Home

Facilities

Athletic fields




1900-

Construction of the present athletic field, known today as MacAulay Field, began on 20 October 1898, and was opened in October 1900. The land was bequeathed to the University in 1898 by George T. Bowser, and the field cost an estimated $1,000 to construct. As a comparison, the second University menís residence, constructed in September 1900, cost $80,000.

The new field, then known simply as the Athletic Field, stretched 160 by 80 yards, and a running track encircled it. It was located to the southeast of the University men's residence, and ran parallel to York Street, between Salem and Lansdowne Streets. Starting in 1901, students were required to pay an annual fee of between $1.00 and $1.25 for use of the athletic grounds. In 1908, the running track was replaced by a new quarter mile cinder track, which, at $1,300, cost more than the field did ten years earlier.

The Athletic Field became a focal point for sports at Mount Allison. In 1912, Lingley Hall was rebuilt at the western end of the field and became the new University Gymnasium, and in 1919 Mount Allisonís first institutional skating rink was built on the other side of the field on the east side of Lansdowne Street.

Previous: Pre-1900

Mount Allison University and Ladies' College campus, between 1911 and 1912

Mount Allison University Athletic Field and rugby football game, 1907

Mount Allison University rugby football game, Athletic Field, ca. 1919

Mount Allison students inside Main Street curling rink, 1916


This project was funded by the Marjorie Young Bell Endowment Fund