Subject: categories: MCU'2001 - FINAL Call for Papers

From: Gabriel Ciobanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:45:11 +0800 (GMT-8)

(We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this Call for Papers)

Deadline for submission :  December 15, 2000 !
---------------------------------------------- 

CALL FOR PAPERS   CALL FOR PAPERS   CALL FOR PAPERS    CALL FOR PAPERS

                       International Conference
                   MACHINES ET CALCULS UNIVERSELS
               MACHINES, COMPUTATIONS AND UNIVERSALITY

                          CHISINAU, MOLDOVA
           Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science of the
                    Academy of Sciences of Moldova
                           23-30 MAY, 2001

TOPICS :
         Digital Computations:
            Turing machines, register machines, cellular automata,
            other automata, tiling of the plane, polyominoes, snakes, 
            neural networks, molecular computations, word processing 
            (groups and monoids), other machines
         Analog and Hybrid Computations:
            BSS machines, infinite cellular automata, real machines,
            quantum computing
         In both cases:
         frontiers between a decidable halting problem and an
         undecidable one in the various computational settings
         minimal universal codes:
            size of such a code, namely, for Turing machines, register
            machines, cellular automata, tilings, neural nets,
            Post systems, ...
         computation complexity of machines with a decidable halting
            problem as well as universal machines
         self-reproduction and other tasks
         universality and decidability in the real field
 
PROGRAM COMMITTEE :
         Erzsebet CSUHAJ-VARJU, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
         Gabriel CIOBANU, A.I.Cuza University, Iasi, Romania
         Serge GRIGORIEFF, University of Paris 7, France
         Manfred KUDLEK, University of Hamburg, Germany
         Maurice MARGENSTERN, GIFM, LITA, University of Metz, France, co-chair
         Yuri MATIASEVICH, Euler Institute, Steklov Institute,
                            Saint-Petersburg, Russia
         Liudmila PAVLOTSKAYA, Moscow, Russia
         Yurii ROGOZHIN, Institute of Mathematics, Chisinau, Moldova, co-chair
         Arto SALOMAA, Turku, Finland
         Mephodii RATSA, Institute of Mathematics, Chisinau, Moldova

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE :
         Maurice MARGENSTERN,  GIFM, LITA, University of Metz, co-chair
         Yurii ROGOZHIN, Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science,
                         Chisinau, co-chair

INVITED SPEAKERS :
         Sergei ADIAN, Steklov Institute, Moscow, Russia (TBA)
         Claudio BAIOCCHI, University of Roma, Italy
            "Some small universal Turing machines"
         Martin DAVIS, University of Berkeley, U.S.A.
            "Between Logic and Computer Science"
         Jozef GRUSKA, Mazaryk University, Brno, Czech Republica
            "Potentials, puzzles and challenges of quantum entenglement"
         Juhani KARHUMA"KI, Turku, Finland
            "Combinatorial and computational problems on finite sets of words"
         Giancarlo MAURI, University of Milano II, Milano, Italy
            "Normal forms in P-systems", with C. FERRETTI and C. ZANDRON    
         Kenichi MORITA, University of Hiroshima, Japan
            "A simple universal logic element and cellular automata for
             reversible computations"
         Maurice NIVAT, University of Paris VII, Paris, France (TBA)
         Gheorghe PAUN, Insitute of Mathematics, Bucharest, Romania
            "Universality Result in the Membrane Computing Area"
         Ge'raud SE'NIZERGUES, University of Bordeaux I, Bordeaux, France
            "Some applications of the equivalence algorithm for 
             deterministic push down automata"
         Hava SIEGELMANN, Technion, Haifa, Israel
            "Computability of Genetic Networks"
         Klaus SUTNER, Pittsburgh, USA  (TBA)
         Boris TRAKHTENBROT, Tel Aviv, Israel (TBA)
         Vladimir ZAKHAROV, Moscow, Russia
            "The equivalence problem for computational models: decidable and
             undecidable cases"

   MCU'95 and MCU'98 gave rise to TCS special issues on "Universal 
Machines and Computations" : 168-2 (1996) and 231-2 (2000). The interest
of computer scientists for the topics of the conference increased during 
the last years. New domains have appeared, continuing the traditional
approaches in a natural way. This explains why a regular scientific
meeting on this topics must hold, at least each three years.
Initially the name of the conference was "MACHINES ET CALCULS UNIVERSELS" 
(in French); the English translation was "Universal Machines and
Computations" and this was the title of the corresponding TCS issues. In
order to keep the same abbreviation, the new English name of the conference 
is "MACHINES, COMPUTATIONS AND UNIVERSALITY".

CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS

   Besides invited lectures, about thirty contributions are planned. As a first
step, lectures and contributions will be published in a volume of Lecture Notes
in Computer Science devoted to the proceedings of the conference. Participants 
will receive that volume at their arrival.
   Contributions should be submitted as 12 page papers with an extra page
indicating the name of the author(s), his/her/their affiliation, e-mail and
addresses as well as the title of the contribution, a list of key-words and
a short abstract within 300 words. Submissions must conform to the usual
LNCS format, see http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.  
   Contributions will be submitted by e-mail as a NON ENCODED PostScript file 
(any encoding will entail rejection of the submission). Accepted contributions
will possibly have to be corrected according to the remarks of the referee. In 
any case, accepted contributions should be send in LATEX format, conform to 
instructions to be found at the above URL. 

Please, keep in mind the following dates :

         Deadline for submission (extended) :      December 15, 2000  *NEW*
         Notification of acceptance or rejection : February  1, 2001
         Deadline for corrected version of accepted papers :
                                                   February 15, 2001
                                                   
TCS SPECIAL ISSUE

   A special issue of Theoretical Computer Science devoted to "MCU'2001,
Machines, Computations and Universality", will be published on the topics of 
the conference.  A selection of the best works of the conference, among invited
lectures and accepted contributions will be published in this special issue.
It will be possible for a paper accepted for the Proceedings to be extended for
the special issue, provided that the selection process for the special issue 
accepts again the paper.

GRANTS FOR STUDENTS :

If our grant applications are successful enough, a certain number of grants
will be presented to young postdoc researches or PhD students in order to
attend the sessions of the conference.

REGISTRATION FEES :

In order to attending the conference, send your registration form by surface 
mail at the below indicated address, by FAX or by e-mail. Registration fees 
amount to 300 US$ if paid before March 1st 2001 and to 350 US$ after that date. 
In that latter case, they must be paid to the conference organization 
account before May, 1st, 2001. ALL participants have to pay the registration 
fees and please, take notice that the fees must be paid in EURO. 
Please, note that registration fees will be received by the University of Metz
at an account that will later be indicated.

LANGUAGE OF THE CONFERENCE :   English. 

ACCOMMODATION
  The accommodation will be provided by the local organisation committee.
Around one month before the conference, you will receive all indications on 
the accommodation by the organizing committee.

COMMUNICATION :

-- by e-mail : [email-masked]

and, in case of problems :   [email-masked]
                             [email-masked]
-- html site :
        http://mcu2001.iut.univ-metz.fr/~mcu2001
        http://www.math.md/mcu2001

-- fax :  (33 3) 87 31 54 96

-- by surface mail :

Yurii ROGOZHIN
International Conference "Machines, Computations and Universality"
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Academy of Sciences of Moldova,
Academiei, 5
MD-2028  CHISINAU, MOLDOVA 

Maurice MARGENSTERN
International Conference "Machines et calculs universels"
I.U.T. de Metz, 
De'partement d'Informatique,
I^le du Saulcy,
F - 57045 METZ CEDEX
FRANCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Organizing institutions :
         Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science 
             of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova
         LITA, University of Metz, France

First sponsors
         Laboratoire d'Informatique The'orique et Applique'e, 
             (LITA), the University of Metz, Metz, France
             
---------------------- PLEASE, DISTRIBUTE WIDELY! ---------------------

Please forward this CFP to those colleagues of yours who may be interested.