Subject: categories: CfP: GETCO 04

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:54:50 +0200 (MEST)

[Apologies if you should receive multiple copies of this:]

                             Sixth workshop on
                     Geometric and Topological Methods
                  in Concurrency and Distributed Computing

                                 GETCO 2004

   Affiliated with DISC 2004

   Venue: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

   Conference dates:
   DISC: 4-8 October 2004
   GETCO: 4 October 2004

                              Call for Papers

Scope

   The main mathematical disciplines that have been used in computer
   science are discrete mathematics (especially graph theory and ordered
   structures), logics (mostly proof theory for all kinds of logics,
   classical, intuitionistic, modal etc.) and category theory (cartesian
   closed categories, topoi etc.). General Topology has also been used
   for instance in denotational semantics, with relations to ordered
   structures in particular.

   Recently, ideas and notions from mainstream "geometric" topology and
   algebraic topology have entered the scene in Concurrency Theory and
   Distributed Systems Theory (some of them based on older ideas). They
   have been applied in particular to problems dealing with coordination
   of multi-processor and distributed systems (see the historical
   note ). Among those are techniques borrowed from algebraic and
   geometric topology: Simplicial techniques have led to new theoretical
   bounds for coordination problems. Higher dimensional automata have
   been modelled as cubical complexes with a partial order reflecting the
   time flows, and their homotopy properties allow to reason about a
   system's global behaviour.

   The GETCO workshops aim at bringing together researchers from both the
   mathematical (geometry, topology, algebraic topology etc.) and
   computer scientific side (concurrency theorists, semanticians,
   algorithmicians, researchers in distributed systems etc.) with an
   active interest in these or related developments.

   Topics include (but are not limited to):
     * Algorithmics for Concurrent or Distributed Systems
     * Fault-tolerant Protocols for Distributed Systems
     * Semantics
     * Concurrency Theory
     * Model-checking
     * Abstract Interpretation
     * Geometric/Topological models
     * Applications of algebraic topology
     * Category theory

Paper submission

   Submissions to the workshop may be of two forms:
     * Short abstracts: up to 4 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points
     * Full papers: up to 12 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points
       (excluding bibliography and technical appendices)

   Both forms of submission should include a separate page with the
   following information: title, author(s), corresponding author, contact
   information and a 12-15 lines summary. Simultaneous submission to
   other conferences or journals is only allowed for short abstracts.

   Electronic submission is strongly encouraged. The paper or abstract
   should be sent by e-mail in the form of a postscript file to both the
   addresses [email-masked] and [email-masked]. The
   accompanying page should be sent in a separate email message. If
   surface mail has to be used, then 3 copies of the paper/abstract
   should be sent to: Emmanuel Haucourt, DTSI/SLA, bat. 528, CEA Saclay,
   91191 Gif-sur-Yvette, France.

   The deadline for submissions is 28 June 2004.

Important Dates

     * Deadline for submission: 28 June 2004
     * Notification of acceptance: 2 August 2004
     * Final version (for the preproceedings): 23 August 2004
     * DISC: 4-8 October 2004
     * GETCO: 4 October 2004

Publication

   Contacts have been taken so that accepted papers will be made
   available in the BRICS Notes series.

   Contacts have been taken with Electronic Notes in Theoretical
   Computer Science to publish the proceedings of the workshop - full
   papers only - in a special volume. The programme committee will decide
   upon necessary revisions and acceptance of papers to this volume after
   the workshop.

Contact

   Additional information can be obtained from the GETCO website
   at
           http://www.math.aau.dk/~uli/getco04

   or by taking contact to

       Ulrich Fahrenberg
       Department of Mathematical Sciences, Aalborg University
       Fredrik Bajers Vej 7G
       9220 Aalborg East
       Phone: +45 96 35 88 00
       Fax: +45 98 15 81 29
       Email: [email-masked]