Subject: categories: CP Newsletter Vol 0, Number 1

From: Ian Miguel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:58:32 +0100

[from moderator: this item will be posted once only, if you want to
subscribe see the text]

With apologies for multiple copies:

                     Constraint Programming News
                       volume 0, number 1, 2004

           Full version at http://www.math.unipd.it/cp-online/newsletter
           Subscribe at http://www.math.unipd.it/cp-online/register

Editors: Jimmy Lee (events, career news), Eric Monfroy (profiles, publications)
Toby Walsh (news, reports).

CONTENTS
- news: CP05, CP06, CP elections ..
- events: forthcoming conferences and workshops
- career news: job adverts
- publications: PhD theses, recent books
- reports: AI&Maths 04
- profiles: Nantes

NEWS

Welcome to the first number of CP News, an initiative of the CP organizing
committee. We aim to provide a comprehensive summary of important news in
the area of constraint programming. The newsletter will be published quarterly
on 1st January, 1st April, 1st July, 1st October. Please email the relevant
editor with any news, event, report or profile you want published. To
subscribe, please visit http://www.math.unipd.it/cp-online/register

The CP organizing committee recently decided that CP-2005 will be held
in Sitges (near Barcelona) October 1st to 5th 2005. The conference will
be co-located with ICLP. Pedro Meseguer and Javier Larrosa will be local
chairs. Peter van Beek will be the program chair. The local organizers
have already arranged for an Annular Solar Eclipse to take place in Spain
during the conference.

The CP organizing committee also decided that CP-2006 will be held in
Nantes in 2006. Eric Monfroy and Frederic Benhamou will be the local chairs.

Each year, the CP community has the opportunity to elect two new members
to serve on the CP organizing committe. The committee consists of 10 members:
6 elected members, and 4 members drawn from the current and past local and
program chairs. If you wish to stand in this year's election, please send
your name and a short election statement to the Secretary of the Organizing
Committee, Toby Walsh ([email-masked]) by 1st June 2004. The electronic
elections will be held over the summer and the results announced at CP-2004.

Finally, don't forget. April 19th is the deadline to apply for the
CP 2004 Doctoral Programme .This is a forum held during the CP conference
to give PhD students visibility and an opportunity to discuss research and
career objectives with established researchers. More details at
http://ai.uwaterloo.ca/~cp2004/cfdc.html

PUBLICATIONS

PhD theses:

Santiago Macho Gonzalez, "Open Constraint Satisfaction", EPFL
http://liawww.epfl.ch/People/akira.html

Zeynep Kiziltan, "Symmetry breaking ordering constraints", Uppsala University
http://publications.uu.se/theses/abstract.xsql?dbid=3991

Charlotte Truchet. Constraints, local search and computer assisted composition. University Paris 7.
http://www-poleia.lip6.fr/~truchet/These/index-eng.html

Recent books

K.R. Apt
Principles of Constraint Programming,
Cambridge University Press (August 2003), xiv + 407 pages.
ISBN: 0521825830.

Rina Dechter
Constraint Processing
Morgan Kaufmann (May 2003) , 480 pages.
ISBN: 1558608907.

Thom Fruhwirth, Slim Abdennadher
Essentials of Constraint Programming
Series: Cognitive Technologies, Springer Verlag (2003),
IX, 145 p. 27 illus.,
ISBN: 3-540-67623-6.

EVENTS

CP-AI-OR'04, International Conference on Integration of AI and OR Techniques
in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimisation Problems.
20-22 April 2004, Nice, France. http://www-sop.inria.fr/coprin/cpaior04/

First Workshop on Constraint Handling Rules.  May 10 - May 14, 2004,
University of Ulm, Germany.
http://www.informatik.uni-ulm.de/pm/veranstaltungen/chr2004/

SAT 2004, Seventh International Conference on Theory and Applications
of Satisfiability Testing. 10-13 May 2004, Vancouver, Canada
http://www.satisfiability.org/SAT04/

FLAIRS 2004, Special Track on Constraint Solving and Programming. 17-19 May,
2004, Miami Beach, Florida, USA.
http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~osullb/flairs2004/

CORS/INFORMS 2004 Joint International Meeting, 16-19 May 2004,
Banff, Alberta, Canada.  http://www.informs.org/Conf/CORS/

ICAPS 2004, 14Th International Conference on Automated Planning &
Scheduling.  June 3-7 2004, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Sven.Koenig/icaps/icaps04/

CDB 2004, 1st International Symposium on Applications of Constraint
Databases (in conjunction with SIGMOD-PODS 2004).  June 12 - 13, 2004,
Paris, France.  http://alpha.luc.ac.be/~lucp1265/cdb04.html

PADL'04, Sixth International Symposium on Practical Aspects of Declarative
Languages 2004.  Jun 18-19, 2004, Dallas, Texas, USA.
http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/PADL04

CSCLP 2004: Joint Annual Workshop of ERCIM/CoLogNet on Constraint Solving
and Constraint Logic Programming, 23-25 June 2004, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
Paper submission deadline: 10 May. http://liawww.epfl.ch/Events/ercim04/

AAAI 2004, The Nineteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
July 25 - 29, 2004, San Jose, California, USA.
http://www.aaai.org/Conferences/National/2004/aaai04.html

ECAI 2004 workshop on "Modelling and Solving Problems with Constraints",
22 August 2004, Valencia, Spain. Paper submission deadline: 4 May
http://4c.ucc.ie/~brahim/ecai04ws/

ECAI 2004 workshop on "Constraint Satisfaction Techniques for Planning
and Scheduling Problems", 23 August 2004, Valencia, Spain. Paper submission
deadline: 15 April. http://www.dsic.upv.es/~msalido/workshop-ecai04/index.html

ECAI 2004 workshop on "Configuration", 23-24 August 2004, Valencia, Spain.
Paper submission deadline: 1 April.
http://www.ifi.uni-klu.ac.at/Conferences/ECAI04-Configuration-Workshop

ECAI 2004 tutorial on "Constraint Processing", Pedro Meseguer, Thomas Schiex
24 August 2004, Valencia, Spain.

STAIRS 2004, 2nd European Starting AI Researcher Symposium.  August 23-24,
2004, Valencia, Spain.  Paper submission deadline: April 7, 2004.
http://www.dsic.upv.es/ecai2004/stairs2004/cfp/style.html

ECAI 2004, 16th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2004).
22-27 August, 2004, Valencia, Spain.  http://www.dsic.upv.es/ecai2004/

CICLOPS'04, Colloquium on Implementation of Constraint and LOgic
Programming Systems (held in conjunction with ICLP'04).  6-10 September,
2004, Saint-Malo, France.  Paper submission deadline: April 26, 2004.
http://clip.dia.fi.upm.es/Conferences/CICLOPS-2004/

COLOPS'04, 2nd International Workshop on COnstraint & LOgic Programming in
Security (held in conjunction with ICLP'04).  6-10 September,
2004, Saint-Malo, France.  Workshop Coordination: Frank Valencia
([email-masked])

MultiCPL 2004, 3rd International Workshop on Multiparadigm Constraint
Programming Languages (held in conjunction with ICLP'04).  6-10 September,
2004, Saint-Malo, France.  Paper submission deadline: May 9, 2004.
http://uebb.cs.tu-berlin.de/MultiCPL04

ICLP'04, Twentieth International Conference on Logic Programming.  6-10
September, 2004, Saint-Malo, France.
http://www.irisa.fr/manifestations/2004/ICLP04/

KI2004, 27th GERMAN CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE.  September
20-24, Ulm, Germany.  Paper submission deadline: April 8.
http://ki2004.uni-ulm.de/

AISC 2004, 7th International Conference on ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND
SYMBOLIC COMPUTATION.  September 22-24, 2004, RISC (Research Institute for
Symbolic Computation), Castle of Hagenberg, Austria.  Paper submission
deadline: May 1, 2004.  http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/conferences/aisc2004/

CP 2004, Tenth International Conference on Principles and Practice of
Constraint Programming, 27 September - 1 October 2004, Toronto, Canada
Paper submission deadline: 16 April. http://ai.uwaterloo.ca/~cp2004/

MOZ 2004, Second International Mozart/Oz Conference (MOZ 2004).  7-8 Oct,
2004, Charleroi, Belgium.  Paper submission deadline: 9 July.
http://www.cetic.be/moz2004.

ICAPS 2006, 16Th International Conference on Automated Planning &
Scheduling.  Call for Proposals deadline: 21 May 2004.  Information about
previous ICAPS conferences is available at
http://www.icaps-conference.org/.

CAREER NEWS

Research Assistant (planning with incomplete knowledge).
M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree or equivalent in computer science.
Initially for two years, with a possible extension to a third year.
Salary is class 2a  in the German BAT scale (about 1500 euro a month after
taxes for an unmarried person of age 26. More if you are older or married.)
Dr. Jussi Rintanen
Institut fuer Informatik
Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
email: [email-masked]

AI Engineers (advanced configuration and ordering technology)
Edgenet Inc, Nashview, TN, USA
http://www.edgenet.com
Please email your resume to rajeshATedgenetDOTcom (replace AT by @ and DOT
by .)

REPORTS

Eighth International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics.
Program Chairs: Fahiem Bacchus and Peter van Beek. 4-6 January 2004
http://rutcor.rutgers.edu/~amai/aimath04/
The online newsletter contains a full report about this conference, which
featured sessions on constraints, preferences, satisfiability, portfolio
design, and game theory. http://www.math.unipd.it/cp-online/newsletter

PROFILES

The Nantes CP community is composed of researchers from two institutions:
-the CoCoA group (Continuous Constraints and Applications) of the
 University of Nantes (http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/)
-the CD group (Discrete Constraints) of the Ecole des Mines de Nantes
 (http://www.emn.fr/)
These two themes are grouped together in the new CNRS common research
structure: the LINA. All together, this amounts to 13 faculties.
Our main goal is to develop techniques, languages, and tools for
discrete and continuous constraints. A longer profile of the activities
of the Nantes CP community can be found in the online newsletter.
http://www.math.unipd.it/cp-online/newsletter