Self-Medication Assessment Tool
This webpage presents training modules and the latest version of the Self-Medication Assessment Tool (SMAT) developed by Dr. Janice Irvine-Meek (Horizon Health Network) and Dr. Odette Gould (Mount Allison University) in New Brunswick, Canada.
Dr Gould can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 506-364-2456.
The following materials are available:
- The SMAT testing form in PDF format for printing (revised, May 2014).
- Instructions for Tester (revised, May 2014).
- Video of Module 1, presenting background information about medication adherence in older patients, as well as the research supporting the development and use of the SMAT. (23 minutes)
- Videos of Module 2, presenting detailed instructions on how to administer the SMAT: (It is recommended that you print the slides for these videos before watching).
- Video of Module 3: Scoring, Interpretation and Making Recommendations (7 minutes)
The powerpoint slides used in the videos above are available for download through the following links:
- Powerpoint slides for Module 1: Introduction & Background
- Powerpoint slides for Module 2 - Part 1: Before the Assessment
- Powerpoint slides for Module 2 - Part 2: Carrying out the assessment
- Powerpoint slides for Module 2 - Part 3: After the assessment
- Powerpoint slides for Module 3: Scoring, Interpretation & Making Recommendations
Researchers and health care providers can use, reproduce and distribute the materials provided here without cost and without obtaining written permission from the authors. When using the SMAT or the training videos, please acknowledge the copyright ownership as follows: (c) Irvine-Meek & Gould, 2013.
These materials may not be used or reproduced for commercial purposes.
For any questions pertaining to use, reproduction, or adaptation of these materials, please contact Odette Gould at email@example.com.