Subject: categories: RelMiS 2001 --- Call for Papers

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Nov 2000 08:57:20 -0000

Please accept my apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

                RelMiS 2001 - Relational Methods in Software
                ============================================

                        7-8 April 2001, Genova, Italy

                     http://ist.unibw-muenchen.de/RelMiS/

                       A Satellite Event to ETAPS 2001

Motivation
==========

The role of the calculus of relations in algebra and logic is now well
understood and appreciated; relational methods should be part of the
``toolbox'' of everyone who uses mathematics, and relational methods can
also be of great value to everyone who develops or uses computer science.

For example, much of the work on special logics or ``laws'' for programs is
easily understood as an application of relational algebra. Also, every
relation on a state space can be used as a specification or description of a
program. This, in itself, is an advantage over some predicate based
formalism in which one can write ``specifications'' that are impossible to
satisfy.

Computer science, as a new application field for
relational methods, has both drawn from and contributed to previous
logico/mathematical work. Further integration of the two areas of research
would benefit both.

The purpose of this event is to provide (1) a tutorial introduction to
relational methods for computer scientists and software developers, and
(2) a workshop to discuss new results and future work.

7 April: Tutorial Day
=====================

There will be the following tutorial lectures:

   * Gunther Schmidt: Basics of Relational Methods (9:30 - 11:00)
   * David L. Parnas: The Tabular Method for Relational Documentation (11:30
     - 13:00)
   * Wolfram Kahl: Refinement and Development of Programs from Relational
     Specifications (14:30 - 16:00)
   * Rudolf Berghammer: Prototyping and Programming with Relations (16:30 -
     18:00)

8 April:
Workshop ``Relational Methods in Software Development - Current Issues''
========================================================================

The second day of the RelMiS event will be an open workshop. Topics of the
workshop include, but are not limited to:

* Relational Specifications and Modelling:
     methods and tools, tabular methods, abstract data types
* Relational Software Design and Development Techniques:
     relational refinement, heuristic approaches for derivation, correctness
     considerations, dynamic programming, greedy algorithms, catamorphisms,
     paramorphisms, hylomorphisms and related topics
* Programming with Relations:
     prototyping, testing, fault tolerance, information systems, information
     coding
* Implementing relational algebra with mixed representation of relations
* Handling of Large Relations:
     problems of scale, innovative representations, distributed
     implementation

The number of papers will be kept small to allow extensive discussion.

Programme Committee
===================

Rudolf Berghammer (Kiel), Jules Desharnais (Québec), Wolfram Kahl (Munich),
David L. Parnas (Hamilton), Gunther Schmidt (Munich)

Submissions
===========

Submissions will be evaluated by the Program Committee for inclusion in the
proceedings, which will be published in the ENTCS series. Papers must
contain original contributions, be clearly written, and include appropriate
reference to and comparison with related work. Papers should be submitted
electronically as uuencoded PostScript files at the address
[email-masked]. Preference will be given to papers that are no
shorter than 10 and no longer than 15 pages. A separate message should also
be sent, with a text-only one-page abstract and with mailing addresses (both
postal and electronic), telephone number and fax number of the corresponding
author.

Final versions will have to be submitted as LaTeX source and have to adhere
to the ENTCS style!

Important Dates
===============

Deadline for submission: 10 January 2001.
Notification of acceptance: 9 February 2001.
Final version due: 28 February 2001.
Workshop dates: 7-8 April 2001.

Organising Committee
====================

Wolfram Kahl
     Federal Armed Forces University Munich, Germany
David L. Parnas
     McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Gunther Schmidt
     Federal Armed Forces University Munich, Germany

Contact
=======

Contact Person: Wolfram Kahl
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Workshop home page: URL: http://ist.unibw-muenchen.de/RelMiS/