Applications for Fall 2021 admission to the Bachelor of Music program are being accepted. Click here to apply.
SUNDAY, MAY 16 – Virtual Convocation Weekend Recital: Performances by students of the Department of Music. Premiering on Mount Allison Music YouTube channel. 2:00p.m.
Welcome to the Department of Music. Music has been an important part of the curriculum and community at Mount Allison since the first Certificate in Music was awarded in 1874, more than 140 years ago.
The Music department offers programs and courses for every level of interest, from the Bachelor of Music degree to the BA Major in Music and the Minor in Music. We welcome students in other programs to take Music elective courses and to join in our ensembles, and more information about all of these opportunities can be found using the links at the top of this page. Whatever your level of experience, we hope you will become a part of our vibrant musical and scholarly community on campus!
What is new in 2020-2021? This year brings with it new challenges but also new opportunities for learning, growth, and community-building among music students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to continuing to offer a rich and vibrant program this year, but with some modifications including:
- Classes will be offered online, in hybrid form, or in-person with social distancing, masks, and increased sanitization measures
- Applied Music lessons will be offered in-person and online, with in-person lessons taking place in larger rooms, with masks and distancing, and moving between rooms every 30 minutes to allow for air circulation
- Practice Rooms may be used on a scheduled basis only, with students sharing a practice room “bubble” with only 3-5 other students. There is no drop-in use of practice rooms.
- Ensembles will happen in smaller groups, with social distancing, and will also include some online and outdoor components. Ensemble participation is limited to students only this year.
- Concerts and events will not be presented live in Brunton Auditorium until further notice, but we will continue to have weekly Collegia Musica and Colloquia Musica for students and faculty in an online format and will also make some events available to the general public online. Please see our upcoming events page for more details.
Stay in touch! We invite members of the community to stay in touch with us by joining our email list. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list, or to inquire about anything related to the Department.