Subject: categories: research positions for doctoral students

From: Stephane Foldes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 00:54:57 +0300 (EEST)

RESEARCH POSTIONS FOR DOCTORAL STUDENTS
Call for expressions of interest

Applicants sought in discrete mathematics

The Tampere Graduate School in Information Science and Engineering (TISE),
a graduate school affiliated with the Tampere University of Technology
(TUT) and the University of Tampere, expects to have research position
openings for doctoral students. The positions are renewable for up to four
years. Applications require faculty support from a TISE-affiliated
university. For general information see www.cs.tut.fi/tise/.

The Institute of Mathematics at TUT is interested in supporting TISE
applications in the area of discrete mathematics and theoretical computer
science, broadly conceived as including relevant areas of algebra, in
particular of categorical algebra, as well as of geometry and other
subjects. Within the spectrum of priorities represented in TISE and the
Institute of Mathematics at TUT, the emphasis of the present call for
expressions of interest is on theoretical rather than applied research and
on structural rather than algorithmic aspects of discrete mathematics.

TISE expects to issue a call for formal applications in or around
September 2004, and positions would be available starting January 2005. At
the present time expressions of interest are invited in the areas indicated,
to be sent to the undersigned, in order to explore the possibility of faculty
support.

The sine qua non prerequisite, in addition to general TISE requirements,
is authorship of an independent research paper in mathematics (other than
co-authored papers), of publishable content, whether actually published or
unpublished. Please transmit the relevant material only by postal mail.
Informal enquiries are welcome.

Stephan Foldes
Professor of Mathematics
Tampere University of Technology, PL 553, 33101 Tampere, Finland
Tel: ++358 3 3115 2427 Fax: ++358 3 3115 3549 E-mail: [email-masked]