Updating personal information
Keeping your personal information up to date is very important. Having the right information in our system will ensure that information you receive from us will match your current information and arrive at the right destination. It is your responsibility to ensure that this information is kept up to date at all times.

Preferred first name change request
Preferred First Name Change Request: A preferred first name is a name by which you are normally addressed that is different from your legal first name.  It is important to note that making a request to use a preferred first name at Mount Allison does not change a student’s legal name in the Mount Allison student record or records with government authorities.  For more information please check our FAQ.

Changing your address
All official correspondence mailed to current students during the fall or winter term is sent to your campus mailbox. In order to maintain your home or permanent address, please log into Connect and select "Address Change" to ensure that your home address is up to date.

Official letters
Confirmation of enrolment

Students who require confirmation of their enrolment status at Mount Allison can produce a confirmation of enrolment letter using the form on Connect.

Students can produce a confirmation of enrolment letter from a list of options for a past term (FA or WI) or academic year (FW) or the current term or academic year.

The enrolment letter produced in Connect:

  • features Mount Allison University letterhead
  • uses data directly from your student record
  • is considered official by third parties

Note: if the confirmation of enrolment letter through Connect does not accurately reflect what you believe to be your enrolment status, please notify regoffice@mta.ca and make your request using the online form.

The enrolment letter produced in Connect is not suitable for:

  • government student loan forms;
  • study permit applications*;
  • documents issued by a third party with a section that must be completed and signed by MtA. If this is required, please come to the registrar's office on the second floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre to have these forms completed or send the forms by attachment to regoffice@mta.ca or by fax to 506-364-2272 

If you require a confirmation of enrolment letter that also includes a statement verifying your anticipated date of graduation, please make your request using the online form.
In the “additional notes” field please be sure to note that you require your anticipated date of graduation in the body of the letter. 

*Please note: If you require a confirmation of enrolment letter for a study permit application and need the Designated Learning Institution number listed please be sure to include this information in the “additional notes” field of the online request form.


Privacy of transcripts
A student's transcript of record is privileged information to be provided to those outside the University with care and at the discretion of responsible officers of the University. Students may request that transcripts be revealed to no one outside the University without written permission.
Transcript requests
Students can have their transcripts sent outside the University on payment of a fee. All transcript orders must be placed by the transcript holder using Connect@MtA. If you do not have a Connect account, you can use the transcript request form (PDF). Telephone orders for transcripts cannot be accepted. Partial transcripts are not issued. Those requesting transcripts should be aware that at certain peak periods it may take approximately two weeks to process a transcript order.

Release of consent

Specific student information may be released to a third party only upon receipt of written authorization from the student as specified on the release of information consent form.  

In order to grant consent for the release of student information, the student must complete, date and sign the release of information consent form. This release can include academic or financial information but will never include disclosure of the student’s username or password for Mount Allison accounts.

A duplicate or replacement diploma may be issued if you provide evidence by affidavit or statutory declaration that the original diploma has been destroyed or is no longer in existence.

If a replacement diploma is requested in a different name from that on the original diploma, the original diploma shall be returned.

If the present signing officers are the same as for the original diploma, a new diploma marked DUPLICATE or REPLACEMENT DIPLOMA may be issued.If the signing officers have changed, the duplicate or replacement diploma may be issued with the original signing officers' names printed in and a note added below to state the diploma is a duplicate or replacement. This note is to be signed by the President.

A fee is charged for this service.