Below are a number of frequently asked questions about course selection and registration.

What is Connect@MTA? What can I do with it?
Connect@MTA is Mount Allison's information service for students. Here you can access your personal profile (e.g. address, contact information), academic profile (e.g. transcripts, grades), financial information, personalized timetable, and exam schedules. Connect@MTA is also used to register for courses. You can also use Connect@MTA to produce an official confirmation of enrollment letter, and request a preferred first name change. Once you have been accepted and paid your registration deposit login and select Connect for Students. Video tutorials to help familiarize you with Connect@MTA are available here.

I don't know my username for Connect@MTA. Who do I contact?
Your username is the first part of your Mount Allison email address. If you still aren't certain please contact or (506) 364-2269.

I forgot my password for Connect@MTA. Who do I contact?

The password for Connect@MTA is the same password you use for your Mount Allison email.  You can manage and reset your password online here. If the self-serve password system does not resolve your problem please contact or (506) 364-2473. 

Where can I access a confirmation of enrolment status?
Students who require a confirmation of their enrolment status at Mount Allison can produce an official confirmation of enrolment letter using the form on Connect@MTA available under Academic Profile. Keep in mind, you must be enrolled in 9 credits per term for full-time enrolment. If you have any concerns please contact or (506) 364-2269.

Who should I contact with questions about my tuition fees?
Tuition and fees are detailed on the Registrar's Office website here. Please email with questions, or phone (506) 364-2269. Questions about financial aid, bursaries, and scholarship awards can be directed to

Where can I find specific regulations regarding the various academic degrees?
The requirements for the various degrees are found in the University academic calendar. Regulations for Arts (section 11.2), Science (section 11.3), Commerce (section 11.5), Music (section 11.6), and Fine Arts (section 11.7) are located in part III of the academic calendar.

Completion of 120 credits is required for a Bachelor of Arts, a Bachelor of Science, a Bachelor of Commerce, a Bachelor of Fine Arts, or a Bachelor of Music degree. These credits are normally, but not necessarily, completed over four years. When initially choosing your courses, give some thought to areas in which you might like to specialize. These specialties are called majors (required for BA and BSc), and minors (required for BA, BSc and BComm) and are described in the academic calendar for each degree program. Major and minor requirements, as well as course descriptions can also be found in part III of the calendar.

What courses can I take?
As a student new to university, you must select fall term courses that do not have prerequisites as outlined in the University academic calendar. Each course description in the academic calendar lists prerequisites, if required. A prerequisite is a course or a series of courses that must be completed before registration in another course is permitted — a minimum grade of C- (P for transfer credits) is required for courses that are used to fulfill prerequisite requirements.  After selecting and registering for fall term courses, students should complete their winter term course registration. The system will recognize fall term course registration as prerequisites in progress.

Refer to the list of courses without prerequisites for a complete listing of courses available to all students at the University. Some first year courses may require permission of the department or a placement test prior to registration. 

The course timetables list all courses offered at Mount Allison University in the current academic year. There is an course timetable for the fall term and a separate one for the winter term. The courses are arranged in alphabetical order by subject. You can check the course timetable to determine when a course is scheduled, the location of the class, and the course instructor’s name and e-mail address. Information listed in the course timetable is also viewable in Connect@MTA. Course descriptions are available in Connect@MTA as well as in part III of the academic calendar.

How many courses do I choose?
The course load for first-year students is 30 credits per year: 15 credits (five courses) in the fall and 15 credits (five courses) in the winter. If you have a University scholarship you MUST enrol in 30 credits per year, 15 credits (five courses) in the fall term, and 15 credits (five courses) in the winter term. Most courses are three-credit (one term) courses. Generally, first year students are not permitted to overload (register in more than five classes each term.) First-year students wishing to enrol in more than 15 credits (five courses) per term must have the permission of the academic dean of the program to which they are admitted.

How can I determine the level and credit value of a course?
Each course is identified by a four-digit number. The first digit indicates the year in which the course is normally taken. The fourth number determines the credit value where ‘1’ indicates a three-credit (one term) courses, ‘3’ indicates a three-credit (full year) course, '0' indicates a six-credit (full year) course, and ‘9’ indicates a one-credit (full year) course. A letter (i.e. A, B, C, D) after a course number indicates a section of the same course. For example, ENGL 1201 C is a three-credit, one-term course usually taken in first year. The C indicates that there are at least three sections of this course.

When and how should I register for my courses?
You are strongly advised to register for both fall and winter term courses as soon as possible to ensure availability of space. Course registration is on a first-come first-choice basis. Course registration does reach capacity so it is best to register early, well before arriving on campus in September (preferably by mid June). This guide to course registration in Connect should be helpful.

 What if a course I want to take is full?
There are a few options to explore if you find that a course you want to take is full. First, check to see if there is another section of the course offered at a different time or in the other term. You may find seats available there. If you can't find a seat in another section you should add yourself to the waitlist for the course. While you are waiting to hear back about a waitlisted course (check your @MTA email regularly) you should register for another course so you have an alternative ready to go. Waitlists are not available for labs/tutorials. In this case, you should keep checking the registration system for availability. Otherwise, you may just wish to take a different course, especially in the case of distribution or electives. If you are waitlisted for a required course please email the first year academic advisor for suggestions about how to proceed (Sarah Cormier,

 Is there a registration deadline? Can I make changes to my registration after classes begin?
Students may register for 3 credit Fall or Winter term courses until the second Friday of each term. Students may register for 1, 3, and 6 credit full year courses until the second Friday of the Fall term. Please refer to academic calendar section 10.4 for regulations regarding changes in registration and withdrawal. Specific add, drop and withdrawal deadlines are listed in the calendar of events in part I of the academic calendar, and on the deadlines page. Email if you have any questions about registration or withdrawal.

What is a course section?
A section is an individual offering of a course. Some courses offer more than one section at different times to keep class sizes small and allow for flexibility in scheduling. Different sections of the same class are indicated by letters at the end of the course number (e.g. ENGL 1201-A, ENGL 1201-B). Multiple Lab/Tutorial sections are indicated by numbers (e.g. PSYC 220L-1, PSYC 220L-2). Students need only register for one section of a course or Lab/Tutorial.

What are compulsory labs and tutorials?
In addition to the regular class, a number of courses involve a lab or tutorial component. This primarily serves to divide the class into smaller groups for more focused instruction, course work or discussion. In Connect@MTA and in the academic timetable, compulsory labs are listed below the course and end with the letter L. For example, following the listing for GENS 1401 you will find its labs GENS 140 L 1 and GENS 140 L 2. Labs may have more than one section listed (L 1, L 2, etc.). Students are required to register for only one and can choose whichever section fits best in their schedule. Labs have no credit value of their own, and do not count as separate courses in your registration. You must register separately for labs at the same time that you register for the class. The only exception to this is PHYS 1051 and 1551. These courses require registration in the lab section which corresponds to the lecture period you have selected (i.e. both the lecture and lab must be A or B)

How can I find the textbooks I need for my courses?
Mount Allison’s bookstore carries the textbooks required for your courses. You can search online on the bookstore website for textbooks listed for your courses. Books can be pre-ordered online or purchased at the store when you arrive on campus.

Is 10 minutes enough time to travel between classes?
It is not unusual to have courses scheduled in consecutive time slots; ten minutes is sufficient time to travel between classes. Dining services offers a bag lunch option if your courses run over the noon hour.

When are my exams?
An exam schedule will normally be posted online by the end of the fourth week of classes in the term. Students will be notified by email when the schedule is posted. You are advised to wait until the schedule is published before making travel arrangements for the holidays or academic year-end so you don't have to change your plans. 

Can I take courses outside of my faculty?
Yes. Students are encouraged to explore their interests in various disciplines.

I have been accepted into the Bachelor of Arts, but I really want to pursue a Bachelor of Commerce or Science degree. What should I do?
You should proceed to register for courses as if you were a Commerce/Science student. Find out more about changing degree programs.

I have been accepted into the Bachelor of Arts, but I really want to do a Bachelor of Fine Arts. What should I do?
Registration in Fine Arts studio courses is restricted to students in that program. You can contact the Fine Arts department ( to inquire about departmental permission to register in Fine Arts courses. Students who have no background or previous training in visual art should be advised that these courses are required for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree program and that standards are set accordingly. You may proceed to register for art history courses, required for the Bachelor of Fine Arts, and available to all students. Find out more about changing degree programs.

I have been accepted into the Bachelor of Arts, but I really want to do a Bachelor of Music. What should I do?
There are a number of Music courses intended for students in other programs which you may proceed to register for. For assistance identifying course options contact the Music department at Enrolment in MUSC 1101 is determined by an entrance assessment. Subject to auditions, all students may participate in the Music department's ensembles that are valued at one credit per year of participation. Please note, a minor in Music is available to students in any program at Mount Allison. Find out more about changing degree programs.

What if I need extra help in a course?  
Start by talking to your professor - they want to help you learn. You can also get a peer tutor and seek additional assistance from academic resources such as the math help centre and writing resource centre.  Don't be shy about asking for help!

What should I do if I don't want to continue with a course?  
You may consider dropping or withdrawing from a course for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you don't like the course, you are expecting a failing grade, or are seeking a better balance to succeed. It's a good idea to consult with an academic advisor before dropping or withdrawing from a course. If you drop a course by the deadline the course will not appear on your transcript. If you withdraw from a course, the course remains on your transcript with a notation of 'W'. Be sure to familiarize yourself with deadlines and review this FAQ on course withdrawal.

Where can I look if I don't see my question answered here?    
You might find an answer to your question on this academic advising FAQ for current students