Hong Kong Cemeteries
Stanley Military Cemetery
The Military Cemetery lies in the south of Hong Kong Island, and was used by the Hong Kong Garrison and their families as a burial place from 1841 to 1866. There were no further burials until the 1939-1945 War, when it was used for the burial of those who died while imprisoned by the Japanese in Stanley Jail or interned in the local camp. After the war, remains of men who had died in the Colony's defence in December 1941 or during the years of Japanese occupation were brought in from nearby burial places. The burials include nearly all of the casualties of the local defence forces, such as the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Force, and also members of the British Army Aid Group. It is remarkable that in such a comparatively small cemetery, no fewer than five should have been awarded the George Cross. The cemetery contains 400 British, 20 Canadian, five Indian and 160 Hong Kong burials.
|The text on this page has been taken from Courage Remembered, by Kingsley Ward and Major Edwin Gibson.|