Subject: categories: DEVELOPMENT OF MATHEMATICS 1950-2000

From: F W Lawvere <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:45:23 -0500 (EST)

The book 

	DEVELOPMENT OF MATHEMATICS 1950-2000

edited by Jean-Paul Pier, and published by Birkhaeuser, recently
appeared.  It has many good articles on the mathematics of the
stated period.  Of course, the subjects were limited by space and
the choices made by the editorial board.  In particular, categories,
homological algebra, etc. are not treated in separate articles.
My own paper
       Comments on the Development of Topos Theory
       pp 715 - 724
is rather compressed, due to space limitations.  There are no doubt
many significant aspects which I was not able to include.  The present
forum would perhaps be a good place to point those out.

				Bill

************************************************************
F. William Lawvere			
Mathematics Department, State University of New York
244 Mathematics Building, Buffalo, N.Y. 14260-2900 USA
Tel. 716-645-6284		   
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~wlawvere
************************************************************