Mount Allison University Campus

Academic Calendar 2021-2022

Table of Contents

6 Co-Curricular Life

6.1 The Mount Allison Students' Union

The MASU is governed by the Students' Administrative Council (SAC), a body of elected and appointed persons who represent the educational, social and personal concerns of Mount Allison students. These representatives include, but are not limited to, student senators, councilors-at-large, and a six-member executive.

There are many opportunities to be involved with the MASU. For example, the MASU hires a number of part-time staff that receive compensation in the form of a small honoraria. Students can also serve on various committees, such as the Sustainability Committee and Finance Committee.

The MASU employs a General Manager, Office Manager, and Insurance Administrator to aid in its work. The MASU office is located on the first floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre.

Some of the services and events provided by the MASU include:

  • Orientation, Shinerama, Winter Carnival, and the ASCARS

  • Extended Health and Dental Insurance and International Insurance

  • Funding for Clubs and Societies and for Academic Enrichment

  • Off-Campus Housing Directory

  • The MASU Handbook/Agenda and the Allisonian Yearbook

  • Events, parties, and workshops

The MASU also sponsors and promotes the Clubs and Societies (C&S) of Mount Allison. These are a great asset and a wonderful way to become involved with the Mount Allison community. Examples of C&S include:

  • Academic: Commerce Society, Psychology Society, Politics and IR Society, Chemistry Society, etc.

  • Community Involvement: Association for Physically Disabled and Chronically Ill Students (ACID), Because I am a Girl, Best Buddies, Eco-Action, Global Brigades, Health Care Outreach, Habitat for Humanity, MOSIAC, Right to Play, SMILE, World University Services of Canada (WUSC), etc.

  • Debating and Governance: Debate Society, Model United Nations, Young Liberals, Young Conservatives, etc.

  • International Organizations: UNICEF, Amnesty International, etc.

  • Sports: Rugby (Men's and Women's), Lacrosse, Varsity Dance, Ultimate Frisbee, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, etc.

  • Musical, Theatre, and Musical Theatre: Garnet and Gold, Drama Society, Conduct Becoming, etc.

  • And many, many more!

Any student wishing to join a club or society can do so by attending the MASU C&S Fair in September and should go to the MASU Office for help starting a new C&S. All athletic clubs and intramurals are run through the Athletics Department.

Overall, students have widespread representation on campus, including membership on the Board of Regents (governing body) and Senate (academic body). Full-time students are also represented at the provincial and federal level by advocacy organizations such as the New Brunswick Student Alliance (NBSA) and the Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA).

6.2 The Argosy Weekly

This weekly newspaper has been published for over 125 years by an all-student staff. The newspaper is editorially independent of both the University administration and the Student Administrative Council.


In 1985 the CHMA Radio Station was converted to FM Stereo frequency. Mount Allison is one of the smallest universities to have an FM radio station. The staff (from the announcers to the technicians) consists mainly of students and members of the Sackville community, all working under a full-time Station Manager. The Station is funded by students fees and advertising revenues and reaches a listening audience of over 15,000.

6.4 Motyer-Fancy Theatre

The state-of-the-art Motyer-Fancy Theatre, located in the Purdy Crawford Centre for the Arts, not only supports the Drama Studies Program but is also open to the campus community. All students are encouraged to audition for roles, and to volunteer for design and production crews guided by professional staff and student technicians. It is also the home of Tintamarre, Mount Allison's bilingual theatre theatre troupe.

6.5 Residence Council

Students living in the University's various residences elect house executives. These bodies organize house events and co-ordinate social activities. The President of each house executive sits on Residence Council, a body which represents residential concerns to the Student Life, Student Affairs or Housing Offices.

6.6 The Pond

The campus pub, established in 1974, is a vibrant venue for social gatherings. The Pond is the only permanently licensed facility on campus and offers to its members T.V. screens, a dance floor and weekly special events. The Pond is located in the Wallace McCain Student Centre, ground floor.

6.7 Student Employment

Part time job opportunities are available at Mount Allison. Students may earn extra income through employment with Dining Services, the Library, the Event Services Staff, Residence Staff, Bar Services, The Pond, the Bookstore, Conference Office and Summer Camps, and various academic departments. Contact the appropriate department of interest and/or Experiential Learning and Career Development.

6.8 Accommodation

6.8.1 Residences

Mount Allison is a residential university with housing facilities available for approximately 50% of the student population. Each residence is unique and provides a positive living and learning environment, which promotes a balanced university experience. All first-year students who want to live in residence are guaranteed accommodation if deposit deadlines are met.

Since 1973 the University has offered co-ed residence facilities to its students. Bennett and Hunton offer single and double rooms while Edwards and Harper have single rooms. Single rooms with shared en-suite bathrooms are available in Bennett, Campbell and Bigelow. Single rooms with private en-suite bathrooms are available in Thornton. The newly renovated Windsor Hall is open for the 2019/2020 academic year with single shared en-suite, single private en-suite and double en-suite rooms.

Our 10 secure residences offer common lounges, kitchens, study rooms and laundry facilities with high speed and wireless Internet, digital cable TV (except Windsor) and phone hook ups in each room (except Windsor; students provide the hardware). Typical room furnishings are a bed, desk, chair, closets, mini-fridge, lighting and shelving. Rooms in Bigelow, Windsor, and Thornton have microwave ovens. All en-suite style rooms in Campbell, Bigelow, Bennett, Harper, Thornton and Windsor have televisions provided.

Prospective students should note that the University cannot be responsible for personal property. Students are strongly advised to insure their personal belongings. As indicated in the Conditions of Residence Accommodation, pets, halogen lights, hot plates, wireless routers and networking equipment and firearms and explosive materials are not permitted in residence.

6.8.2 Residence Application Procedure

All first year students who wish to be considered for residence accommodation can apply using the application form found in the portal on the Housing website at <> . The residence application for new students opens November 1. A non-refundable residence application fee of $50.00 is required to complete the application. Assignment of residence rooms is based on the date the $100 registration deposit is received by the Registrar's Office up to March 6. The $500.00 residence deposit must be paid by March 6 to be eligible for early residence room assignments. The $500 residence deposit must be paid by May 3 to guarantee residence accommodation for September. Residence applications and deposits are accepted and rooms assigned after March 6 as they are received. For further information see Fees, Section 4.2.

Students are asked to take the time to answer all the questions on the application, as this helps in appropriate placement of students in residence. Provided incoming students have met all admission and deposit deadlines, they are guaranteed residence accommodation.

Students wishing to remain in residence for their second, third and fourth years of study can participate in the room draw process beginning early October. Students can choose to stay in the same room, move to another room in the same residence or move to another residence for the following year. The room draw application can be found by signing in to the housing portal at <> . There is no application fee for room draw.

Once a student enters residence, the student is responsible for the full residence, meal plan and services fees. If a student later withdraws from residence, the student will be entitled to the refunds detailed in Section 4.5 "Withdrawals and Student Accounts".

Students studying abroad should contact the Registrar's Office, <> , in January, if they wish to live in residence upon their return to Mount Allison.

6.8.3 Non-University Housing

The Mount Allison Students Union (MASU) maintains, for the use of students, a list of accommodations available in Sackville and area. Students wishing to live in town are invited to use this information.

6.9 Department of Athletics and Recreation

6.9.1 Intercollegiate Athletics, Varsity Programs

Mount Allison's Intercollegiate athletic teams compete against other Atlantic Universities in a number of sports. Mount Allison competes in the Atlantic University Sport conference in football, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's swimming, and women's ice hockey. Mount Allison also has varsity teams in the Atlantic College Athletic Association in men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, and men's and women's badminton. In all sports, the championship team represents Atlantic Canada in National Championships. The Mounties also play exhibition games with teams from other parts of Canada and the United States.

If you are interested in receiving information about a varsity program, contact either the coach or the Athletic Director. Please note that the fall sports usually have pre-season tryout camps. Students interested in one of these sports should contact the Athletic Director.

Note: Students who are registered in self-directed distance learning courses offered by Mount Allison and who are considered full-time students according to their course load, but who pay per-course tuition according to the fee structure outlined in 4.1.1 are not considered full-time on-campus students and are not eligible to participate in varsity sports that require confirmation of full-time enrolment.

6.9.2 Competitive Club Sports

A number of competitive club sport teams have been developed in recent years. Men's and women's rugby, curling, lacrosse, field hockey, and ultimate frisbee are just some of the sports that have developed representative teams and compete against other Universities and Colleges. The co-ordinator is the Athletic Director.

6.9.3 Intramurals

The intramural program gives students the opportunity to participate and compete in a wide variety of activities. Emphasis is placed on participation and fun. Leagues are scheduled in soccer, softball, basketball, hockey, and volleyball. Tournaments are held in golf, curling, tennis, badminton, ultimate frisbee, and other sports based on student interest. The co-ordinator is the Intramural Co-ordinator.

6.9.4 Campus Recreation

There is ample time scheduled in the athletic facilities for open recreational use. Badminton, swimming, tennis, skating, pick up hockey, basketball, field games, ultimate frisbee, and fitness related activities are very popular daily activities. The fitness centre is open seven days a week with group fitness classes and personal training services available.

6.9.5 Men's and Women's Intramural Councils

Students play an integral part in the organization and administration of Mount Allison's intramural program.

Each residence on-campus and off-campus students have or will elect one or two representatives who make up the intramural council. If you are interested in becoming involved as a sports representative, contact your house president as soon as you arrive on campus. Many students become involved as officials for intramural competitions. These are part-time jobs, and students are paid for their services. If you would like to become an intramural official, contact the Intramural Office early in September.

6.10 Religious Life on Campus

6.10.1 Introduction

Mount Allison is a church-founded university which affirms the partnership of faith and higher education. The Mount Allison crest declares that religion is a central and integral part of university life, and the University continues the commitment made in its founding to nurture the spiritual life of students. It supports and encourages personal spiritual development and affirms that university is a place to be awakened to the deep mysteries of life; the search for truth is a religious quest as well as an educational goal.

The chapel at Mount Allison, located at the heart of the campus, is a visible symbol of the commitment of the university to the importance of faith in university life. It stands as a reminder that the university is committed to nurturing students as whole human persons.

While founded under Methodist direction, Mount Allison upholds freedom of religion and creeds. Chapel worship and activities are ecumenical by design; the Office of the Chaplain is intended to be an ecumenical appointment, responsive not only to the many Christian denominations represented on campus but to the diversity of religious traditions. The Chaplain is open to engaging students of all religions in faith development.

6.10.2 The Chapel

The Chapel on campus is a refuge and a retreat in the midst of the activity around it; it is open daily for quiet reflection or prayer. Its exterior design makes it accessible from any direction on campus; the interior design naturally draws the eye upwards. The chapel is used primarily for worship, but individuals and groups associated with the university may arrange with the Chaplain for the use of the chapel for purposes that reflect the goal of nurturing religious life on campus.

The chapel was built and dedicated in 1965 through the initiative and generosity of the Rev. C.H. Johnson, and with the support of many other alumni, friends of the university, church people of the region and other individuals and institutions.

The organ is a gift of a former Chancellor, Dr. Ralph P. Bell, in memory of his mother. The stained glass windows were given by Marjorie Young Bell. A permanent record of the gifts is found in "The Book of Remembrance" in the narthex of the chapel. A small meditation room for private or small group prayer or worship is located to the right of the front of the sanctuary; the Chaplain maintains a study to the left side. The Manning Room in the basement is named for the generous gift of Mrs. Gladys M. Manning, and is dedicated to the religious and social life of the campus.

A multi-faith prayer room is available in the chapel; this room is intended for private or small group prayer in a comfortable setting supportive of all religious traditions. A Muslim student group makes use of this prayer room every Friday.

6.10.3 Worship

Sunday evening worship services, or vespers, are held throughout the academic year. Other special services in the week take place through the year.

The Chaplain provides leadership in worship, drawing on students and other members of the University community. Students take an active role in the chapel programs, sharing in planning, preparing and leading worship.

6.10.4 The Chaplain

The Chaplain oversees the Chapel and its programs and worship; the mandate of the Chaplain goes beyond worship and extends to nurturing spiritual life on campus to include counsel and comfort for those needing encouragement or support, to being a refuge to those in need, to enriching University life. All the work of the Chaplain is undertaken regardless of the religion, ideology or faith of those who seek. The Chaplain is appointed by the University and serves as Chaplain to the whole community, including both students and employees, with a responsibility to speak to the university as well as from within it.

6.10.5 Student Groups

Students engage in their faith pilgrimages in many ways, and the University provides ample opportunity to develop in faith. The Chapel services give opportunity to share in worship and develop leadership abilities; the Chapel Choir provides a way to express faith in music. Student groups operate autonomously, but often in conjunction with the Chaplain.

Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship has an active group that offers fellowship, singing, Bible study and prayer. The Student Christian Movement is also very active, and encourages students to translate Christian faith into action through issues of peace and social justice.

The Pre-Theology Society comprises those students who are considering ministry, and it meets occasionally for fellowship, study and mutual support.

6.10.6 Programs

Religious awareness and spiritual development are the concern of a variety of programs initiated by student groups, the Department of Religious Studies and the Office of the Chaplain. These may include guest lecturers, forums for dialogue on religious matters, and other special events.

6.11 Student Life

6.11.1 The Director of Student Life and International Services

The Director of Student Life and International Services is responsible for the quality of student life and for maintaining effective liaison with student administrative bodies, student organizations and individual students. The Director oversees orientation, the campus life of students, the quality of residence life, International Centre staff and services, and non-academic misconduct (e.g. Student Code of Conduct). The Director and other staff in Student Life are available for consultation and guidance on academic, personal, and extracurricular matters.

6.11.2 Academic Concerns

Students with academic concerns are encouraged to speak first with their professors and/or with the Head of the Department or appropriate academic Dean. The Manager of Academic Support, Student Development Counsellors, the MASU Ombudsperson, and Registrar’s Office staff are also available as resources.

6.11.3 Academic Support

Assistance with academic skills is provided by the office of Academic Support, located in the R. P. Bell Library. Academic Support offers programs such as the Writing Resource Centre, the Peer Tutor program, PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions), and Fresh START study skills labs. Inquiries and requests for assistance should be directed to the Manager of Academic Support at <> .

6.11.4 Writing Resource Centre

The Writing Resource Centre (WRC) can assist students with written assignments in any subject area, at any stage of the writing process. Writing tutors are available in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Sciences. The WRC also provides professional writing support to students with EAL (English as an Additional Language). The WRC is located in the R.P. Bell Library, and appointments with a writing tutor can be booked online through the Library website at <>

6.11.5 Math Help Centre and Physics Help Centre

The Math Help Centre and the Physics Help Centre each operate as a drop-in service for students who need assistance in Mathematics or Physics. These supports are run by the Mathematics and Physics departments, and are intended to support students in introductory courses. However, students in any MtA course who want help in math-related topics are welcome to use the Math Help Centre. Both the Math Help Centre and the Physics Help Centre are located in the R.P. Bell Library. Schedules can be found through the Mathematics department, the Physics department, and on the Library website.

6.11.6 Residence Academic Mentors

Residence Academic Mentors (AcMen) assist residence students with academic resources necessary for academic assistance. AcMen organize help sessions, provide access to tutors, and hold regular office hours in their respective residences. Please feel free to contact any of them at any time in person or by email if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

6.11.7 Academic Tutors

A list of peer tutors who may be able to help you with your courses is available through the office of Academic Support. If you would like to be listed as a peer tutor, simply email the manager of Academic Support at <> .

6.12 Student Life Resources

6.12.1 Personal Counselling

The demands of studies can be particularly stressful when students encounter additional challenges of health, family, relationships or other life issues. Mount Allison provides two accredited Student Development Counsellors, from whom students may receive confidential support and assistance for a variety of personal issues including stress, adjustment to university, anxiety, depression, alcohol or drug use, sexuality, relationships, sexual assault, family dysfunction and grief. The need for psychiatric, psychological, or additional mental health services may be facilitated through the counsellors. To meet with the counsellors a student can visit the Wellness Centre on the ground floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre or call 364-2163 to schedule an appointment. As well, the Student Development Counsellors offer walk-in counselling hours three times per week.

In addition, Mount Allison coordinates with external counselling agencies in the area and a psychologist is on campus regularly. Students may also connect with counselling services in the area directly.

For more information about counselling services, please visit the Wellness Centre website at <>

6.12.2 Experiential Learning and Career Development

Experiential learning and Career Development is located in the Wallace McCain Student Centre. It facilitates work-integrated learning experiences that develop student competencies which help to support individual career transition. A variety of internships are available to support individual student learning and personal development. The Career Services Coordinator offers individual consultations and provides information on graduate and professional programs, careers, study, volunteer, and work abroad programs. Information is available on occupational profiles, labour market trends, résumé writing, job search techniques and preparing for interviews. Workshops are also available on mentorship, networking, skill development, entrepreneurship, and digital and information literacy.

6.12.3 Employment

On-campus part time job opportunities are available at Mount Allison. Students may earn extra income through employment with Dining Services, the Library, the Event Services Staff, Residence Staff, Bar Services, the Pond, the Bookstore, Conference Office and Summer Camps, and various academic departments. Contact the appropriate department of interest for details and/or Experiential Learning and Career Development.

An on-line job board is available to students at <> . Hard copies of job postings, a variety of internships and on and off-campus career and summer employment opportunities, both part-time and full-time, are posted on a notice board located on the ground floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre. Federal and provincial summer employment program info brochures are also available at Experiential Learning and Career Development on the second floor of the Wallace McCain Student Centre.

6.12.4 Health Services

The Wellness Centre is a non-emergency health service for all Mount Allison Students open during the academic year (September to mid- April). It is a non- judgmental health service that strives to reduce health barriers for young adults living away from home with the support of a Registered Nurse/Educator. The Registered Nurse/Educator co-ordinates health care services of Mount Allison students, by triaging their individual needs through assessing , testing, planning, treating, providing health education and referrals when appropriate. A Family Physician provides limited clinic hours at the Wellness Centre. Other health extension professionals such as massage therapist and acupuncturist are available weekly on site as well. Emergencies are dealt with at the Emergency Department of the Sackville Memorial Hospital. Please see a list of student health services available on the Mount Allison University health web page at <>

6.12.5 Student Health Insurance

The Mount Allison Student Union (MASU) provides extended health and dental coverage to all students. All full-time students are automatically charged for the extended health and dental plans but can opt out if they provide MASU with proof of equivalent insurance coverage from another provider. Full-time international students are additionally covered by the MASU Basic Medical Insurance Plan. To opt out of the plan, students must provide MASU with proof of equivalent insurance coverage from another provider. Visiting exchange students and Canadians without provincial health care coverage can apply through MASU for medical coverage under the same plan. For more, go to the MASU website at <> or email <>

6.12.6 Dietary and Nutritional Concerns

To discuss dietary and nutritional concerns please contact Dining Services (506) 364-2423

6.12.7 Student Wellness

Mount Allison takes a holistic approach to student wellness. Staff across the University collaborate to provide comprehensive wellness support for students. Inquiries about services and supports can be directed to the Wellness Centre by email to <> . Information, materials and programming regarding student health and wellness can also be requested through the Wellness Centre, and may be available on the web at <> .

6.12.8 Landlord/Tenant Concerns

Students with inquiries about landlord/tenant relations or leases are encouraged to contact the Office of the Rentalsman in Moncton.

6.12.9 International Students

Mount Allison strives to provide a welcoming, engaging, and supportive learning environment for students from all nationalities and backgrounds. Students with citizenship outside of Canada form an important part of Mount Allison's international community. To facilitate the social, cultural, and academic adjustment to life at Mount Allison, the International Centre organizes international orientation sessions prior to the start of each term. Support continues throughout the year in the form of dedicated programs and services, as coordinated by the International Student Advisor. For a full list of programs and services visit the International Centre's website. The Mount Allison campus community features a range of clubs, societies, committees and projects which help to promote cross-cultural awareness, understanding, and appreciation. Mount Allison University has strict guidelines which protect all students' right to live and study in an environment free from fear of discrimination on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, and national origin.

6.12.10 Student Conduct

In 2016, Mount Allison's Student Governance Policy (1989) was replaced by the Academic Integrity Policy and the Student Code of Conduct. The Academic Integrity Policy sets the University's standards for student conduct in academic matters and is administered by the Vice-President, Academic and Research. The Student Code of Conduct sets the University's standards for student conduct in non-academic matters and is administered by the Vice-President, International and Student Affairs. Other related policies governing students' non-academic misconduct include the Residence Life Code of Conduct, the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Policy, and the Racism and Racial Harassment Prevention and Response Policy. All students at Mount Allison, by virtue of their admission to the University, are subject to the regulations outlined in these documents. The University reserves the right to suspend or dismiss any student for infractions of the regulations. Neither the University nor any of its regents or officers shall be under any liability whatsoever because of such action.

6.13 Services for Students With Disabilities

6.13.1 Policy on Students with Disabilities

Mount Allison University is proud to be an institution that welcomes and supports a diverse student body. To this end, Mount Allison is committed to providing support for students with disabilities, and, where warranted and without compromising academic standards, will provide reasonable accommodations.

Copies of the University's Policy on Students With Disabilities may be obtained from the Director, Accessibility and Student Wellness and can be viewed on the Mount Allison website.

The Meighen Centre provides a range of services to support the academic needs of students with disabilities. All inquiries related to services and accommodations for students with disabilities should be addressed to the Director, Accessibility and Student Wellness' office at (506)364-2527. Before services and accommodations can be provided, students must present documentation of their disability to the Meighen Centre.

6.13.2 The Meighen Centre

The Meighen Centre provides services including academic counselling, a peer tutoring program, a note taking program, assistance with Canada Access Grant applications, access to and instruction in the use of assistive technology, access to text books in alternate format, and the provision of accommodations for writing tests and examinations when appropriate. For more information about the Meighen Centre, please consult <> .

Students with a disability who are applying for admission to Mount Allison are strongly encouraged to identify themselves on the application form. As well, they should make contact with the Meighen Centre as early as possible in the admissions process.

Students currently attending Mount Allison who have been previously identified with a disability, or who suspect they have a disability, and who want to access support services should contact the Director, Accessibility and Student Wellness at (506) 364-2527.