Subject: categories: CFP: ESSLLI 01 Student Session

From: Kristina Striegnitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 18:43:07 +0100 (MET)

!!! Concerns all students in Logic, Linguistics and Computer Science !!! 
           !!! Please circulate and post among students !!!
      We apologize, if you receive this message more than once.

                  ESSLLI 2001 STUDENT SESSION

                     FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

              August 13-24 2001, Helsinki, Finland

                   Deadline: February 18, 2001

             http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~kris/esslli

We are pleased to announce the Student Session of the 13th European
Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI 2001)
organized by the University of Helsinki under the auspices of the
European Association for Logic, Language and Information
(FoLLI). ESSLLI 2001 will be held at the University of Helsinki in
August 2001. We invite submission of papers for presentation at the
ESSLLI 2001 Student Session and for appearance in the proceedings.

PURPOSE:
This sixth ESSLLI Student Session will provide, like the other
editions, an opportunity for ESSLLI participants who are students to
present their own work in progress and get feedback from senior
researchers and fellow-students.  The ESSLLI Student Session
encourages submissions from students at any level, from undergraduates
(before completion of the Master Thesis) as well as postgraduates
(before completion of the PhD degree). Papers co-authored by
non-students will not be accepted.  Papers may be accepted for full
presentation (30 minutes including 10 minutes of discussion) or for a
poster presentation.  The accepted papers will be published in the
ESSLLI 2001 Student Session proceedings, which will be made available
during the summer school.

KLUWER BEST PAPER AWARD: 
As in previous years, the best paper will be selected by the program
committee and will be offered a prize by Kluwer Academic Publishers
consisting in 1000 Dfl worth of books.

REQUIREMENTS: 
The Student Session papers should describe original, unpublished work,
completed or in progress that demonstrates insight, creativity, and
promise. No previously published papers should be submitted. All
topics within the six ESSLLI subject areas (Logic, Language,
Computation, Logic & Language, Logic & Computation, Language &
Computation) are of interest.

FORMAT OF SUBMISSION:
Student authors should submit an anonymous extended abstract headed by
the paper title, not to exceed 5 pages in length exclusive of
references and send a separate identification page (see below). Note
that the length of the full papers will not be allowed to exceed 10
pages. Since reviewing will be blind, the body of the abstract should
omit author names and addresses. Furthermore, self-references that
reveal the author's identity (e.g., "We previously showed (Smith,
1991)... ") should be avoided. It is possible to use instead
references like "Smith (1991) previously showed...".  For any
submission, a plain ASCII text version of the identification page
should be sent separately, using the following format:

Title: title of the submission 
First author: firstname lastname
Address: address of the first author 
...... 
Last author: firstname lastname 
Address: address of the last author 
Short summary: abstract (5 lines) 
Subject area (one of): Logic | Language | Computation | Logic and
Language | Logic and Computation | Language and Computation

If necessary, the program committee may reassign papers to a more
appropriate subject area. The submission of the extended abstract
should be in one of the following formats: PostScript, PDF, RTF, or
plain text. But note that, in case of acceptance, the final version of
the paper has to be submitted in LaTeX format. Please, use A4 size
pages, 11pt or 12pt fonts, and standard margins. Submissions outside
the specified length and formatting requirements may be subject to
rejection without review.

The extended abstract and separate identification page must be sent by
e-mail to:

[email-masked] by FEBRUARY 18, 2001

ESSLLI 2001 INFORMATION: 
In order to present a paper at ESSLLI 2001 Student Session, at least
one student author of each accepted paper has to register as a
participant at ESSLLI 2001. The authors of accepted papers will be
eligible for reduced registration fees. For all information concerning
ESSLLI 2001, please consult the ESSLLI 2001 web site at
http://www.helsinki.fi/esslli. 

IMPORTANT DATES:
Deadline for submission of abstracts: February 18, 2001.
Authors Notifications: April 17, 2001.
Final version due: May 18, 2001. 
ESSLLI-2001 Student Session: August 13-24, 2001. 

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Raffaella Bernardi, University of Utrecht (Logic & Language)
Patrick Blackburn, University of the Saarland (Logic & Language)
Gilles Dowek, INRIA (Computation)
Ruth Kempson, King`s College London (Language)
Carsten Lutz, University of Aachen (Logic & Computation)
Ani Nenkova, Columbia University (Logic)
Ilkka Niemelä, Helsinki University of Technology (Logic & Computation)
Malvina Nissim, University of Pavia (Language)
Susanne Salmon-Alt, Loria, Nancy (Language & Computation)
Jan Schwinghammer, University of the Saarland (Computation)
Kristina Striegnitz, University of the Saarland (Chair)
Yde Venema, University of Amsterdam (Logic)
Shuly Wintner, University of Haifa (Language & Computation)

For any question concerning the ESSLLI 2001 Student Session, please,
do not hesitate to contact me: 

Kristina Striegnitz

Computational Linguistics, University of the Saarland, Germany
phone: +49 - 681 - 302 4503         email: [email-masked]