Subject: categories: CFP: JELIA'04 - 9th European Conference on Logics in Artificial In=

From: "JELIA'04" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:09:46 -0300

telligence
To: [email-masked]
Content-Type: text/plain;iso-8859-1
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:00:27 +0100
X-Priority: 3
X-Library: Indy 8.0.25
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Apr 2004 19:00:31.0796 (UTC) FILETIME=3D[96802740=
:01C42640]
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

/------------------------------------------------------------------/
                         CALL FOR PAPERS
   9th European Conference on Logics in Artificial Intelligence
                             JELIA'04
                Lisbon, Portugal, September 27-30
             http://centria.di.fct.unl.pt/~jelia2004
       Submission deadline: May 9th (abstracts due May 6th)
/------------------------------------------------------------------/

INTRODUCTION
Logics have, for many years, laid claim to providing a formal
basis for the study and development of applications and
systems in Artificial Intelligence. With the depth and maturity
of formalisms, methodologies and logic-based systems today,
this claim is stronger than ever.
The European Conference on Logics in Artificial Intelligence (or
Journ=E9es Europ=E9ennes sur la Logique en Intelligence
Artificielle - JELIA) began back in 1988, as a workshop, in
response to the need for a European forum for the discussion
of emerging work in this field. Since then, JELIA has been
organised biennially, with English as official language, and with
proceedings published in Springer-Verlag's Lecture Notes in
Artificial Intelligence. Previous meetings took place in Roscoff,
France (1988), Amsterdam, Netherlands (1990), Berlin,
Germany (1992), York, U.K. (1994), =C9vora, Portugal (1996),
Dagstuhl, Germany (1998), M=E1laga, Spain (2000) and Cosenza,
Italy (2002).
The increasing interest in this forum, its international level
with growing participation from researchers outside Europe,
and the overall technical quality, has turned JELIA into a major
biennial forum for the discussion of logic-based approaches to
artificial intelligence.

AIM AND SCOPE
The aim of the 9th European Conference on Logics in Artificial
Intelligence, JELIA'04, is to bring together active researchers
interested in all aspects concerning the use of logics in
artificial intelligence to discuss current research, results,
problems and applications of both a theoretical and practical
nature.
JELIA strives to foster links and facilitate cross-fertilisation of
ideas among researchers from various disciplines, among
researchers from academia and industry, and between
theoreticians and practitioners. Authors are invited to submit
papers presenting original and unpublished research in all
areas related to the use of Logics in AI. A non-exhaustive list of
topics of interest includes:
-Abductive and inductive reasoning
-Applications of logic-based systems
-Automated reasoning and theorem proving
-Computational complexity and expressiveness in AI
-Description logics
-Foundations of logic programming and knowledge-based systems
-Hybrid reasoning systems
-Knowledge representation and reasoning
-Logic based AI systems
-Logic based applications to the Semantic Web
-Logic based planning and diagnosis
-Logic programming and nonmonotonic reasoning
-Logics and multi-agent systems
-Logics in machine learning
-Modal, temporal, spacial and hybrid logics
-Non-classical logics
-Nonmonotonic reasoning, belief revision and updates
-Reasoning about actions, causal reasoning and causation
-Uncertain and probabilistic reasoning

SUBMISSIONS
Papers should be written in English, formatted according to the
Springer LNCS style, and not exceed 13 pages including figures,
references, etc. Please refer to the conference web pages for
further instructions concerning the submission procedures.

IMPORTANT DATES
Abstract Submission: May 6th, 2004
Paper Submission: May 9th, 2004
Notification: June 21st, 2004
Camera Ready Copy: July 5th, 2004

PROCEEDINGS
Proceedings will be published by Springer-Verlag as a volume of
the Lecture Notes on Artificial Intelligence series. Extended
versions of selected papers presented at the conference will
be published in a special issue of the Journal of Applied Logic.

INVITED LECTURES
Franz Baader, TU Dresden, Germany
Bernhard Nebel, Universit=E4t Freiburg, Germany
Francesca Rossi, University of Padova, Italy

SYSTEM PRESENTATIONS
There will be a special session devoted to the presentation of
implemented systems. Please refer to the conference web
pages for further information.

CONFERENCE OFFICIALS
Conference Chair: Jo=E3o Leite, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
Program Chair: Jos=E9 J=FAlio Alferes, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portuga=
l

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
-Jos=E9 J=FAlio Alferes, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
-Franz Baader, TU Dresden, Germany
-Salem Benferhat, Universit=E9 d'Artois, France
-Alexander Bochman, Holon Academic Institute of Technology, Israel
-Gerhard Brewka, University of Leipzig, Germany
-Walter Carnielli, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil
-Luis Fari=F1as del Cerro, Universit=E9 Paul Sabatier, France
-James Delgrande, Simon Fraser University, Canada
-J=FCrgen Dix, TU Clausthal, Germany
-Roy Dyckhoff, University of St Andrews, UK
-Thomas Eiter, TU Wien, Austria
-Patrice Enjalbert, Universit=E9 de Caen, France
-Michael Fisher, University of Liverpool, UK
-Ulrich Furbach, University Koblenz-Landau, Germany
-Michael Gelfond, Texas Tech University, USA
-Sergio Greco, Universit=E0 della Calabria, Italy
-Jo=E3o Leite, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
-Maurizio Lenzerini, Universit=E0 di Roma "La Sapienza", Italy
-Nicola Leone, Universit=E0 della Calabria, Italy
-Vladimir Lifschitz, University of Texas at Austin, USA
-Maarten Marx, Universiteit van Amsterdam, The Netherlands
-John-Jules Meyer, Universiteit Utrecht, The Netherlands
-Bernhard Nebel, Universit=E4t Freiburg, Germany
-Ilkka Niemel=E4, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
-Manuel Ojeda-Aciego, Universidad de M=E1laga, Spain
-David Pearce, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Spain
-Lu=EDs Moniz Pereira, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
-Henry Prakken, Universiteit Utrecht, The Netherlands
-Luc de Raedt, Universit=E4t Freiburg, Germany
-Ken Satoh, National Institute of Informatics, Japan
-Renate Schmidt, University of Manchester, UK
-Terrance Swift, SUNY at Stony Brook, USA
-Mirek Truszczynski, University of Kentucky, USA
-Wiebe van der Hoek, University of Liverpool, UK
-Toby Walsh, University College Cork, Ireland
-Mary-Anne Williams, The University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
-Michael Zakharyaschev, King's College, UK

CONTACT
Send your questions and comments to [email-masked]