|A PDF version of the 2011-2012 Academic Calendar is available here.|
Table of Contents
The Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives include the Ralph Pickard Bell Library, the Alfred Whitehead Music Library, and the University Archives. The libraries provide Mount Allison students and faculty with access to information around the world on-line and through book and periodical collections. They are committed to working with students and faculty to promote information literacy - accessing, critically evaluating, and using information effectively and ethically. Their librarians offer in-depth reference services, in-class instruction and research interviews by appointment.
The Mount Allison University Libraries hold over 1.2 million books, videos, DVDs, audio materials, microforms, maps, etc., and provides access to the contents of over 22,000 journals in various formats. The Ralph Pickard Bell Library houses all the University's collections except music, including collections of rare books, maps and manuscripts dating from as far back as the 17th century.
Students can access the electronic library catalogues and databases by computer from their residence room, from any of the computer labs on campus, or from anywhere they have Internet access. The Libraries are open seven days a week during the school year. They are a member of the Atlantic Scholars Information Network (ASIN) which permits Mount Allison students and faculty to consult and borrow materials in academic libraries throughout Canada.
The Alfred Whitehead Music Library is home to impressive collections of catalogued printed music, books and bound journals (over 24,000), indexed sheet music (over 6,000 items), specialized electronic databases such as RILM Abstracts of Music Literature and Grove Music Online, and audio-visual materials including over 7,500 commercial audio recordings as well as 30 years of recordings of Mount Allison Department of Music's concerts.
The University Archives is housed in the Ralph Pickard Bell Library. Archival holdings support the University's administrative operations and also act as primary research sources for faculty, students, alumni and the general public.
The Archives acquires, preserves and makes available the archival records of Mount Allison University which have long term legal, financial, and historical value. Holdings consist of over 2,000 feet of textual records, approximately 10,000 photographs, as well as manuscript maps, architectural drawings, videocassettes, films and sound recordings. Records and publications of the Board of Regents, Senate, Faculty Council, Office of the President and all University units, departments and programs, as well as records and publications related to faculty, student and campus life from 1843 to the present are acquired. The Archives also obtains selected private fonds and collections related to the greater Chignecto area of Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Holdings include family papers, business records, and records of local clubs and organizations. Archival documents must be examined in the Archives and are not available for loan. The Archivist offers reference services, in-class instruction and research interviews by appointment.
A fund established in 1967 by a bequest of the late Tannis Allison to commemorate the names of David Allison, president of Mount Allison University, 1869-1878, and 1891-1911, his wife, Elizabeth A. Allison, Henry Augustus Allison, and his wife Tannis Allison.
A fund established in 1956 by a bequest of the late Raymond Clare Archibald, 1894. The income is used to maintain the Mary Mellish Archibald collection which Dr. Archibald had established in 1905 in memory of his mother, Mary (Mellish) Archibald, and had continued to develop until his death in 1955.
Established in 1987 by the Class of '36, the Archives Enrichment Fund supports the development and preservation of the holdings of the Mount Allison archives.
A fund established in 1976 by the will of the late Percy Simpson Bailey, B.A., 1907, to purchase books in the Departments of Mathematics, Physics, Geology and Classics.
A fund established in 1962. The income from this fund is for books in Canadian History and Politics.
A fund established in 1980 by C.F. Black, Margaret Folkins and Dorothy Silvester in memory of their brother William Harold Black. The income is used to purchase recordings for the music appreciation course.
A fund established in 1973. The income is used to strengthen Library resources in Marketing.
A fund established in 2002 from the estate of Olga Bernice Bishop to be used for the purchase of library materials
A fund established by an anonymous donor in 1979. The annual income is used to purchase Canadian Music recordings and scores.
A fund established in 1982 by Stephen D. Clark and June D. Clark in memory of members of their families. A portion of the income is to be granted to the Library to buy books for the Biology Department.
A fund established by the family and friends of Elva Ruth Cogswell (B.A. '84) in 1986. The annual income provides books related to the field of Canadian Studies.
A fund established in memory of Julia T. Colpitts, 1899, by her brother, Edwin H. Colpitts, 1893. The income from this fund is used to purchase Mathematics books .
A fund established in 1969 to commemorate the teaching career of Thomas Colpitts, class of 1879, by his granddaughter, Dr. Olga Bishop, class of 1938, to be used to purchase books in the field of Education.
The income from the fund is used to purchase books in the field of Chemistry.
A fund established in memory of Dr. Donald Darrach, by his wife, Typhenia Tuplin, L.C. 1870-71.
A fund established in memory of Leon Estabrooks, class of 1951, by his parents, the income from which is used for books in the fields of Arts and Crafts.
A fund established in 1971 from a bequest from the estate of William Benton North Evans, the income to be used to purchase materials on church and organ music.
A fund established by Reverend G.W.F. Glendenning, class of 1884, and Mrs. Glendenning (Ellen Bent, L.C. 1882-83), the income from which is to be used for books in English Literature.
A fund established in 1980, the income of which is for books in Canadian Studies.
A fund established in 1988 by Mrs. Jean Grainger and the Grainger family in memory of Jack K. Grainger (B.A. '33, M.A. '34), a former member of the Board of Regents. The annual income is for books relating to English and History.
A fund established in memory of Ann Henderson, class of 1959, for books in the field of Music.
A fund established in 1939 by a bequest of Reverend Thomas Hicks (1853-1932) upon the death of his wife in January 1939.
A fund established in 1984 by Dr. Clinton H. and Kathleen Strothard Holder in memory of their parents. The income is to be used by the Department of Chemistry for library acquisitions.
A fund established by her son, the Rev. Samuel Howard (B.A. '84, B.D, '95, D.D., '23), and the Rev. William J. Howard (B.A., '88, B.D.' 91). The income is to be used for books in Canadian Studies.
A fund established in 1978 to commemorate the work of Dorothy Hunton in promoting literature for boys and girls in the community. The income is used to purchase children's classics, new and old.
A fund for the purchase of materials on U.S. foreign relations, established in April 1973 by S.C. Lawrence Ip, a third year Arts student.
A fund established in 1969 by the family and friends of Cecil Record Johns, who was a faculty member of the Department of Music, 1927-1931. The income from this fund is to be used to purchase books in Music.
Funds established in memory of Rev. D.W. Johnson, 1873 and Mrs. Johnson (Jennie L. Morse, M.L.A., 1872), by their sons, C.H. Johnson, 1898 and A.L. Johnson, 1903. The income from the former is for binding of periodicals and from the latter for books in Canadian Literature.
A fund established in 2002. This fund is to be used for the purchase of Library books related to the English Department.
A fund established in 1991 at the time of Professor MacFarlane's retirement from Mount Allison University. The income is for Physics books.
A fund established in 1981 by a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Marion H. Bennett in memory of her father, Edwin Robinson Machum, who was a student and friend of the University, and, for many years, a member of the Board of Regents. The income is for books, preferably in English literature.
The Morton Memorial Fund was established in 1977 by Dr. Harry S. Morton, O.B.E., LL.D., F.R.C.O.G., F.R.C.S., in memory of his grandfather, The Rev. Arthur Dwight Morton, B.A., 1864, M.A., 1870, D.D., 1903, and in memory of his father, Dr. Charles Stuart Morton, M.B.M.D. (Tor.), F.A.C.S., F.R.C.S., (C) and his mother, Maie Howard Stafford, Ladies College 1900-1902. Eighty percent of the endowment interest is to develop the library collection and is divided equally between Biology, Biochemistry, and History at the discretion of the University Librarian. The balance of the income is returned to the Fund capital.
A fund established in 1928 and since largely augmented by the late Mr. B.E. Paterson in memory of his wife, (Hattie Snowball Black, Piano 1881). The income is for books of general interest, including travel and biographies.
A fund established in 1995. This fund is to be used for the enhancement of the collections of the Music Library.
A fund established in 1973 in memory of Ella Smith, M.A., D.Litt. by her sister. The income of this fund is for history books, to commemorate Dr. Smith's years as professor of History at Mount Allison University.
A fund established in 2002 from the estate of James C. Reid to be used for the purchase of library books.
A fund established in 1987 by Louise V.D. Seaman in memory of her husband. The income is for books in Religious Studies.
A fund established in memory of her father by Miss Clara G. Turner, of the State Teachers' College, Harrisburg, Virginia. The income from this fund is mainly for books in Theology.
A fund established in 1952 by the will of the late William Morley Tweedie for standard works in English language and literature.
A fund established from the estate of Jean T. Ward for the purchase of library materials.
A fund established in 1975 in memory of Frank Leslie West, who was associated with Mount Allison University as a student, a member of and head of the Engineering Department, Dean of Science, and Vice-President, during the years 1908-1962. The income from this fund is for books on community planning and sports and general science reference books.
The Alumni Society of the Mount Allison College and Academy was established in 1874. The Alumnae Society of the Mount Allison Ladies College was organized in 1871. In 1937, the two societies united and, by an Act of the New Brunswick Legislature, formed the Mount Allison Federated Alumni, Inc.
Throughout the years, Alumni have given generously of their time, talents and resources to continue Mount Allison's tradition of outstanding liberal education.
Operating from Centennial Hall, 65 York Street, the Alumni staff keeps records of more than 20,000 Allisonians, produces and distributes the Mount Allison Record, and maintains liaison with graduates, non-graduates and friends throughout the world.
The Federated Alumni elects 4 members to the Mount Allison Board of Regents.
For more than a century, Allisonians have undertaken to provide strong support to a large number of Mount Allison endowments. Scholarships, bursaries, buildings and equipment have all benefited from the enthusiastic assistance of the University's alumni.
The Federated Alumni is active in recruiting students and is ready to assist the University, parents, and prospective students in appropriate action to assure the continued enrolment of energetic and stimulating scholars.
There are several publicly accessible computer labs on campus. The PC labs have well over one hundred networked DELL computers. The Macintosh lab has 17 Macintosh computers and a flatbed scanner. A Student Helpdesk Consultant is available evenings and weekends in the Library to answer questions and provide assistance. The Computing Services Helpdesk is open weekdays to assist students and staff. Laser printing is available at several locations. The Multimedia Production Centre has several PCs and Macs with a number of digital media production software and hardware packages including video editing suites, flatbed, slide and negative scanners, digital cameras, and other video/audio equipment.
Software available in the labs include Web browsers, E-mail, Microsoft Office for word processing, presentations, and spreadsheets and several mathematics, statistical and scientific packages. Several programming languages and many other course-specific programs are available. There is also CD-ROM based information offered in conjunction with the Ralph Pickard Bell Library and access to its on-line catalogue.
The campus network has a Gigabit Ethernet backbone, with switched Ethernet connections to the desktop. Thirty-six campus buildings are connected to the campus fibre-optic network. All offices, classrooms, and student residence rooms have network jacks. The University is a member of the NB/PEI Educational Computer Network (ECN) and has a Gigabit connection to other ECN institutions and a shared 150 Megabit connection to the Internet. A Gigabit connection from campus to Ca*Net 4 is available as well. Mount Allison also has a wireless network covering the entire campus.
A high speed network connection is available for a small fee to all students living in residence who have a computer. Students also have access to the wireless network in residence.
Computing Services, located in the Bennett building at 10 Salem Street, manages and maintains the University's computing and network resources, and provides advisory and training assistance to all members of the university community through the Helpdesk and Student Helpdesk Consultants.
Textbooks, Fine Arts and materials required for courses offered by Mount Allison University are available for sale at the Bookstore located at 62 York Street, Sackville, N.B., E4L 1E2. The Bookstore is owned by Mount Allison University with the object to make textbooks and required course materials available to students at the lowest possible prices. Prices are currently discounted between 5-15% below suggested publisher prices.
Hours of operation are normal working hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with extended hours in September. Payment may be made by cash, cheque, VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Interac direct payment. Books on Beds and other orders may be placed on our secure website found at < http://bookstore.mta.ca > for the month before the term begins in both September and January. If you are staying in residence please take a look at our Books on Beds ordering option and save the time waiting in line.
Branches of the Royal Bank of Canada and the Bank of Nova Scotia are located in Sackville. Twenty-four hour banking facilities are available at both branches as well as ATM service in the University Centre.
Each year the University helps sponsor a series of performances by groups and artists distinguished in the field of high quality entertainment. Mount Allison students have the opportunity to reserve tickets for these performances on specially favourable terms. Full details are available in the Performing Arts Series Brochure supplied to students each September.
Copyright © 2011 Mount Allison University
Maintained by the Webmaster