Subject: categories: CTCS 2004: Final CFP and Deadline Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:49:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Apologies if you receive this more than once]

---> CTCS 2004 FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS and DEADLINE EXTENSION <---

10th CONFERENCE ON CATEGORY THEORY AND COMPUTER SCIENCE (CTCS'04)
                        August 12-14, 2004

                             and

               FIRST GRADUATE STUDENT SUMMER SCHOOL
                        August 9-11, 2004

                             and

       3rd WORKSHOP ON CATEGORICAL METHODS FOR CONCURRENCY,
                INTERACTION AND MOBILITY (CMCIM 2004)
                        August 11, 2004

----------------------------------------------------------------

New Information since last call:

- Extended Submission Deadline: April 16th, 2004

- Thomas Streicher gives an invited talk entitled
  "A Universal Model for Infinitary CPS Language"
  (see abstract on the conference webpage, and other invited
   speakers below)

- Deadline passed for student grant applications

- Accomodation information
  (important deadlines at May 15th and July 1st)

----------------------------------------------------------------

CTCS 2004 is held at the new campus of the IT University of
Copenhagen, from Thursday August 12th to Saturday August 14th,
2004. Just before the conference, Monday 9th - Wednesday 11th,
there will be a graduate student summer school with lectures on:

 - Coalgebras, Modal Logic and Stone Duality (Lecturer: Alexander Kurz)
 - Game Semantics (Lecturer: Guy McCusker)
 - Operational Semantics (Lecturer: Pawel Sobocinski)
 - Categorical Models for Concurrency (Lecturer: Thomas Hildebrandt)

In between the summer school and the workshop the 3rd CMCIM workshop.

See the conference webpage and below for more details on these events.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of the CTCS conference series is the advancement of the
foundations of computing using the tools of category theory.  Previous
meetings have been held in Guildford (Surrey), Edinburgh (twice),
Manchester, Paris, Amsterdam, Cambridge, S. Margherita Ligure
(Genova), and Ottawa.

The emphasis is upon applications of category theory, but it is
recognized that the area is highly interdisciplinary. Typical topics
of interest include, but are not limited to, category-theoretic
aspects of the following: Coalgebras and computing, Concurrent and
distributed systems, Constructive mathematics, Declarative programming
and term rewriting, Domain theory and topology, Foundations of
computer security, Linear logic, Modal and temporal logics, Models of
computation, Program logics, data refinement, and specification,
Programming language semantics, Type theory

The proceedings of the conference will be published as a special issue
of ENTCS (Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

INVITED SPEAKERS

Francois Bergeron   (Quebec)
Martin Hyland    (Cambridge)
Robin Milner     (Cambridge)
Andrew Pitts     (Cambridge)
Thomas Streicher (Darmstadt)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Lars Birkedal, Chair (IT University of Copenhagen)
Marcelo Fiore (University of Cambridge)
Masahito Hasegawa (Kyoto University)
Bart Jacobs (University of Nijmegen)
Ugo Montanari (University of Pisa)
Valeria de Paiva (Palo Alto Research Center)
Dusko Pavlovic (Kestrel Institute)
John Power (University of Edinburgh)
Edmund Robinson (Queen Mary, University of London)
Peter Selinger (University of Ottawa)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

E. Moggi, Chair, (Genova)
S. Abramsky (Oxford)
P. Dybjer (Chalmers)
B. Jay (Sydney)
A. Pitts (Cambridge)

Local organizing committee:

C. Butz
T. Hildebrandt
A.L. Moerk

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Papers should be submitted, preferably in electronic form, to
[email-masked].

Papers are limited to 15 pages, and must be submitted in dvi,
postscript, or pdf format, possibly gzipped and/or uuencoded, or sent
as a standard email attachment. All submissions must be received by
April 16th, 2004 (notice extended deadline).  If you cannot submit
your paper electronically, please contact the program chair at
[email-masked].

-----------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT DATES:

- April 16th, 2004: Submission deadline (extended from April 9th)

- June 1st, 2004:  Notification of authors of accepted papers

- July 1st, 2004:  Registration deadline, and Revised papers due

-----------------------------------------------------------------

                            Associated events:

FIRST GRADUATE STUDENT SUMMER SCHOOL, August 9-11.

Inspired by the success of the graduate student preconference of
CTCS'02 in Ottawa, the CTCS of this year will have a graduate student
summer school from August 9-11, sponsored by the FIRST graduate school
(www.first.dk).  The goal is to prepare students (with basic knowledge
of category theory) for CTCS, through mini-courses in the basic areas
underlying some of the fields of the conference. The school will offer
the following mini-courses (5 lectures each):

    * Coalgebras, Modal Logic and Stone Duality (Lecturer: Alexander Kurz)
    * Game Semantics (Lecturer: Guy McCusker)
    * Operational Semantics (Lecturer: Pawel Sobocinski)
    * Categorical Models for Concurrency (Lecturer: Thomas Hildebrandt)

The program for the summer school can be found at:
http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/summerschool.html

Registration Deadline: July 1st.

CMCIM WORKSHOP, August 11.

In between the summer school and the CTCS conference, August 11th,
there will be a half-day workshop on Categorical Methods in
Concurrency, Interaction and Mobility. The workshop has previously
been held in connection with CONCUR 2002 and CONCUR 2003.

We invite submissions of extended abstracts (less than 5 pages),
presenting recent results, challenges or work in progress. There will
be no formal proceedings of the workshop, informal proceedings will be
distributed at the workshop. Thus, accepted material may be published
elsewhere at a later date.

Workshop participation is *free*, but requires registration.

Registration is done by sending an email to [email-masked], containing
`CMCIM2004-registration' in the subject, and your full name and
institution in the body.

Submissions should be sent as PostScript files to: [email-masked],
containing `CMCIM-submission' in the subject, and in the body the full
names of the author(s), title, and a text-only abstract.

Workshop Organizers:

  Thomas Hildebrandt
  Alexander Kurz

CMCIM Workshop Registration Deadline: July 1st.
CMCIM Workshop Submission Deadline: June 21th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ACCOMODATION OPTIONS

We have pre-booked a number of rooms for the conference and negotiated
a special rate for CTCS'04 participants in a number of hotels,
conveniently situated in the center of Copenhagen, but close to the
metro that takes you to the ITU in a few minutes. Please note that you
must make a final reservation for one of these rooms prior to July 1st
in order to benefit from the pre-booking and the special rates.

Cheaper accomodation is possible at a nearby youth hostel during the
summer school and conference. Book before May 15th to be sure to get a
room.

See http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/accomodation.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CONFERENCE, SUMMER SCHOOL and WORKSHOP HOMEPAGE

Updated information is available from

Conference:
http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/

Summer School:
http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/summerschool.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORSHIP

The CTCS conference and summer school are APPSEM-II events,
sponsored by the FIRST graduate school (www.first.dk) and the
Theory Department at the IT University of Copenhagen
(www.itu.dk/English/research/theory/)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

POSTER

http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/plakata4.pdf