What is a senior citizen bursary?
The senior citizen bursary is a needs-based program that directs funding to those students who demonstrate financial need. Amounts vary depending on the level of financial need.

To be eligible under the program, applicants must be:

  • 65 years of age or older prior to the first day of classes in the term that their studies commence
  • admitted to the university
  • registered in full-time or part-time studies for credit or audit
  • meet University criteria

It is important to indicate all the terms in which you plan to study in the academic school year in the academic and course information section of your bursary application form in order to be considered for a bursary for each term.

Bursary applications are kept on file for the entire academic school year, so only one application is required per year.

When can I apply for a bursary?

You can apply as early as Aug. 1 for the academic school year once you have registered for courses. The application must be received no later than the respective term bursary application deadlines:

  • Spring/summer term — June 1 (for students commencing studies in the spring/summer terms)
  • Fall term — Nov. 1 (for students commencing studies in the fall term)
  • Winter term — Mar. 1 (for students commencing studies in the winter term)

Correspondence only students or students on a Letter of Permission are not eligible for this bursary program.

Can I apply for a bursary after the deadline?
Bursary applications are not normally accepted after the deadline. Please be aware the financial aid & awards counsellor will only accept late applications in exceptional circumstances.  

How can I apply for a Mount Allison senior citizen’s bursary?

You can apply online or submit a paper copy no later than the deadlines indicated above. Paper copies are available upon request from the registrar’s office, located on the second floor of Wallace McCain Student Centre. Alternatively, you can e-mail financialaid@mta.ca and we can send you an application form by regular mail or e-mail.
It is recommended that you apply soon after you have completed your registration. The senior bursary application applies to the academic session in which you commence your studies. An academic session begins with the spring/summer term and ends in the winter term. For example, the 2014-2015 academic session includes the 2014 spring/summer term (14/SS), 2014 fall term (14/FA), and the 2015 winter term (15/WI)

If you are registered for courses for the fall and winter terms, then you should submit the application for bursary for both terms by Nov. 1.

How much funding can I expect to receive?
The amount of a bursary may vary based on need, as determined on the basis of the information provided in the bursary application, course load (number of courses per term), and any supporting documentation.     

Funding is contingent on University funding availability, full-time and part-time final course registration, a completed senior citizen bursary application, and amount of demonstrated need as determined by the financial aid & awards counsellor.

Please be advised a bursary may be revoked if changes to registration result in a reduced course load, reduced need, or withdrawal from the University. 

How will I know if I have been granted a bursary?
We begin accepting bursary applications as of Aug. 1. All applicants receive an e-mail advising them of the results of their application and, if approved, credit is then posted to your Mount Allison account.

Can I appeal a bursary decision?
Yes. Please forward any correspondence with supporting documentation to the financial aid & awards counsellor at financialaid@mta.ca within 30 days from being notified you did not qualify for a bursary.

How are bursaries paid?
Bursary funds are automatically credited to your Mount Allison student account (students can access this through Connect@MTA.) In the event you overpay while waiting for a bursary decision, you can request a refund cheque by e-mailing regoffice@mta.ca.

I received a bursary, and now I have dropped a course or withdrawn completely from the University. What are my responsibilities?
Since bursaries are partially based on the number of courses you are taking, it is your responsibility to inform the financial aid & awards counsellor of changes to your registration that result in a reduced course load. The University reserves the right to adjust a student’s account when the criteria of the senior citizen bursary are not met or when circumstances have changed from the date of the original application.

I have questions about my bursary application and/or financial aid in general, is there someone I could speak to at Mount Allison?
Mount Allison provides financial counselling services on campus. Please contact the financial aid & awards counsellor to schedule an appointment by phone (506)364-2258 or e-mail financialaid@mta.ca.

Financial assistance related to post-secondary educationNoted below are two other programs that students may consider. These programs are not managed by Mount Allison University. To explore whether these programs may be helpful or apply in your case, contact information is listed below.
Apply for federal and provincial student loans
Each Canadian province and territory administers a student loan program. In order to qualify for a federal and/or provincial student loan, students must apply to their home province for funding. To be eligible, applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Please be advised all government student loan applications are assessed based on financial need.

Find out more about provincial and territorial student loans.

Lifelong Learning Plan
If you own a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), you may qualify to use this savings plan to pay for your education expenses. For more information visit the Canada Revenue site.