All applicants to Mount Allison will be required to provide evidence of English language proficiency.
As English is the primary language of instruction at Mount Allison, students must possess a mastery of English sufficient to communicate effectively, follow lectures, and write assignments and examinations in English.
Admission preference is given to students who submit IELTS or TOEFL results.
You may also provide proof of one of the following:
- Successful completion of at least three years of academic instruction at a Canadian secondary institution, as recognized by Mount Allison University
- Successful completion of at least 30 credit hours (or equivalent) at a post-secondary institution, as recognized by Mount Allison University, where English is the primary language of instruction
- TOEFL score of 90 (internet test), 580 (paper test), 213 (computer test) (DI Code 0939) with no band score lower than 20
- International English Language Testing System – Academic (IELTS) score of 6.5 with no band score lower than 6*
- Canadian Academic English Test – Computer Edition (CAEL CE) minimum score of 70
- Cambridge English – Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a minimum Cambridge English Score of 176
- Duolingo – We are accepting Duolingo tests as a proof of English proficiency (minimum score 110) until further notice
For more options, see the academic calendar.
Special notes for 2020-2021:
- We are accepting the IELTS Indicator test results for the time being while IELTS writing centre closures remain in effect. Required scores remain the same as with the IELTS Academic test since the scoring systems between both editions remain the same: https://www.ieltsindicator.com/
- We are accepting the TOELF iBT Special Home Edition test for the time being while writing centre closures remain in effect. Required scores remain the same stated for the TOELF iBT internet-based test since scoring systems are identical between the regular TOEFL iBT test and the Special Home Edition: https://www.ets.org/s/cv/toefl/institutions/update/
- We are accepting the CAEL Online test, with the same scoring system as the original CAEL test: https://www.paragontesting.ca/cael-online-now-available/
Please note: Meeting the minimum English proficiency requirement does not guarantee admission. Mount Allison reserves the right to request additional information in support of your application.