic year. Any bursaries are forfeited because they are based on financial need at the time of application. Students who take courses from another academic institution during their gap year must reapply to the university.

Does Mount Allison offer graduate programs?
Yes, Mount Allison offers limited Master’s programs in biology and chemistry as well as in other Science disciplines on a case-by-case basis. More information can be found on our Master of Science page.

What are the tuition and fees?
A list of student tuition and fees can be found here: www.mta.ca/fees

What support services are available for Indigenous students on campus?
The Indigenous Support Group is a student group of Indigenous students and allies dedicated to the discussion and concerns of Indigenous issues.

The Indigenous Mentorship Program pairs upper-year Indigenous students or allies from the Indigenous Support Group with first-year students to aid in the transition from high school to university.

The Indigenous affairs co-ordinator works with staff, faculty, students, and volunteers across the University to develop pre-university enrichment programming, as well as services that will encourage Indigenous students to pursue academic excellence. The co-ordinator is also responsible for developing programming aimed at helping faculty, staff, and non-Indigenous students at Mount Allison to more fully understand and appreciate the rich and vibrant histories and cultures of Canada’s Indigenous peoples.

Is there a supplemental application required to apply to the Fine Arts program?
Yes, students interested in the Bachelor of Fine Arts, the Bachelor of Arts with a major in Fine Arts, or the minor in Fine Arts must fill out a supplemental application form and submit a portfolio of their work. For more information, see www.mta.ca/fineartsapply

Is there an audition required to be admitted into the Music program?
Yes, students interested in the Bachelor of Music must fill out a supplemental application form and audition. For more information, see www.mta.ca/musicapply

Is there an audition required to be admitted into the drama program?
No, an audition is not required for the Bachelor of Arts with a major in drama, or the minor in drama.

I have more questions. Who can I contact?
You can contact your admissions counsellor (see www.mta.ca/contactadmissions) with any questions. They are always happy to help!