Subject: categories: Re: coinduction: definable equationally?

From: Luigi Santocanale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:09:10 +0100

Vaughan Pratt wrote:

> We may now reword the original question in the light of the foregoing.
> To what variety can one similarly associate suitable operations fully
> defined equationally so as to include an equationally expressed principal
> of coinduction?

In the same way an induction principle is expressible by means of a
least fixed point, one could expect coinductive principles to be
expressible by means of greatest fixed points.

The following example will clarify what I have in mind.
Let G,H two graphs, then we can construct the graph G*H, where 

(G*H)_0 = G_0 x H_0 

and 

(G*H)_1 = (G_1 x H_0) + (G_0 x H_1) . 

Every transition of  G*H is labeled: it is either a left transition or a
right transition. We obtain in this way two modal operators on the
subsets of G_0 x H_0, call them <l> and <r>. A bisimulation is a subset
B of G_0 x H_0 such that

B <= [r]<l>B and B <= [l]<r> , 

where the [] are the duals of <>. If G = H, then saying that G has no
proper quotient amounts to saying that the greatest bisimulation is
equal to the diagonal D. Therefore a principle of coinduction can be
expressed as follows:

\nu_z.([r]<l>z \wedge [l]<r>z) = D 

where \nu_z.f(z) is the greatest fixed point of f(z). The example can be
generalized. 

The following question arises: is the greatest postfixed point definable
equationally? The answer is yes, at least in several cases, as it is the
least prefixed point.

Consider a theory which contains the signature <0,+,.,\>. <0,+> satisfy
the semilattice axioms and, with respect to induced order, a.x is left
adjoint to a\x, for a fixed a. Let f(z) be any term of the theory, then
the following holds:

g(x) is the parameterized least prefixed point of f(z).x if and only if
the equations

f(g(x)).x = g(x)
g(x) <= g(x+y)
g(f(x)\x) <= x

hold. 

It is an easy exercise to check this is true, using the fact that
f(x).(f(x)\x) <= x . If . has a right unit 1, then g(1) is the least
prefixed point of f(z). Similar results hold for the greatest postfixed
point if we can find an operation . with a parameterized right adjoint. 

Algebraic models of the propositional $\mu$-calculus form a variety, as
the models of PDL do, and hopefully coinductive principles can be
expressed. One could also define something like a $\mu$-linear logic,
its models would form a variety. 

Best regards,

	Luigi

-- 
Luigi Santocanale,

BRICS				
Department of Computer Science	Telephone:   +45 8942 3288
University of Aarhus		Telefax:     +45 8942 3255
Ny Munkegade, building 540	http://www.brics.dk/~luigis/
DK - 8000 Århus C, Denmark.	mailto:[email-masked]