DATES OF CREATION:
122 leaves of textual records (1 v.)
ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH:
The Grange was a social, educational and fraternal organization
designed to "enhance and brighten farm life." It was
first organized in the United States in 1867 under the title “The
National Grange of the Patrons of Industry." The organization
entered Canada through Ontario in 1871 and was simply called
"the Grange." It's
overall focus was the improvement of agricultural practices.
The Point de Bute Grange was named after the farming community
in which it was located, in Westmorland County, New Brunswick.
The format of the meetings was that of a lodge, having a gatekeeper,
passwords, secret signs, initiation ceremonies, and four "degrees",
and presided over by a Worthy Master. The Grange was open to
both men and women.
Item was passed from Leonard Carter to Alexander T. Carter, both
Grange members who served briefly as secretaries of this organization.
Upon the death of Alexander Carter, the book was kept by his
wife Emma Jane Wells, long time matron of Mount Allison Academy.
She in turn passed it to her son Albert J. Carter, Kentville,
Nova Scotia, Mount Allison Class of 1938. Upon his death in
1997, the item went to his principal heir, his sister,
Mary Carter Pomeroy, Mount Allison Class of 1942, living in
SCOPE AND CONTENTS:
Fonds consists of minutes of meetings, 1881-1886
SOURCE OF TITLE:
Title based on content of fonds
Inventory available at repository
IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF ACQUISITION:
Donated by Mary Carter Pomeroy, Victoria, BC, intermediary Bill Hamilton, 1999
LOCATION OF ORIGINALS:
Mount Allison University Archives
Parts of several pages are torn out
Several items regarding the Grange may be found on CIHM microfiche 11801, 27791, 54928, and 56567
ALL OTHER NOTES:
A description and provenance of this item, written by Bill
Hamilton during the time it was in his possession for
research purposes, is located in the Accession File.
Mount Allison University
RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS, USE AND REPRODUCTION:
Open for research purposes. Copying and/or publication permitted only with written permission of the Mount Allison University Archives